September 2013 Weddings

A Sunday wedding?

What are everyone's opinion on a Sunday wedding? I already have a venue booked for Saturday, September 14, 2013. It was in our budget at the time, but now it is not. I found another venue similar to that one, but half the price. It is only available on Sunday, September 15, 2013 which is fine with me. My worry is that a Sunday wedding will be inconvenient for the ones who have school and work the next day. Thoughts?
*Wedding times will be 5-11 P.M.*

Re: A Sunday wedding?

• what i've learned from booking a friday wedding (also inconvenient for guests) is that the people you love the most will be there no matter what. i could have booked my wedding for christmas day and i know that the ones i love would still be there. you need to do whats right for you and your FI and if that's a sunday wedding, i say go for it!
  • We are getting married Sept. 15th :)
    I agree with the PP and as long as the VIPs can be there then I say go for it!
    With that being said be prepared for some of your guests to clear out a bit early. FI and I went to a wedding that started at 7 or 8 (can't remember) and we split early since the boys had school in the morning - bride totally understood and was just happy we could attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you'll probably get a few negative RSVPs, and people will probably leave on the early side, but if you're OK with that, then go for it!
  • Yeah, I agree with everyone else. If that's what works for you guys then go for it! Our's is on a Saturday and it's still inconvenient for some people because they have other stuff going on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It might be better to have it earlier so people can get home at a reasonable time.  The only reason I would say a Sunday wedding is a bad idea is if you have a lot of out of town guests that would not be happy with having to take off work on Monday for travel.  

Our wedding is 2-3 hours from FI's family and 1.5 from mine, so we're having a Saturday wedding that starts a little earlier (4:30 ceremony, reception starts at 5 and ends at 10) in case people didn't want to stay overnight.  I'm going to make sure our cake cutting happens early enough in the night so these people can feel free to leave when they need to if they are in fact driving home that night.

If you signed a contract already, shouldn't the prices stay the same?  Can you talk to some one at your venue about that?  We looked at venues and major vendors and signed contracts in 2011, so we are paying the 2011 prices.  
  • Is Sunday Sept 1 available? Cheaper because it's a Sunday but it's Labor Day weekend so people are off work Monday!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_a-sunday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:8fae00c6-dc61-499c-a34f-d65e34e6c8dbPost:c0e66faa-1aef-43db-b472-ca51ca1d1346">Re: A Sunday wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is Sunday Sept 1 available? Cheaper because it's a Sunday but it's Labor Day weekend so people are off work Monday!
    Posted by lizmanninger[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, most places will treat September 1st like a Saturday because the next day is a holiday.  So you rarely get the cheaper prices.  Plus, it's a little late to tell all your guests you're getting married THIS Labor Day and you'll probably get a much higher decline rate (because some people might have made plans already - depends on where they go for Labor Day).</div>
  • I'm having a Sunday wedding but only because that's the day our anniverary falls on. I wish it had been a weekday! I think brides get all caught up in thinking they have to have a ton of people at their wedding to make it a success. In my experiences the smaller, more intimate weddings always turn out to be way more fun. You know everyone and get to spend more time enjoying your day. It also ends up being more budget friendly. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_a-sunday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:8fae00c6-dc61-499c-a34f-d65e34e6c8dbPost:d76b4086-389f-47b8-83f0-6750bdb3327d">A Sunday wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are everyone's opinion on a Sunday wedding? I already have a venue booked for Saturday, September 14, 2013. It was in our budget at the time, but now it is not. I found another venue similar to that one, but half the price. It is only available on Sunday, September 15, 2013 which is fine with me. My worry is that a Sunday wedding will be inconvenient for the ones who have school and work the next day. Thoughts? *Wedding times will be 5-11 P.M.*
    Posted by soon2beMrs914[/QUOTE]
    Are you factoring in the cost of losing your deposit on the first place in your savings calculations?  Since you more than likely won't get a refund for your first booking I wonder how much you will truly end up spending when you total it all up.  Also, though I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, I honestly thiink that it is unrealistic and inconvenient to expect the majority of working adults to stay at a wedding from 5pm-11pm when they have to go to work the next day and possibly put their kids to bed for school the next day by probably 9pm.  Some might even look at it as being inconsiderate even with the best of intentions.  Most people will probably leave a wedding like that no later than 7pm-8pm.  A Sunday brunch wedding would be more convenient and likely more well attended by your guests.
  • We are doing 9/1, which is a Sunday, but we checked with family and friends back in January to make sure it worked for them, since it is Labor Day. Like PP said, having a 5-11 Sunday night wedding is probably going to be tough for a lot of people.
    ***September 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wanted to do a Sunday wedding to save money but found it impossible to book a church so we went with a Friday wedding. Like everyone else said, if the important people can go then I would do it! Plus, if people decline you're saving a little more that way and they aren't the people you REALLY want there anyway.
  • That is why I chose Sept 1st! I am getting my venure for a 1/4th of the price however trying to find everything else on a holiday weekend is proving to be difficult.
  • I am getting married Sunday September 15th!  Our wedding is 5:30-11. We sent out save the dates early so that way people had enough notice.  We ran it by our VIP's and it wasn't a problem for any of them.  I am sure that we will get some "no" rsvp's because it's a Sunday, but they probably would have said no if it was a Friday also. I expect the older people to leave early, but I know those same people who also leave early on a Saturday wedding.  As long as your VIP's are okay with the date, I say go for it!
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our wedding is on the morning of Sept 22. I don't know what it is but I just find something charming about Sunday weddings!
  • My wedding is sept 1, the feel of a sat wedding since monday is a holiday in ontario, canada but the cheaper prices
  • My wedding is on a Sunday. We wanted a Sunday to save cost and had an original date of a long weekend but moved it to another Sunday. I believe the people most important to you will make every effort to be there, even if they can't stay all night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards