Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

gluten free options???

half of my family is gluten intolerant and I am wracking my brain for cost effective ways to have food for everyone at my wedding that also won't damage this messy eater's awesome dress.

Re: gluten free options???

• Well, meat, potatoes, rice, risotto, grits, rice noodles, lentils, quinoa, cheese, dairy, fruits, and veggies are all gluten-free. I think you have almost limitless options as long as you avid bread and pasta. You could do a meat or two, a couple veggie sides, starches like scalloped potatoes, or mashed potato bar, a green salad w/ GF dressing, and a vegetarian entree like stir fry w/ fried rice instead of noodles.... I mean your choices are really endless.
  • thanks I didn't know there were so many different options oh and good job with the weight loss and good luck
  • does anyone know where I can get a cake that is as close to gluten free as possible?
  • Thanks!  Gluten free is one of those things that is actually really easy to accommodate. I'm sure other ladies on here will come up with specific things if you want more ideas, but basically just avoid flour and you're set.
  • jodycakes.com has great gluten free cakes, but they are a bit pricey.
  • BBQ is also typically gluten free.
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    You should do a search for local bakeries or post about the cake on your local board.  In my city there is a well known GF bakery and another one that does a lot of vegan options (sometimes vegan = GF).  Cupcakes may work well because then you can so some regular and some GF.
  • Our local bakery made a gluten free cake that was pretty awesome.  Many bakeries are now accommodating GF.

Otherwise, just avoid bread and pasta and you'll be fine.  Make sure to talk to your caterer so that they don't sneak in anything.  We had a lamb carving station with okra and rice and miso glazed sea bass with risotto and carrots and bok choy.  There was also a salad that was GF, a  GF cake, and cherries jubilee (which is just cherries served over ice cream).  All of that was GF.  Our caterer also provided a selection of GF dinner rolls.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh and just to add some logistics... we made menu cards that specifically said that GF pasta (at the pasta station) and GF cake were available upon request.  There were other signs that said the same thing on the cake table and that pasta station.

The menu card indicated which items were GF and which were vegetarian.  We made sure everything was well spelled out for everyone.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards