Wedding Woes
Options

New Card Game Review -- Gloom

We found a new card game, that I think you ladies would love.  For some reason, I imagine Zsa and HMo would be the best.

You have a family of 5 members.  They are all crazed anyway, like the Nefarious Nanny, the twisted carnival conductor, Mr. Giggles the clown, etc.  But, you are trying to lower their self worth as low as you can get.  Then, when you have it as low as you think you can, you want to kill them off.  The first family fully dead, ends the game.  The winner is the owner of the family with the lowest self worth.

You lower their self worth by having horrible things happen to then.  Such as being Taunted by Tigers, Pursued by Poodles, Ruined by Rum, etc.  So, you're telling a story about what horrible things happened.  You can have good things happen and you want to play those on your opponents, lifting their self-worth scores.  You make up a story to go along with it.  My favorite story I ended up with was Thumbalisa, the mediocre miniature opera singer, who was Menaced by Mice in her dressing room and while running from them was Vexed by Vipers, Angered by Asps and something by Snakes, which lead to her being Smothered with Sores and her untimely death by Burdened with Boils.  Only another player intervened to keep her death from happening, their Butler cast a voodoo that meant someone found her and got her to the hospital in time.  Only I was able to flip it on my next turn and say that the woo always comes back to the caster and make them sick and poor Thumbalisa died for real this time.

We had a blast and we were all cracking up.  If you like Series of Unfortunate Events, this will be right up your alley.  We already want to buy an expansion pack.  The base game was $25 and we've already played the hell out of it.  It's really simple to pick up as well, which is always nice.

Re: New Card Game Review -- Gloom

• Options

I haven't played this game in years!  I know we own it.  We'll have to pull it back out again out of the massive game cabinet...

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

We had a blast with it.  We had split 2 bottles of wine 4 ways and it was just the right amount of buzzed to be coming up with crazy things and finding them hilarious.  The other lady actually teared herself up at one point with her story, which sent us all into giggling fits.  It was nice to have an actual story to go with the strategy.

• Options
    That sounds fun. Maybe I'll get that for our vacation in September.
  • Options

Oh and it only took...about an hour?  That's with all the laughing and storytelling.  DH and I played by ourselves and it was a little bit faster and still funny.  So, it's super simple to pick up and simple to play, while still being fun.  High marks in my book. 

Sometimes I get tired of playing games that have a 32 page rule book.

• Options
    I really enjoy this game, we actually have a couple expansions for it that we have yet to bust out. Maybe it's time!

The design of the cards is also wicked cool. I haven't seen another card game like it.
  • Options

I'd like to know what you think of the expansions.  The reviews are really mixed.  Most people seem to like the additional family and the additional modifiers/events/deaths, but complain about new mechanics that were introduced.

Yes, the art reminds me of Edward Gorey, which I really like.  And the clear design is just an interesting game device to me.

• Options
    The artwork is what originally made me purchase it from amazon on a whim (I think I was looking up Edward Gorey books to purchase for my nephew and Gloom was in the list of things other people had purchased)

I will report back when we actually have time to have a game night and check this out. Some of our friends got us a few of the expansions for our wedding and we just haven't had the opportunity to open them yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards