Canada-Ontario

Worth the risk?

I just posted this in reception and no one responded.  I just realized there is a local board!

I just received my special occasion permit to serve alcohol at my upcoming wedding next month. We will be hosting the bar so we could not go under the the permit of the banquet hall.  Cash bars are common in the area (eeek! I know)  Anyway, I was given the speech on how it is important I can only buy the liquor in Ontario and the permit must be present at the point of sale. Also if the AGCO  decides to show up at my reception, they can check the liquor and if found out that I did not use the permit or purchase in Ontario they can shut down my event.  It was actually quite scary.

However everyone knows how much cheaper liquor is in USA and even Quebec.  I calculated 40 cases of beer would save me $600 if bought in Quebec. It is also like an 8 hour drive from where I am.  The hard liquor is also always on sale at the duty free across the border as well.  A bottle of Hennessey XO costs us $270 here and at the duty free I have heard it can go as low at $150

I have only ever heard of 1 persons reception being shut down due to not following the strict rules.  I believe that happened over 10 years ago as well.  Is it worth the risk to save money?  Have you ever heard of someones event being shut down?  I have also heard they really only check buck and does (yes common in the area too)

Re: Worth the risk?

• I am not sure if you are asking if you should get a permit or if you should buy the liquour in Toronto or travel elsewhere. The permit is mandatory, and it's not very expensive. If your question is about buying alcohol in QC or the US, you have only a month for your wedding so it's a lot of work to travel, but if you have time I would go to QC and going to the US would raise some eyebrows. 

On my wedding day there wasn't a lot that was worth the risk. If you imagine that the worst case scenario happened how would it affect your wedding? would it affect it greatly or not - it depends how much you are willing to risk. Regardless if it has happened to others we know or not, you could be that statistic that it DOES happen to - that could make or break your day. Just try to enjoy it as much as possible.
  • Thanks for the reply.  Yeah I was asking if anyone has been to a wedding where the AGCO  came in and did an actual inspection during the event?  I already have the permit but am considering the pros and cons of buying the liquor in Quebec & Michigan to save money.  We hired a bartender who says in all the weddings she has done no one ever came in and did an inspection.  She did point out that was in the city and I am getting married in a small town so she wasn't sure if it was normal for them to inspect there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards