Catholic Weddings
Options

Priest Pre-Wedding Commentary

As I get closer to the wedding my priest is acting a little bizarre. As he was going through the form with questions he has to ask before giving us the form of completion of pre-marital counseling he says to me 'I get a lot of middle aged women in my office and I always tell them you should come speak to the young ladies in the parish before getting married...but then if they (the middle aged women) did that, no woman would ever get married."

He always makes it a point to tell me how miserable married women are...has anyone had this experience? I've been brushing it off up until this point and trying to glean wisdom from what he's trying to convey, but I just hope he doesn't bring this ho-hum attitude to the church the day of the wedding...I'm emotional as it is due to pre-wedding stress and these little comments are riling me more and more.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Re: Priest Pre-Wedding Commentary

• Options
    By "young women in the parish"... he means "married women"?  

I don't know why your priest would have a negative view of marriage like that.  Has he ever expressed concern about YOUR relationship in particular?  If not, I'd just keep shrugging it off, or if it's really offending you, just asking him (politely) why he is making discouraging remarks about marriage before your wedding.

If it makes you feel any better, he probably won't make any negative statements on the wedding day.  Our priest can be kind of ranty... and not very kind or pastoral.  I was worried our homily would be about those darn cafeteria catholics and how all those who remarried are living in sin.  But he was nice and cheerful on the wedding day and gave a nice homily about holiness in marriage.

SaveSave
  • Options
    He has not expressed any direct concern about our relationship, I'd hope he'd refuse to marry us if he did...maybe he's trying to drive home the significance of marriage, which I do not mind at all. Just struck a nerve this week I suppose.   
  • Options
    The significance, I understand completely.  Couples should know that marriage isn't all sunshine and roses.  But it's always worth the sacrifice.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    The last Catholic wedding I attended, the priest kept asking, during the homily, whether the groom was sure. He basically said "she's beautiful but there are lots of beautiful women! " Awkward and so inappropriate.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options
    I've heard a couple of priests comment that doing weddings is not their favorite part of the job, not because they don't believe in marriage, but because so many people just don't take the Sacrament seriously. For them, too many people are checking off the ceremony for their parents or for the pictures or as an excuse to get to the reception. Usually those same priests are overjoyed when they see people who really are putting God first in their lives and their marriages.

Seeing how many people don't take marriage seriously, dealing with the hard times in marriages (because people aren't as quick to seek spiritual direction from priests when things are going well), etc., could be disheartening for many priests.

I've never heard anything particularly egregious in a wedding homily. He might talk about the seriousness of the Sacrament, but is not likely to do anything really terrible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards