Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

who will marry us if we aren't very religious?

How can we find someone who will marry us and won't include religion in our vows?

Re: who will marry us if we aren't very religious?

• I'm not very religious, either. We found our officiant through Wedding Wire. The local boards here can be a good resource if active. Mine is not, alas...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You can Google for non-denominational officiants. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • http://ulc.net/index.php?page=minister_directory

See if somebody in your area has their contact information listed.

• Judges, county clerks, mayors and some other public officials have the authority to perform marriages, depending on your local laws. Many Unitarian ministers will perform a completely secular ceremony.

Or if you are getting married in PA or Colorado you don't need an officiant at all, you can get a self-uniting license.
  • I searched through officiants (sometimes called celebrants) in the area, and skipped over all Reverends and Pastors and what not.   I found a company with several officiants and met with two of them, and I selected one.  Really, it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, I just really needed to find a company that was able to have the qualities that were important to us and go from there. (Like, I blocked the websites of the companies with twirling sparkly crosses on them.)
  • There are officiants who you can hire to perform non-religious weddings.  Depending on your county/state laws, you may be able to have a friend or family member get ordained online and perform your marriage.  My uncle got ordained online and officiated our wedding.
  • If you can in your county or state, I would suggest a family member. DH and I weren't planning on a religious ceremony so having my father officiate was a great option. My father was ordained online a few years ago and always joked about performing our ceremony. I had concerns about him taking it seriously or getting emotional, but I wouldn't change it for the world. He did a wonderful job.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Simple. Have a civil ceremony with a secular officiant rather than a church ceremony.
  • In NZ you can have a celebrant who is non religious. Does the US have something similar? Other than that, a JP or a judge would probably be able to conduct a non religious ceremony.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have u been to any wedding fairs?

• We are having a very good friend marry us. He got ordained in order to do it. Who better than someone who truly knows you both well?
  • You can have someone your close to get "officiated for the day" it varies by state but usually its a $25 application fee. My uncle is marrying us which I am very happy about. To me that is so much better then some random JP.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards