Registry and Gift Forum

New bride-to-be: Where do I start?!

I recently just got engaged and we have decided on a date already (September 6th, 2014). I haven't really done anything to prepare yet, but my friends are suggesting I get a move on things.

Isn't it too early? Where do I even begin?

Re: New bride-to-be: Where do I start?!

• Do you mean too early to start planning or to start registering?

You can register whenever really, but I'd hold off if I were you. Items will likely get discontinued.

For planning, first step is to decide on a budget and then roughly know how many people you will be inviting. You can look into popular vendors and venues now for sure. I used The Knot's checklist as a rough guide to get me going.
  • I would hold off on registering.  I registered 6 months beforehand, and nobody got me anything until we sent the wedding invites (also around the time of my first shower.)  In the months that lapsed, quite a few items were discontinued (including my dinnerware pattern- although my mom and grandmother quickly bought it up before it went away for good), and a bunch of the items that were in the store in January were no longer in stock at BBB in June (a few people commented at the shower that there had not been much selection available in store.)  So I had to swap a bunch of stuff out for the version currently on the shelf.  Not a big deal, but there is probably not much point in registering more than a year in advance.

If you think people will want to start buying you stuff for your birthdays/ other holiday gifts ahead of time, you could go ahead and register for a few items.  But if you register for everything, you will probably have to make major changes down the road.

• Here is what we did:

1. Talked about the kind of wedding we wanted
    2. Set a budget
    3. Made a potential guest list
    4. Started looking for venues to meet our numbers

Congrats and happy planning!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Set a budget.
    Determine your guest list.
    Book a venue
    Book an officiant

You can register anytime you wish. You'll definitely want to do it at least a month before your shower, if you have one.  It's not a faux pas to do it now, but you'll want to watch for items that might be discontinued.  China, crystal, silverware and kitchen appliances are usually safe.  Wait to do linens and home decor later.

This.  A really easy way to figure out if something is seasonal or not is to see how far back the reviews go.  Anything longer than a year means the item is probably not seasonal.

My china pattern has been active since 2001.  Waterford Lismore has been around since like the 50s or 60s.  You can (and should) start looking at options for those now if you want it.  Check your usual stores like Macy's but also places like Bloomingdales.  They sell different lines.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, what the PP's said.  China, dinnerware, silverware, all that kind of stuff you can start scouting out now.  Bedding and table linens are pretty seasonal.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Start planning and registering sooner rather than later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards