Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

language of service - warn or not?

Our ceremony isn't going to be in English. About half of our guests are fluent in this language with a few more having a basic understanding ( but not enough to understand the whole service) 
Do we need to tell people before hand that the service won't be in English?

(We don't have a website)

Re: language of service - warn or not?

• Options
    I think it would be polite to spread the "no English service" message by word of mouth-I was in a wedding last month where the religious part of the ceremony was in a different language that maybe half of us understood (me not included). It wasn't a big deal, but it was nice that the bride had told us beforehand.
  • Options
    Schatzi13 said:
    If there's no indication (e.g., location in non-English-speaking country or invitation in the language) that the ceremony will not be in English, I agree with PPs that spreading that information via word of mouth would be polite. There's nothing wrong with having your ceremony in whatever language you feel most fitting (unless the law states otherwise), but it would be nice for people who don't speak that language to have a heads-up.
    I could do the invites bilingual
    The ceremony itself is going to be very very standard (no extras if you like)
  • Options
    Word of mouth is sufficient.

It might be nice if the officiant explains, in English, the various parts of the ceremony.

I have been to Jewish weddings, conducted in Hebrew, where the rabbi pauses to say something like "And now, I will ask for the couple's consent to be married", then continues in Hebrew. I thought that was considerate of the non-Jews in attendance. Very nice.
  • Options
    Yes, it always helps guests if they understand what they are going to see wether it is in English or not. Also because there are so many different languages nowadays it will help you decide wether or not you need to hire a translator. For example, I am fluent in both Irish and Scottish Gaelic - therefore my wedding ceremony may have pieces of Gaelic vows in it. However, not all of my family speaks the language- so in this case I may need to give either my guests translations with the programs or have a Gaelic speaking translator tell them what I would be saying.
  • Options
    I second the ideas of both spreading the info via word of mouth and having some sort of program in English that will help non-other-language speakers follow along. It doesn't need to be a direct translation, but something that gives them a sense of what is happening.

Example:

Traditional (insert language here) blessing, read by so-and-so
    Sermon
    Exchange of marriage vows
  • Options
    When my MOH got married, she had a traditional Hindi service in the morning, to which the bridal party was invited.  We had NO idea what was going on, but her extended family graciously clued us in as to what was being said/promised/etc.  We all had a very good time. :)
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Some of our ceremony included readings in different languages. We had the English translations projected onto a screen.
  • Options
    We had a bi-lingual service. One thing you may want to consider doing if your budget & time allows is to make a bi-lingual program so guests that don't speak that language may still be able to follow along.
  • Options
    Are you getting married in the US?
  • Options
    Are you getting married in the US?
    Umm Why?
    (And no)

Thanks and thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding that was 100% in Latvian, and the programs were 100% in Latvian.  I had no idea what was going on, aside from when they exchanged rings, because I could see them doing so.  I think an English explanation and perhaps a partially English program would be a nice gesture for those who don't speak your native language.

Note-the wedding was still beautiful, but I just didn't feel very engaged or included in the ceremony, if that makes sense.  

Meddied since 6/15/13!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards