Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Sigh. PB Dinnerware woes.

Okay, not really woes.

When we first got engaged (over a year ago), we registered because a few relatives had wanted to get us engagement gifts. They got us casual dinnerware from Pottery Barn (LINK) among other things. At our shower in February they got us another set (so we now have 8 of each piece in the set). We were thrilled.

Two problems:

1) Pottery Barn has a different white set I'm starting to think I would really much prefer (LINK
2) All of this dinnerware is just sitting at my mom's in CA since I figured we might as well wait until after the wedding in CA to ship all of this to where we live in DC. 

Because of the above, would it be crazy nutso to return all the dinnerware in CA, get it put on gift cards, and then re-buy everything in DC? Would I be a horrible person if I bought the dinnerware I like more instead? Would PB even let me do this? 

Thanks! 

(Also, while we're on the topic of my psychotic-ness: when FI and I got engaged, my dad bought us a Le Cruset purple teapot. I realized afterward it came in turqouise, and I wanted to return it for that color. FI said no, purple looks great. Since then, my parents have bought us a turqouise stand mixer and turqoise Dualit toaster. I am still alarmingly annoyed by the purple teapot, despite my love for it other than the color. Sigh. Thank you for hearing my confession, haha.)
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Sigh. PB Dinnerware woes.

• Options
    The PB white dinnerware got horrible horrible reviews - I remember researching it when we were trying to decide.  The coupe and great white got fabulous reviews.  If you feel them in-store you can tell a difference.  The PB white, while attractive, is incredibly thin and apparently chips with like no effort at all.  I remember reading review after review of this issue, especially with the bowls.  Sticking with a thicker porcelain makes sense.

PB's Emma line also got terrible reviews.  Their Gabriella and Cambria lines got great reviews.  I agonized about that (and ended up going with fiesta because I got bored with white), so I have clear memories of this.  We also looked at Lenox Aspen which gets great reviews - the shape was just a little modern for us.

That said, if it's something  you want it's not a problem to return and re-buy.  PB is pretty good about that.  I just went through it myself last weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and because you mentioned turquoise... a guest of ours got us a whole set of these (though we didn't register for them).  If you like a pop of color on your white table once in awhile, I highly recommend - it's a crappy picture, but they are seriously cool:

And frankly, I would return the purple teapot.  I wouldn't want to be annoyed every morning when I walked in my kitchen and saw it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with returning and re-buying, but keep in mind that if you do actually buy in DC, that 10 percent sales tax will eat into your gift cards (though I guess you'd probably go to VA to actually buy, since I think the closest PB is in Clarendon).
  • Options
    No I think it's fine.

BTW - we have PB great white.  We actually mix up the collections.  We have the coupe mugs, GW dinnerware cereal bowls and I think the traditional plates.  We also have some of the ramekin and snack bowls.    We also have some of the square plates.

We have had them for almost 5 years and 2 moves.  They are great.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Okay the bad reviews are changing my mind, but I do think I will return the coupe and rebuy the coupe either in VA or MD. I think MD has lower sales tax? Not sure. Then I don't have to deal with shipping woes!

I would return the teapot, but it was an engagement gift from my dad and he told us to use it, so I have. And now it's certainly not new. Maybe someday I'll replace it with the turquoise. 

Thanks all! You've put my mind at ease. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better, my color scheme for my kitchen is purple and turquoise  - My mixer is purple, my kettle and dutch oven are turquoise, my utensil crock and spoon rest are colbalt blue, and my dishes are Fiesta in both purple and turquoise. It's a really cheery look when it's all together with multiple items in the color scheme and I've gotten a lot of compliments.

I didn't go crazy with this stuff because I think it could become overkill if you got a whole set of dishes (and I wasn't sure about the quality) but I threw in a table runner, some tea towels, a napkin holder and some salt and pepper shakers from this collection to tie everything together:

No idea if that's actually your style but it might make you feel better to see the teapot as a cohesive element in a theme instead of a random different color thing? I like it because it isn't over the top screaming "This kitchen is peacock themed!!!!" but more some things tying the colors together in a subtle way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you're fine.

Just FYI for anyone who finds this useful, we registered for and received the Emma dinnerware, and have not had any sort of breakage problems, even though DH and I can sometimes be a little clumsy.  We don't microwave it though (just in pyrex), so that might make a difference.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards