Wedding Reception Forum

Thoughts on guests dining in separate rooms during reception?

My fiance and I are THIS close to booking a venue that we love, but we're worried about one thing: because it's an old estate, the rooms are broken up. There's a ballroom that seats 60, and three smaller rooms that seat about 30 people each. We're looking at about 115-125 people and we're worried about separating guests during dinner. Does anyone think people will be bothered by this, or is it not a big deal whatsoever? We're definitely not interested in banquet halls, but that and a tent seem to be the only options for seating everyone together. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks! :)

Re: Thoughts on guests dining in separate rooms during reception?

• I'd love to hear if you ended up booking your venue with separate dining rooms and how it worked out.  We are considering a similar type of venue for our reception and having the same dilemma.
    Thanks!
  • As a guest, I personally wouldn't like this.  In fact, I would be really annoyed and would feel slighted if I was seated in a room totally separate from the bride and groom.  If you are planning on doing speeches (BM, MOH, etc.) during dinner, which is common, guests in the other rooms will miss out on these.  They will also miss out on things like clinking their glasses to get you two to kiss (which I personally wouldn't mind, but some guests really enjoy).  

Our reception was technically in two rooms, but they were separated by huge french doors that opened very wide, so the space really flowed like one room.  In addition, no matter where guests were seated, they had a clear view of the head table.  It doesn't sound like this is the case in your situation, though, so if I were you, I would find a different venue or cut your guest list to fit in one room.
  • Truthfully, I'd be pretty offended if I were placed in a room other than the primary one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jmz2375 said:
    I'd love to hear if you ended up booking your venue with separate dining rooms and how it worked out.  We are considering a similar type of venue for our reception and having the same dilemma.
    Thanks!
    As this thread is over 2 years old and is the ONLY post the poster ever made on this forum, I'd say it's not likely she's coming back to respond. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:

jmz2375 said:
    I'd love to hear if you ended up booking your venue with separate dining rooms and how it worked out.  We are considering a similar type of venue for our reception and having the same dilemma.
    Thanks!
    As this thread is over 2 years old and is the ONLY post the poster ever made on this forum, I'd say it's not likely she's coming back to respond. 

AddieL73 said:

jmz2375 said:
    Thanks!

I was lured in by another zombie thread! Why do people keep resurrecting these two-year-old threads?
  • ZOMBIESSSS.

But I do actually have something to say.  I've been to a wedding like this and it was very uncomfortable.  We were placed in a room outside of the main room, which included the dance floor.  We ended up staying in our room because that's where all of our family was.  Never really joined the party.  Plus, it became awkward because the bride was white, the groom African American, and so when they put people in rooms based on families, etc., it ended up feeling like the reception was segregated.  We never got to know his family, friends, etc. because they were essentially kept in a different room and it just didn't work for mingling, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards