Just Engaged and Proposals

What happens at an engagement party?

We just got engaged on Sunday! Have already jumped into planning, but I am wondering what all happens at an engagement party? Does everyone have them?

Re: What happens at an engagement party?

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Fir st and foremost, you don't throw your own engagement party.  If someone offers to host one for you, it's a get together where people celebrate your engagement.  Some are fancy, others are quite lowkey.  It's a chance for people to say congratulations, have a great time and maybe meet your SO if they haven't already.  If nobody offers to host one for you, no biggie.  There are plenty of people who don't have engagement parties too.
  • Don't throw your own! You don't have to have one. A lot of people don't.

I've gone to some that are some full sit down dinners, some that are just cocktails, and some that are just BBQ's at someone's house. Nothing really special happens - it's just a time to celebrate the engagement.
  • I've only been invited to one, and I didn't go.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    miyajanae said:
    We just got engaged on Sunday! Have already jumped into planning, but I am wondering what all happens at an engagement party? Does everyone have them?
    HI there... I believe they are supposed to be thrown in your and your fiance 's honor by your parents. My mom has been planning mine with my FMIL which usually isn't standard. My FMIL wanted to have it at their home bc some of my fiance's family is a lil colorful I guess you could say. lf your mom isn't around  or alive I would skip it and just send announcements. 
  • GB520 said:
    miyajanae said:
    HI there... I believe they are supposed to be thrown in your and your fiance 's honor by your parents. My mom has been planning mine with my FMIL which usually isn't standard. My FMIL wanted to have it at their home bc some of my fiance's family is a lil colorful I guess you could say. lf your mom isn't around  or alive I would skip it and just send announcements. 
    An engagement party absolutely does not have to be thrown by your parents. And engagement announcements should ONLY be sent to people you will eventually be inviting to the wedding- you don't have to do these either. 
  • They aren't mandatory (or even common in my circle).  Here's what happens:

People arrive at the party, they congratulate the couple, there is eating, there is drinking, people eventually leave.

That's about it.  They aren't structured and there aren't any games like there are in showers.  
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• The engagement party is the time to celebrate you two and for the families to finally mingle and meet.
  • Congrats to you, miyajanae!

Now that I know now a few more details about engagement parties, I'd like to ask..
    If someone offers to throw you an engagement party, are you (bride/groom) expected to contribute to the party? Sorry for the stupid question..
  • Congrats to you, miyajanae!

Now that I know now a few more details about engagement parties, I'd like to ask..
    If someone offers to throw you an engagement party, are you (bride/groom) expected to contribute to the party? Sorry for the stupid question..
    Nope. If someone offers to host it is entirely their responsibility to pay. Just write a nice thank you note and get a host/ess gift like a bottle of wine if you want to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards