Moms and Maids
Options

Psycho mom

Hey everybody, I need your advice.  Please give me your honest opinion. My fiance and I just got engaged in January and I have a mom that is very negative and her whole life was always to appease other people rather than be a mom to me.  This is fine because it is the way she is and for this reason she has never been a big part of my life.  

So after the engagement naturally I am very excited and I would like to include her in this because it is a big deal.  Within the first 3 minutes of the first conversation of the start to planning the wedding, she can sense that I am happy and she is alone so she turns the focus from "Why isn't your cousin your best man?" and then turns that to how she is extremely disappointed in me and it makes her sad.  This then turns into a very negative somber state.  

Two weeks after the engagement and a month and a half after she found out I was going to propose, she decides to move to San Francisco from her paid off home 20 miles away and takes out a $3,500 a month rent the moment we get engaged.  Randomly whenever we speak, you can hear it in her voice that she is way more excited about her apartment than her son getting married (tonality does not lie).  

My fiance comes from a very traditional family and in her family weddings and marriage are a very big deal.  My mom has been divorced for 30 years and is very unhappy in life.  My fiance's parents believe in the tradition of through big elaborate weddings for their children because in their family it is a once in a lifetime moment.  As soon as my mother found out it was going to be an expensive affair, she instantly criticizes the notion of spending so much money on a wedding and suggests we get married a court house.  

My fiance's parents offered to pay for the entire wedding and the were only hoping my mom would host (pay) for the rehearsal dinner because this is traditional.  It was an absolute battle to get her to agree to host the dinner.  Her and my fiance got in a big fight about it and when she realized that she would lose me because I am getting married, she calculated her return of investment and offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner.  This was roughly 2 and half months ago.  

Since that time,I have been reminded that it costs $2,500 on at least a biweekly basis.  (Guilt trip - What is the point of doing something kind, if you are just going to rub it in somebody's face about doing it?).  

We sent out wedding invitations at $65 a piece.  10 people on her list she knew would not go.  10 x $65 = $650.  None of these people had the common curiosity to even respond with a regretful no on their RSVP.  In addition, not one of these people sent a gift! (Am I crazy for thinking this is wrong?)

The cousin that my mom told me that she was disappointed that he was not my best man that started all these problems, there family is not even coming.  They were also the only family to not call, text, facebook ANYTHING to congratulate me nor apologize for not being able to come.  Then 2 days ago, the cousin calls me (who I knew when I was 10) and says he is coming to a football down in San Diego in September and that his mom and dad said he should stay with me.  So he can come down for a football game, but not for my wedding.  Is it just me or is this extremely rude on his parents' behalf?

During my fiance's bridal shower, my mom decides to pull her dress down under her shoulder and kick her leg up and act like she is 20 years old desperately seeking attention in front of my future mother-in-law and her relatives.  Is this a mature way to act for a 58 year old woman?  In addition, when her and my mother-in-law (who is Catholic) where texting back and forth, my mother-in-law shows a picture of her dress and my mom responds with "just the right amount of sexy" to a married mother of four.  Am I crazy or is she stupid?        

Can somebody give me feedback, is she acting in an inappropriate way or the way a mother should?   

Re: Psycho mom

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm sorry, but no one should have asked your mother to pay for the rehearsal dinner, let alone get into a fight with her about it. Not even if your future-in-laws are spending a million billion dollars on your wedding. You should have quietly paid for a dinner that you could afford. IMO, you should apologize to your mother and tell her you will pay for it. 

Women sometimes act silly at showers. Whoever is reporting your mothers behavior, in such great detail, is being mean spirited and petty. Your FMIL is an adult. If she didn't like the comment that your mother made about her sexy dress, then she should have told your mother 'lets not go there.' Then your mother would have thought she was a stick in the mud - as would I - a 50 something year old recent MOB, who grew up in a very Catholic family.

There are all kinds of mothers and no set way that we all should act. Hopefully, the two mothers should be able to respect each others personality differences. That includes your FMIL not being so judgemental about your mothers behaviour.
    dcherniss said:
    Hey everybody, I need your advice.  Please give me your honest opinion. My fiance and I just got engaged in January and I have a mom that is very negative and her whole life was always to appease other people rather than be a mom to me.  This is fine because it is the way she is and for this reason she has never been a big part of my life.  

So after the engagement naturally I am very excited and I would like to include her in this because it is a big deal.  Within the first 3 minutes of the first conversation of the start to planning the wedding, she can sense that I am happy and she is alone so she turns the focus from "Why isn't your cousin your best man?" and then turns that to how she is extremely disappointed in me and it makes her sad.  This then turns into a very negative somber state.  

Two weeks after the engagement and a month and a half after she found out I was going to propose, she decides to move to San Francisco from her paid off home 20 miles away and takes out a $3,500 a month rent the moment we get engaged.  Randomly whenever we speak, you can hear it in her voice that she is way more excited about her apartment than her son getting married (tonality does not lie).  

My fiance comes from a very traditional family and in her family weddings and marriage are a very big deal.  My mom has been divorced for 30 years and is very unhappy in life.  My fiance's parents believe in the tradition of through big elaborate weddings for their children because in their family it is a once in a lifetime moment.  As soon as my mother found out it was going to be an expensive affair, she instantly criticizes the notion of spending so much money on a wedding and suggests we get married a court house.  

My fiance's parents offered to pay for the entire wedding and the were only hoping my mom would host (pay) for the rehearsal dinner because this is traditional.  It was an absolute battle to get her to agree to host the dinner.  Her and my fiance got in a big fight about it and when she realized that she would lose me because I am getting married, she calculated her return of investment and offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner.  This was roughly 2 and half months ago.  

Since that time,I have been reminded that it costs $2,500 on at least a biweekly basis.  (Guilt trip - What is the point of doing something kind, if you are just going to rub it in somebody's face about doing it?).  

We sent out wedding invitations at $65 a piece.  10 people on her list she knew would not go.  10 x $65 = $650.  None of these people had the common curiosity to even respond with a regretful no on their RSVP.  In addition, not one of these people sent a gift! (Am I crazy for thinking this is wrong?)

The cousin that my mom told me that she was disappointed that he was not my best man that started all these problems, there family is not even coming.  They were also the only family to not call, text, facebook ANYTHING to congratulate me nor apologize for not being able to come.  Then 2 days ago, the cousin calls me (who I knew when I was 10) and says he is coming to a football down in San Diego in September and that his mom and dad said he should stay with me.  So he can come down for a football game, but not for my wedding.  Is it just me or is this extremely rude on his parents' behalf?

During my fiance's bridal shower, my mom decides to pull her dress down under her shoulder and kick her leg up and act like she is 20 years old desperately seeking attention in front of my future mother-in-law and her relatives.  Is this a mature way to act for a 58 year old woman?  In addition, when her and my mother-in-law (who is Catholic) where texting back and forth, my mother-in-law shows a picture of her dress and my mom responds with "just the right amount of sexy" to a married mother of four.  Am I crazy or is she stupid?        

Can somebody give me feedback, is she acting in an inappropriate way or the way a mother should?   

• Options
    I dont blame your mom for being distant. It it no ones responsibility but your own to pay for the wedding. That is absolutly great you FI parents offered to pay, but to demand that your mother pay for a rd is beyond rude. and there is no need for her to have to spend 2500 on a RD you guys can order some pizza and some beer and that would just as good. Shame on you and your fiance for expecting so much from your mother.
  • Options

You were so far out of line to even ask your mom to pay for the rehearsal dinner, much less to badger her about it until she gave in, that frankly, your bad behavior far outshadows hers.

You are not entitled to have anyone host anything for you.  Sending someone an invitation does not entitle you to a gift, nor does it entitle you to have them attend your wedding.  (Nor does it require them to elevate your wedding above whatever else they may be doing.)  And why on earth are you blaming your mother for what your cousin did or didn't do??

Your mother is entitled to express her opinion about the cost of your wedding (though you are entitled to ignore her opinion, of course.)  Her behavior at the shower does not seem out of the ordinary at all, and her comment to your FMIL about her dress being sexy is in no way remotely inappropriate at all- it's a compliment, and a very sweet one at that!

You don't seem to like your mother very much, and that's fine.  You're not required to.  But honestly, none of these things is a big deal, and it makes it look like you're just trying to find fault in every little thing she does.  Let it go, and save your battles for things that really matter.

• Options
    Also the part about you being upset about not receiving gifts makes me sick what a terrible thing to think about. YOu really need to reevaluate your thinking. your wedding is one day ONE DAY thats all you get. Is it really worth all this dramma and possibly permantly damaging relationships with people you care about?
  • Options
    Hi there,

First off, I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through such a cruddy time. To be honest, weddings bring out the best and the worst in people, and you will be very glad when the planning stages are over! Stop sharing info with your Mom or anyone else who asks how it's going.

I apologize, I stopped reading when you hit the point of each wedding invitation costing $65. And the point of the cost of the RD, just before it. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I really think that you guys are going overboard with all of this. Unless both of your families are millionaires and can actually afford it, then I think you need to dial it back. $65 per invitation is really expensive. To put it in perspective, mine cost around $3 per invitation, they were handmade (I'm a graphic designer) and they were awesome. At least, that's the feedback that we've been getting. RD...I don't blame your Mom for being up in arms about having to spend that much on a RD. To put this in perspective, $2500 is a good chunk of an entire wedding budget, and in some cases, it is the entire wedding budget.

Take a step back and maybe re-evaluate costs, and forcing someone into paying something that maybe they cannot afford.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You lost my sympathy when you strong-armed your mother into paying for an RD because your FI's parents think she should. They were gracious with their money; they don't get to be gracious with other people's money.

And on that topic, what your mother chooses to do with her money, and where she chooses to live, are none of your nevermind.

I first thought you meant that the reception was $65/person and that's what you meant by $65/invite. Then I realised, no, you meant the invites cost $65 a piece. That's just dumb. You needed to find cheaper invites. There is an expression, 'more money than sense.' You embody that.

You also don't get to be pissy that people didn't send you cards or get you gifts. No one is required to give you a gift, ever -- that's why it's called a gift. Duh.

People don't owe you an apology for not being able to attend your wedding. (They do owe you a prompt RSVP, however). I recently RSVP'd no to my cousin's wedding. Why? Because I'd rather have a root canal than spend time with that branch if the family tree. But I didn't say that. I graciously declined, gave no reason, and let it go.

It is not rude for your cousin to choose to attend a football game rather than your wedding. People prioritise time differently. Perhaps he thought a football game would be more entertaining than your wedding. No one will EVER be as excited about a wedding as the two people getting married are. No one, not ever. I promise.

In short: yes, you're crazy; yes, you're wrong; yes, you were rude; yes, you owe your mother an apology; no, you're not going to get any sympathy on these boards.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    You sent out 65.00 INVITATIONS?  Seriously?

A few things:

1.  It sounds like you haven't ever had a great relationship with your mom.  Weddings don't change that.  You can't quench your thirst at a dry well.  Your mom is a dry well.  Think about that.  Sounds like she is a criticizer and a negative Nancy.  Weddings don't change that either.

2.  You had no business badgering her into paying for your RD.  If she didn't volunteer you should have handled it.  You handled this badly.  Your FIL's had no business "hoping she would cover the RD."  Her money is none of their business.  It is great that they are traditional, but your mom is not.

3.  NO ONE owes you a gift.  No one.  A gift is not a requirement just because you receive a wedding invitation.  Expecting one is gift grabby.  Even if you were crazy enough to get 65.00 invitations.

4.  Tell your cousin he can't stay with you.  Easy Peasy.

5.  What is wrong with telling a married mother of 4 that her dress is sexy?  I'm 53 and have one DD left to go down the aisle.  I sure hope someone thinks I look sexy when the time comes!
  • Options
    Lawd have mercy, why are you spending 65 dollars per invite if money is an issue? Do
    you plan to continue this style of money management into the marriage? My sympathies, if so.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    It sounds like your wedding is over already, if you know your cousin didn't come and didn't RSVP and didn't congratulate you.

So why do you care about all these things still?
  • Options
    So....you joined this site today to vent about this stuff after your wedding was already over? I don't really know what you're looking for here. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    You are awful to your mother. Your actions and sense of entitlement are part of the reason your poor mother is so unhappy.

You and your fiance have threatened your relationship with her to get money for your extravagant wedding. You are completely wrong and hurtful. Your future in-laws have been incredibly generous in paying for the rest of your wedding, if *YOU* cannot afford $2,500 for your own rehearsal dinner or do not want to, then you have no business getting married.

If you don't want to lose $650 inviting people that you would invite but whom you know cannot attend, don't spend $65.00 on each invitation.

I feel so bad for your mother to have such a hurtful son.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options

dcherniss said:

Two weeks after the engagement and a month and a half after she found out I was going to propose, she decides to move to San Francisco from her paid off home 20 miles away and takes out a $3,500 a month rent the moment we get engaged.  Randomly whenever we speak, you can hear it in her voice that she is way more excited about her apartment than her son getting married (tonality does not lie).  So what? Why aren't you more excited for her move to the big city than you are to talk her ear off about your wedding all day long?

My fiance comes from a very traditional family and in her family weddings and marriage are a very big deal. Good for them. My mom has been divorced for 30 years and is very unhappy in life.  That must be really hard for your mom... My fiance's parents believe in the tradition of through big elaborate weddings for their children because in their family it is a once in a lifetime moment.  As soon as my mother found out it was going to be an expensive affair, she instantly criticizes the notion of spending so much money on a wedding and suggests we get married a court house.  Sounds like your mom believes that spending tons of money on one day could be better spend elsewhere... so what?

My fiance's parents offered to pay for the entire wedding and the were only hoping my mom would host (pay) for the rehearsal dinner because this is traditional.  It was rude of your fiance's family to ask or presume that your mom would host an event she is not obligated to host. It was an absolute battle to get her to agree to host the dinner.  Her and my fiance got in a big fight about it and when she realized that she would lose me because I am getting married, she calculated her return of investment and offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner.  WHAT?!?! You and your fiance sound like bullies who are self-centered, inconsiderate, and greedy. What about your ROI? You probably just lost any remaining respect your mom had for you over $2,500. Way to go, buddy. This was roughly 2 and half months ago.  

Since that time,I have been reminded that it costs $2,500 on at least a biweekly basis.  (Guilt trip - What is the point of doing something kind, if you are just going to rub it in somebody's face about doing it?).  Probably because you rudely strong armed and blackmailed her into giving you money. I'd rub it in your face too!

We sent out wedding invitations at $65 a piece. Ohhhh so THIS is why your mom gave you shit about such an expensive wedding and suggested the courthouse.. ok now I get it.  10 people on her list she knew would not go.  10 x $65 = $650. Not her fault you chose expensive invitations.  None of these people had the common curiosity to even respond with a regretful no on their RSVP. Not her fault.  In addition, not one of these people sent a gift! (Am I crazy for thinking this is wrong?) Yes. People aren't obligated to bring you presents. You invite people to your wedding to share in the moment you get married and then host a reception to thank them for sharing that moment. Period. Those self-centered/greedy points just keep creeping up...

The cousin that my mom told me that she was disappointed that he was not my best man that started all these problems, there their family is not even coming.  They were also the only family to not call, text, facebook ANYTHING to congratulate me nor apologize for not being able to come. Want a gold star? Not everyone is going to be gushing about your wedding. Sorry. Then 2 days ago, the cousin calls me (who I knew when I was 10) and says he is coming to a football down in San Diego in September and that his mom and dad said he should stay with me.  So he can come down for a football game, but not for my wedding. Yea, maybe that is the case, actually.  Is it just me or is this extremely rude on his parents' behalf? No... it's not. It's rude of you think that everyone's world stops spinning because you're getting married. 

During my fiance's bridal shower, my mom decides to pull her dress down under her shoulder and kick her leg up and act like she is 20 years old desperately seeking attention in front of my future mother-in-law and her relatives. Were you there? If not, whoever told you this is rude to be gossiping about your mother. Let me guess, it was your peachy fiance who fought with her over $2,500 and then sent $65/envelope invitations... Is this a mature way to act for a 58 year old woman?  In addition, when her and my mother-in-law (who is Catholic) where texting back and forth, my mother-in-law shows a picture of her dress and my mom responds with "just the right amount of sexy" to a married mother of four.  Am I crazy or is she stupid?  Actually I think that's kind of funny. A married mother of four can still be sexy - I sure hope I am if I have kids.

You  need to stop talking so much shit about your mom. Seriously. If you're slandering this all over the internet, I'm sure you're talking your head off to your fiance, her family and your friends. it's unbelievable how disrespectful you and your fiance have been to her. Your time would be better spent writing her an apology instead of here on TK.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Yeah, sorry, the only thing your mom did wrong was pressure you about your BM choice.  If you had come here at that point, we would have told you that if she's not into weddings, you should stop talking wedding with her. 

In terms of who pays for what, we are in a similar situation to you.  My FI asked his mom, once, if she wanted to host the RD and she said not really.  As soon as I found out he had done that, I set him straight that we never ask our parents for money and we planned our own RD.  It is a lot simpler than the wedding my parents are hosting but so what?  Everyone will have good food and drink and enjoy themselves anyway.  We could have even skipped having a rehearsal entirely, but we decided it was important to us. 

As for the text to FMIL about the dress, both my (63 and looking good!) mom and my FMIL would have taken that as a complement.  Most women I know would, including the Catholic ones.  If your MIL is very buttoned down and conservative, she could have gracefully ignored the text. 

My advice to you is to take some time off from thinking about your mom and focus on your marriage.  Unless there's more to the story than what we read here, remember that she's still your mother and she drives you crazy a lot of the time but you (presumably) love her.  Try to be happy for her about her big move.  You say she's had a tough life; good for her for trying something different in an awesome, fun city!  I would also try to stop comparing her to your W's family.  You never come out and say it, but your post has that sort of undercurrent to it.  All families are different, and all have their problems.  Finally, I would apologize to her about the RD incident.  Tell her you realize now that you shouldn't have pressured her about it, and thank her again for hosting it anyway.
  • Options
    I think this is a troll
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Grabows14 said:
    I think this is a troll

I thought so too, but I always answer just in case they're not.  Goodness knows there are a lot of people out there with really bizarre ideas about weddings.  :)
  • Options
    I don't think this is a troll. This is a guy who doesn't know much about weddings. His FILs think they are models of elegant etiquette and the groom believes them. They've been saving for this wedding since the day their little princess was born. They have to put on a grander wedding than the last grand wedding they attended, hence the $65 invitations. Most of us call it showboating.

• Options
    Maybe you are right. Just surprising to see that someone forces their mom to pay for some piece of the wedding and then complains about her attitude on here.... But to each his own.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Sending an invite does not equal getting a gift in return. I have had a few friends/acquaintances say they can't come but will send a gift, for that I always say 'we appreciate the gesture, but it is not necessary, your well wishes is gift enough'.

And... $65 an invite??? Holy c... I spent maybe $20 on thirty invites... handmade, handwritten, and I have had a large number of my recipients truly love them and are simply astonished that I took the time to calligraphy every single invite. I couldn't be happier with that choice, and I know that my friends and family treasure the invites more than they would if I had something printed out on a pre-designed or custom designed invite.

Yes, it was incredibly rude to pressure your mom into paying for the RD, I feel rather sorry for her that this was pushed on her. If you cannot afford to pay for it yourself, do not do it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

That's what I was thinking - 50 invitations at $65 pp is $3,250.  Who spends that kind of money on invitations?  That money could have more than paid for the rehearsal dinner...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards