Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

BAND OR DJ?!

I'm getting married in September of 2014, not sure if it's going to be inside or outside yet, but I need your opinions of whether I should get a band or DJ. My mother says having a DJ is more traditional and that a DJ is too "childish." In a way I kinda agree with her.. but I still don't know what I want yet. What are your opinions about this? Band or DJ??

Re: BAND OR DJ?!

• Personally, I prefer DJs, just because you get a wider music variety, and you don't have to deal with set breaks.  And I always feel like bands have less volume control, too- I've been to way too many events (weddings and work dinners) where the band drowns out all possibility for conversation during dinner, which I'm not a fan of.  Not that some DJs don't have that problem too, they just have more control over it.

• Have you priced each? That was the deciding factor for us. DJ was reasonable.
  • I'm having trouble deciding this too, however i'm leaning towards a band.... is there a band you have in mind? 
  • we like the idea of a band, for we like live music-- but a DJ is much more affordable in most cases.  If we found a band that we really liked and had a nice variety we would have considered it; but every band we liked was at least 3 grand in our area, which was not in the budget.  We were very happy paying the DJ $800.

Anniversary
  • Jessica41381Jessica41381 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I think it depends on budget and crowd. If you have a crowd that enjoys dancing to music with a mix, more club sound with a volume that can be controlled I say go for dj, if you like a more live sound and if potential volume problems aren't an issue I say go for band. I like the ease of a dj who has a million and one songs that can be played while sometimes a band won't know a specific song.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Band. DJ's make me think of middle school dances for some reason.
  • I'm getting married in September of 2014, not sure if it's going to be inside or outside yet, but I need your opinions of whether I should get a band or DJ. My mother says having a DJ is more traditional and that a DJ is too "childish." In a way I kinda agree with her.. but I still don't know what I want yet. What are your opinions about this? Band or DJ??
    Have you priced out the difference?  We got a great DJ that read the crowd and played a variety of music for about $900.  To get a good band, we'd probably be looking at at LEAST 5k.   We put the difference towards our honeymoon in Bora Bora.  :D 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards