Wedding Etiquette Forum

Controversial Wedding Gift & "Covering Your Plate"

wabanziwabanzi member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited June 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Several of you should enjoy this article.  The brides blew up at a guest over gifting *etiquette.* 

"Controversial Wedding Gift Sparks Text War and Ends Friendships"

I could never insult a guest like this. I never even heard of "covering your plate" before joining wedding boards.  

[Edited to state sorry if you've already read the article]
20130121-125529.jpg 
  Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Controversial Wedding Gift & "Covering Your Plate"

• wow! my mind is blown by the sheer stupidity of these brides. i would be over the moon to have a guest think out of the box and put effort into a gift like that, even if it contained things i couldn't eat. some people...!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I'll take that gift basket...
  • Like I stated, sorry if you had seen it. I hadn't.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ToueToue member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Wow, some can be so self involved and rude.  Thanks for the link.
  • sometimes life is hard.
  • This has been posted several times. You should be able to find the threads still if you want to see what was said before.
    Not everyone reads every post ever on these boards.
    Well, excuse the ever living fuck out of me for suggesting other threads that might interest OP.
    Whoa, there's no need to yell.
  • @aRachel21

Whoa, there's no need to post a new topic without at least skimming through recent threads first.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• acove2006 said:

@aRachel21

Whoa, there's no need to post a new topic without at least skimming through recent threads first.

So this is the first time someone posted something that's already been posted?  There haven't been like 400 posts about inviting SOs, honeymoon registries, cash bars, and bridesmaid duties?? 
  • aRachel21 said:
    acove2006 said:

@aRachel21

So this is the first time someone posted something that's already been posted?  There haven't been like 400 posts about inviting SOs, honeymoon registries, cash bars, and bridesmaid duties?? 

When people just ask a generic question about these, it's just as obnoxious.  And people DO point it out.  But unless it was just barely discussed, a lot of people don't care too much.

A lot of people post on a frequently discussed topic, it's bound to happen.  However, a lot of the time, someone has their own unique situation and needs more tailored advice to answer their question.

Everyone should lurk a bit before starting a discussion.  I can't tell you how many times my questions have been answered just by reading previous posts.

However, this discussion does not fit your mold of people asking about SOs and whatnot.  No advice was requested.  This was nothing more than a link to a topic that's been discussed FOUR times in the last week or so.  THAT's why PPs have responded the way they have.

We get that some people just don't think about lurking first, it happens.  It appears that OP let this go, and you should too.

• When people just ask a generic question about these, it's just as obnoxious.  And people DO point it out.  But unless it was just barely discussed, a lot of people don't care too much.

A lot of people post on a frequently discussed topic, it's bound to happen.  However, a lot of the time, someone has their own unique situation and needs more tailored advice to answer their question.

Everyone should lurk a bit before starting a discussion.  I can't tell you how many times my questions have been answered just by reading previous posts.

However, this discussion does not fit your mold of people asking about SOs and whatnot.  No advice was requested.  This was nothing more than a link to a topic that's been discussed FOUR times in the last week or so.  THAT's why PPs have responded the way they have.

We get that some people just don't think about lurking first, it happens.  It appears that OP let this go, and you should too.

Amen.

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Didn't want to cause any issues.  I was out of the country last week and wasn't on the boards.  I did do a quick search, but used the title of the article (zero results) and there was nothing on the first page or so under etiquette, so I posted the link.  Another person posted it the same day under another board (probably also used the title for search and didn't find it).  This stuff happens.  I see repeats all the time. Luckily, it is easy enough to skim through and just ignore duplicate posts.

I'm just glad the story was shared & was discussed (well, over-shared).

20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hadn't seen it. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • @aRachel21 or @wabanzi, would whichever one of you reported me please explain what, exactly, about my post violated the forum rules? ETA: my money is on Rachel, but I wanted to be fair and not assume.
    Do you mean the flag? I haven't ever used that. It would have to be a rather racist/sexist/etc. post for me to consider flagging it. I had no problem with you directing me to the previous post on the subject. 

Doesn't mean it was anyone who posted here though.  You could have a stalker flagger.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KnotPorscha

Looks like we have another who can't comprehend the flagging rules posted at the top of the page and needs a private tutor. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @AddieL73 Thanks for the heads up. I am messaging the user now.

@StageManager14 Those extra flags on the comment are from me trying to remove the flags and approve the post. I'll get those removed as soon as I can.
  • @stagemanager14  I just got a message from knot Porscha, and I just wanted to let you know that I totally did not mean to flag you!  I had no idea that I even did it... I must have pressed it when I was scrolling on my phone?  SORRY!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards