July 2013 Weddings

Sparkler Send Off?

Hey... Is anyone doing one of these?  If so, how are you planning it?  So my photographer says lighting wise, it will be best to do it around 9 PM.  However, our reception starts at 5 PM, dinner at 5:30, and last dance is currently planned for 10:15 PM.  I think it would be awkward to have it break up the dancing.  I think most people would just leave rather than start dancing again.  However, the positives I can see to having it earlier are that 1) we'd have more guests still around to participate, 2) people might be slightly less drunk/safer with the sparklers.  So I'm wondering whether I should have it before the dancing even starts, so maybe that would be around 7 PM.  Would that be awkward though?  Any other ideas from others planning a sparkler send off or gone to a wedding where this was planned?  What did and did not work well?  Thanks in advance!!

BTW: We're just 5 days away from our 7/12 wedding :-)

Re: Sparkler Send Off?

• We were going to do one but im glad we didnt! alot of guests left early (mostly older ones). You really just have to know your crowd. but since your reception is ending earlier than mine did, it might be better. I think if you did it around 10 it'd be less awkward. Just order less sparklers and see if the lighting is that important. My photographer used this thing called a beauty bulb for our night time pictures and they look AMAZING!
  • Oh and since we didnt do the sparklers, we did a "send off" after our ceremony.. we did tossing cones with lavender, less stressful to plan and everyone was there participate, lighing was good because it was day time and the excitement is right after the ceremony! 

It was perfect because we walked out to sweet disposition, by the temper trap. it literally felt like a movie!
  • We're doing a sparkler 'send off'....reception music has to end at 10 so at 9:55 FI and I are doing one last slow song just the two of us while the coordinators get everyone ready for the send off. After that we're having pizza delivered for a late night snack so people can hang out, sober up/keep the party going, say goodbye, etc. We have our venue (a small resort/inn) rented out all weekend so people are staying anyways, unfortunately music has to stop at 10. If we were going to go later though I think we'd just have some friends/family go take sparkler pics with us instead of a send off. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello and thanks for the advice! Even tho dinner is not till 530, cocktail hour starts at 330 so I think most guests will be worn out much later than 8. Talked to my DJ today who said he's seen a ton of these and he thought we could do last dance at 1015 and send off immediately after. Good luck with your weddings!!
  • I'm doing this as well. Our venue recommended it as they do it all the time. Our wedding will be all in 1 place from 7pm - 11pm. So we are doing last dance at 10:30 so everyone can line up. I feel everything will go by so fast that ppl won't get a chance to blink their eyes! Lol. There's a video of their send off on their website that really helped with a visual of what it would be like.
  • And most ppl assume that it's the end of the night when you start the send off. Because that's exactly what it is. I would wait till the end like your dj recommended. Good Luck & Congratulations
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards