New Jersey
Options

Please help: Anyone with legal background?

I got divorced in early 2010. I was done with the marriage after 1 year, I actually started 'talking' to my new husband when I was still married to my ex. We connected on Facebook, I was unhappy, he was newly divorced, we just bonded. So, I bit the bullet and asked to get separated...He got a lawyer (which I thought was to represent us both, but they was just represented him) and the divorce papers were filed. I signed the papers (my mom read them over, said they were fine) and got remarried that Fall to my now husband. 

Apparently, I had until MArch of 2012 to my half of our CC debt. I didn't see that in the original divorce papers, but it's there...so now I'm being sued by my ex.

My ex emailed me a year ago. He said if I didn't pay him the 6K I owed him, he was taking legal action. I let him know I was filing for bankruptcy...I quite my job, moved out of stated (to be with my now husband) and lived off of credit cards to survive)  My ex knows all of this.  He's doing this to be spiteful.  Anyway, our Property SA stated that even if I declare bankruptcy, I STILL have to pay him.  Only, I don't work, have no savings and am a SAHM to my child.  How the hell am I supposed to pay him?

I honestly didn't believe him, he would always say things like this when we were married and he'd never follow though, (if you buy that, I'm returning it! If you take that money out of savings, we won't be able to pay the mortgage! Things like this) and the next thing I know, I'm being sued.  

I don't plan on paying seeing as I HAVE NO MONEY. I don't work. My husband supports us. I can't afford a lawyer, I have NO money and my husband is NOT happy I kept this debt from him. He doesn't think he should have to pay my debts and I don't either. I've been representing myself, and just responding via email to his lawyer who treats me like I'm an idiot.  

Now, I owe him over 11K because of ongoing fees, the CC debt and legal fees. I'm so stressed.  A part of me hopes he'll get tired and drop the whole thing.  

Can they go after my husband? What happens now? They are seeking a warrant for my arrest.  If I don't have the money, how am I supposed to pay him?  My phone is actually in my husband's name so I told the lawyer I didn't have a cell phone. Now, my BIL (a policeman) says they can use photos of me on my phone on FB as evidence that I'm a liar).  I also told them that I was the sole caretaker of my child.  Is that implying I'm a single mom?  Can I get into trouble for this?  Can I seriously go to jail for this? Has anyone EVER been through this?

Re: Please help: Anyone with legal background?

• Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Back again with this nonsense?  Put your big girl panties on and pay your bills.  Seriously copying and pasting the same exact thing on multiple sites is not going to change the answers you got.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    you posted this on Wedding bee weeks ago..you will get an even more harsh response here. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I got divorced in early 2010. I was done with the marriage after 1 year, I actually started 'talking' to my new husband when I was still married to my ex. We connected on Facebook, I was unhappy, he was newly divorced, we just bonded. So, I bit the bullet and asked to get separated...He got a lawyer (which I thought was to represent us both, but they was just represented him) and the divorce papers were filed. I signed the papers (my mom read them over, said they were fine) and got remarried that Fall to my now husband. 

Apparently, I had until MArch of 2012 to my half of our CC debt. I didn't see that in the original divorce papers, but it's there...so now I'm being sued by my ex.

My ex emailed me a year ago. He said if I didn't pay him the 6K I owed him, he was taking legal action. I let him know I was filing for bankruptcy...I quite my job, moved out of stated (to be with my now husband) and lived off of credit cards to survive)  My ex knows all of this.  He's doing this to be spiteful.  Anyway, our Property SA stated that even if I declare bankruptcy, I STILL have to pay him.  Only, I don't work, have no savings and am a SAHM to my child.  How the hell am I supposed to pay him?

I honestly didn't believe him, he would always say things like this when we were married and he'd never follow though, (if you buy that, I'm returning it! If you take that money out of savings, we won't be able to pay the mortgage! Things like this) and the next thing I know, I'm being sued.  

I don't plan on paying seeing as I HAVE NO MONEY. I don't work. My husband supports us. I can't afford a lawyer, I have NO money and my husband is NOT happy I kept this debt from him. He doesn't think he should have to pay my debts and I don't either. I've been representing myself, and just responding via email to his lawyer who treats me like I'm an idiot.  

Now, I owe him over 11K because of ongoing fees, the CC debt and legal fees. I'm so stressed.  A part of me hopes he'll get tired and drop the whole thing.  

Can they go after my husband? What happens now? They are seeking a warrant for my arrest.  If I don't have the money, how am I supposed to pay him?  My phone is actually in my husband's name so I told the lawyer I didn't have a cell phone. Now, my BIL (a policeman) says they can use photos of me on my phone on FB as evidence that I'm a liar).  I also told them that I was the sole caretaker of my child.  Is that implying I'm a single mom?  Can I get into trouble for this?  Can I seriously go to jail for this? Has anyone EVER been through this?

Get a job and pay the debt. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Don't forget the pro boards.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You need to get a job. You're right that your new husband shouldn't be responsible. It doesn't sound like you are going to be able to afford a lawyer and pay off the debt. Could you agree to some sort of arbitration? Maybe you can pay him a certain amount each week with the earnings of this job you're going to get.
  • Options
    **yawn**
  • Options
    Yea don't cheat on your husband. Now get a job.
  • Options
    OP, if you are for realz seeking legal advice on a wedding website -- you are doing it wrong.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Smitten2012Smitten2012 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013

Hi - although I understand the frustration of the other posters - this really isn't the forum for this type of request & it seems you have been posting this over and over again - I did want to offer my advice about your situation because you did turn to us for help - basically I hope you take the main advice that's been listed above = please get a job!

The only way to fix the situation that you are in is to 1) Look into a pro-bono or gov't assistance legal help to help you work out a payment plan and keep you on the right track with the legal side of this (please do not lie to authorities!) & 2) Start making good on what you owe - get a part time job, work from home since you are a SAHM - work in the evenings while your new husband is home. You have to take small steps but try to budget it out and it is a shame that you kept this hidden from your new husband - I hope this does not start a resentment on his end and more problems for you. Honesty is the best policy!  I would work through the budget you currently have and try to negotiate down the payments with your ex husbands attorney if you pay $500 per month you can pay this off in 2 years (given there will be no more interest collected on this amount). Good luck! 

Anniversary

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards