Attire and Accessories

Black dress

I have never envisioned myself in white or ivory....shutter! I always wear black and red. I bought a black dress. That is what I am comfortable in. My mom is disappointed. My wedding is going to be a night time wedding/reception and is starting at 6 and going until 1 am . What would you think if you saw a bride walk down the aisle in a black dress? 

FYI we have been together for 13 years, will not have children together.

Thoughts? 

Re: Black dress

  • AddieCakeAddieCake Beyond the Wall
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    member
    One of my bridesmaids wore a black and white patterned dress, and it was beautiful.  I wouldn't side-eye a bride in any color dress b/c I think it's a personal choice that doesn't affect me in the slightest. So I say if you want to wear a black dress, you should. However, whenever someone thinks of doing so, I am reminded of Sarah Jessica Parker always saying that she regrets wearing a black dress. So just make sure you know for sure you won't have any regrets!


    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    image
  • Thank you, Addiel73 for the response! I think I would regret it if I wore a light color. It's just not me! I have looked for a red dress without any luck! I only want chiffon. 
  • are u having a church wedding? some churches are funny about the color of dress you are wearing or the style 
  • Not a church wedding. Not religious at all. It's all in the same space. Ceremony, cocktail hour, then dinner and then party! Very modern space. The style of the dress is pretty modest although it's black! :-)
     
  • If you feel beautiful in it, and are sure you'll have no regrets, then I say go for it.  Sounds like it'll be a great fit to your very modern venue!

  • Honestly, I think your dress is one of the few instances where the "it's your day" line is applicable. I say go for it.




  • tammym1001tammym1001 Akron, Ohio
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Answers
    member
    If you want to wear black, I say go for it. Can we see a pic of the dress?
    image
  • If you want to wear black, I say go for it. Can we see a pic of the dress?
    Yes! I'd love to see it too. Personally, I like it when brides wear something non-traditional (and obviously it has no bearing on me as a guest if a bride wears the most traditional ballgown in the world!). Go for it - I also think brides look most radiant, relaxed, and beautiful when they wear something that is their own style.
    Anniversary
  • I say go for it.  I love white/ivory, but not on me.  I'm quite pale, so light colors tend to wash me out, and they're just not really my style.  I've tried on white dresses and can't find anything I like, so I'm probably going to wear this (clicky).

    Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

     

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

     

     

  • bakerie said:
    Honestly, I think your dress is one of the few instances where the "it's your day" line is applicable. I say go for it.
    Agreed!  I honestly wouldn't think much of the Bride's choice in a dress unless it was super revealing.  Yes, some people might be surprised by seeing a black dress at a wedding, but I doubt your loved ones will get really judgey about it.  Your mom is probably just surprised that your wedding dress isn't the "traditional" color and may be worried that you might regret the decision. If you feel gorgeous in the dress and it fits your style then go for it!
  • I think if it makes you feel beautiful, it's exactly what you should wear!

  • @mullerl Thanks. I really love both of those that you posted.

    Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

     

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

     

     

  • Black used to be the traditional color for wedding dresses until Queen Victoria wore white for her wedding.  So, if people object, just say you wearing a traditional color!
  • I'm wearing a black dress for our candle light wedding.  Like you I'm most comfortable in black and red so just couldn't see myself in a white dress.
  • I recently wore the short version of Heidi as a bridesmaid, and it's really a beautiful dress. Super flattering and comfortable, and I think it looks chic in black. Go for it.
  • Are you going to your funeral? I mean, that is essentially what black dresses are for. Funeral's. I know it sounds mean and all but that color has no business being at a wedding unless its on the groom. You just look really unhappy in it it, whereas white makes a woman look beautiful and pure. Also, black wedding dresses were originally brought in by Hollywood films making movie brides appear morose as they walked down the aisle. Is that how you truly want to appear? Like an unhappy movie bride being forced into something she doesn't want to do?
  • mullerl said:
    I think that is a lovely dress for your wedding. Wear what you're comfortable in.

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It would be nice if everybody agreed with your decision but it is YOUR day and YOUR decision. If you are more comfortable in black, then that's your choice and I'm sure you will look and feel beautiful on your big day. Go for it and have a great day.



    NerdyLucy
  • Kida07 said:
    Are you going to your funeral? I mean, that is essentially what black dresses are for. Funeral's. I know it sounds mean and all but that color has no business being at a wedding unless its on the groom. You just look really unhappy in it it, whereas white makes a woman look beautiful and pure. Also, black wedding dresses were originally brought in by Hollywood films making movie brides appear morose as they walked down the aisle. Is that how you truly want to appear? Like an unhappy movie bride being forced into something she doesn't want to do?
    Seriously? She can wear whatever she wants. I've worn black dresses at plenty of places other than funerals, I'm sure I looked happy. I'd wager she would look a lot unhappier if she wore white, which she doesn't like. You know what makes a bride beautiful? Wearing something they love, and are comfortable in. OP, the dress you posted is lovely and I'm sure you'll look amazing and happy on your wedding day.




    NerdyLucyCrazyCatLady3Anyachen83
  • bakerie said:
    Kida07 said:
    Are you going to your funeral? I mean, that is essentially what black dresses are for. Funeral's. I know it sounds mean and all but that color has no business being at a wedding unless its on the groom. You just look really unhappy in it it, whereas white makes a woman look beautiful and pure. Also, black wedding dresses were originally brought in by Hollywood films making movie brides appear morose as they walked down the aisle. Is that how you truly want to appear? Like an unhappy movie bride being forced into something she doesn't want to do?
    Seriously? She can wear whatever she wants. I've worn black dresses at plenty of places other than funerals, I'm sure I looked happy. I'd wager she would look a lot unhappier if she wore white, which she doesn't like. You know what makes a bride beautiful? Wearing something they love, and are comfortable in. OP, the dress you posted is lovely and I'm sure you'll look amazing and happy on your wedding day.

    Agreed.  This whole "white makes you look beautiful and pure" thing?  I wish.  When I put on white, I morph into a marshmallow.

    Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

     

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

     

     

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards