Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

When/How to do the garter toss?

I'm having trouble deciding when to do the garter/bouquet toss. My dress is being altered to have the long skirt removed so that I will just have a short dress for the reception. I originally wanted to have the long skirt still on when the garter toss would happen, but my seamstress and I have worked out a way to have the skirt quick release for a fancy reveal of the short skirt during the first dance. I'm SO in love with the quick release skirt during the first dance, but not that excited to have the garter hunt/toss with a short dress. Any suggestions? 

(The groom-to-be said he would prefer to hunt for the garter with my long skirt)

In case anyone is wondering I found my bridal gown on the clearance rack for an EXTREMELY reasonable price. It was perfect for what I wanted with one minor edit to the top and the one major edit of the quick release skirt into a short skirt.

THANK YOU!

Re: When/How to do the garter toss?

• I personally think the garter hunt and toss is absolutely revolting. If I were a guest I would be turning away. So if it were me I'd just skip the garter toss all together
  • I'm having trouble deciding when to do the garter/bouquet toss. My dress is being altered to have the long skirt removed so that I will just have a short dress for the reception. I originally wanted to have the long skirt still on when the garter toss would happen, but my seamstress and I have worked out a way to have the skirt quick release for a fancy reveal of the short skirt during the first dance. I'm SO in love with the quick release skirt during the first dance, but not that excited to have the garter hunt/toss with a short dress. Any suggestions? 

(The groom-to-be said he would prefer to hunt for the garter with my long skirt)

In case anyone is wondering I found my bridal gown on the clearance rack for an EXTREMELY reasonable price. It was perfect for what I wanted with one minor edit to the top and the one major edit of the quick release skirt into a short skirt.

THANK YOU!
    Am I reading correctly that you will be in the middle of your first dance when you remove part of your dress to transform it into a shorter dress?  

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I cringe and walk away during the garter toss. Just don't do it. Problem solved.
  • Sooooooooooo you're asking if the groom should fiddle around in your nether regions before or after you rip off part of your dress?

Anniversary

• edited July 2013
    I would also suggest against a garter "hunt". I also find them revolting. I was at a wedding 2 nights ago and everyone was talking about it. NO one would go up after to catch this garter either.

I think it's awkward to have a dress change on the dance floor. Actually, I find it just plain weird and would be uncomfortable at a wedding if I saw this, though I would probably take a photo of it to share people because no one would believe me. It would be memorable, but for all the wrong reasons.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I'm not a fan of garter tosses to begin with, so I'm definitely not a fan of a bride stripping off her skirt for it.
  • I would not do this, unless you are totally comfortable with your husbands face up your dress in front of your family and friends. As a guest I never enjoy any of this.

Also, I don't think I understand your dress. Do you have a photo or any more info on how it works or what the plan here is?
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards