Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Confusion with Venue?

They only allow drinks that are served through the venue, which I'm assuming is a common thing.

But when they were talking about the bar they kept asking how many drinks each person was expected to have because they expect payment for alcohol before the reception. 

I have no idea!

Is there an average that most people figure on? Should I just assume a number of drinks per person and hope that is enough? I mean, sure... I hope people don't get trashed at the reception... but I'm not about to tell people they can only have 2 drinks or whatever. 

I have no idea what to tell the venue people, and have never been asked this before. I don't want to pay for a certain amount of drinks and not have enough... but I don't want the opposite either.

Has anyone else come across this?

Re: Confusion with Venue?

• They only allow drinks that are served through the venue, which I'm assuming is a common thing.

But when they were talking about the bar they kept asking how many drinks each person was expected to have because they expect payment for alcohol before the reception. 

I have no idea!

Is there an average that most people figure on? Should I just assume a number of drinks per person and hope that is enough? I mean, sure... I hope people don't get trashed at the reception... but I'm not about to tell people they can only have 2 drinks or whatever. 

I have no idea what to tell the venue people, and have never been asked this before. I don't want to pay for a certain amount of drinks and not have enough... but I don't want the opposite either.

An average is 2 drinks per guest for the first hour, and 1 drink per hour after that.  You can pay for that up front, and then ask your venue to contact you (or a parent, or wedding coordinator, or someone else) if you start getting close to that amount, and you can pay for more, if needed.
  • Ahhhh, that makes sense! Thanks
  • cmgilpin said:
    They only allow drinks that are served through the venue, which I'm assuming is a common thing.

I have no idea!

An average is 2 drinks per guest for the first hour, and 1 drink per hour after that.  You can pay for that up front, and then ask your venue to contact you (or a parent, or wedding coordinator, or someone else) if you start getting close to that amount, and you can pay for more, if needed.

Took the words outta my mouth.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    scribe95 said:
    If you have a lot of drinkers in your crowd ask if they have a flat per person rate. Instead of paying by the drink we paid $13 bucks a person (not children). They said no one had ever done it before but the option was in their pamphlet and we knew we had a lot of heavy drinkers. Worked great for us.
    Ditto. Flat rate worked best for our crowd, who is known to take full advantage of an open bar.
  • Depending on your crowd a flat rate may end up being cheaper then by consumption.  Talk to your venue about the options available for an open bar and see how they can work with you.

• can you have a full open bar or an open bar with just 2 siganure drinks 2 beers to choose from and 2 wines a red and a white? we have a full open bar included in our package deal and thats the normal in connecticut to have a full open bar but you can customize it 
  • I would definitely try to get an "open bar" rate. Our crowd drinks heavily at weddings and it was significantly cheaper for us to do that over a consumption bar.  
  • Our venue quoted us $12/person for beer & wine and $15/person for full bar.
  • Wow your venues are much lower then mine. I am doing a host bar for 3 hours. It is $30 a person. But its Beer, Wine and liquor (house). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards