Wedding Invitations & Paper

suggestions/edit my invitation wording please--on a boat!

I need help figuring out how to list our location. Our ceremony and reception/dancing/everything will be on a yacht on San Francisco Bay. The dock doesn't have an exact street address; we're leaving from Fort Mason Center, which is a BIG place. I will be including an insert in the wedding invitation with a Google Map with a little star (*) at the dock.

Also, my stepfather and mother are paying for the wedding. I'm just going to make up their names below. Anyway, I want to make sure the rest of my invitation is worded well, so please make any [constructive] comments, thanks!

Dr. Barry and Carol Smith  
request the honor of your presence at the marriage of her daughter

MyFirst Lastname
to
Fiance'sFirst Lastname

Sunday, the twenty-ninth of September, two thousand thirteen
at 6 o'clock in the evening

aboard the Commodore Merlot
departing Fort Mason Center
2 Marina Blvd, San Francisco, California 

Re: suggestions/edit my invitation wording please--on a boat!

• DARN IT!!! I don't know why I made that mistake...I know and I *meant to write* "request the pleasure of your company"  NOT "honor of your presence."  It's just been too long a day.
  • I'd do the following (sorry, I don't mean this to overwhelm):

1) Put "request the pleasure of your company" and "at the marriage of her daughter" on separate lines.
    2) Eliminate the year.  It should be going out 6 to 8 weeks before the wedding date, so the year is redundant.
    3) Spell out the word "six" in "6 o'clock" and eliminate "in the evening."  People know that weddings generally don't take place at 6:00 am.
    4) Put "2 Marina Blvd" and "San Francisco, California" on separate lines, and spell out the word "Boulevard."
  • Curve ball time! The coordinator from the yacht company suggested that I put the following (in some form) on the invitations:

Boarding at 5:45, departure at 6 pm sharp

Here's what it currently looks like (and my invitations are landscape orientation, not portrait, so the lines may look too long....they're not. There's not enough room to put things on 7 different lines as CMGr's suggestion above)

Dr. Barry and Mrs. Carol Smith
    request the pleasure of your company at the marriage of her daughter

My First Last
    to 
    Fiance'sFirst Last

Sunday, the twenty-ninth of September, two thousand thirteen
    at six o'clock in the evening

aboard the Commodore Merlot
    Gashouse Cove, 10 Marina Boulevard, San Francisco
    =========================================
    So where, if anywhere, would you stick the "boarding at 5:45" bit? I'm tempted to just put it on the map enclosure card. The map enclosure is necessary, you see, because Google Maps does not accurately show where 10 Gashouse Cove is, it drops the pin onscreen at a spot about .15 mile away from the boarding point. :-/
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks for the info on the order of the names, I appreciate it! Can it be "Mrs." instead of "Ms." ? My mom uses "Mrs." She prefers not to be Mrs. Bob Smith, she wants her own name listed, so I will put hers first.

The designer said there is no italics available in the font that's being used on the invitation. I asked them for italics first, but I am really not going to raise a fuss. I don't think it would look very good in the design the underline it, so I'm just going to let that go.

I'm not using full names because my middle name is Jean and Fiance's last name is Green, and people will certainly jump to the "Green Jeans" conclusion on their own, I don't need to help them get there faster! ;-)

So there's really no way to put the "boarding at 5:45, departure at 6:00 sharp" information on the invitation itself, is there?

• I know that your invitations are landscape, but I think daughter looks really weird on its own line. I would still break that section up traditionally, as Cmgr suggested, as it doesn't add any more lines.
  • Hahahahaa, I think that's just your screen, libby! "Daughter" is the last word in the second line. Your computer must have just wrapped the text. It still is all on one line on my screen. ;-) I can see how that would look very strange though!
  • makasha21 said:

Hahahahaa, I think that's just your screen, libby! "Daughter" is the last word in the second line. Your computer must have just wrapped the text. It still is all on one line on my screen. ;-) I can see how that would look very strange though!

Haha you're right...my phone was just acting goofy. I'm glad that isn't how you are formatting it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards