June 2014 Weddings

Honeymoons

Has anyone given this any thought yet?

Where would you like to go? What places are you and your FI looking into? Have you booked anything yet?

If you have booked where are you going? Is everything booked? What are you looking forward to most about it?

Anniversary

Re: Honeymoons

• Haven't booked anything, but we talk about all the time. It will be the Caribbean or South Pacific. We have about 70,000 air miles and have dusted off the credit card that gives miles & charging everything on it, including our house payment (we pay off the balance each month). In about October, we'll see what we can get!
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @wabanzi I wish we had air miles to use that would help a lot!

We go to the bahamas every year so we elminated the caribbean.  I would really love to go to Tahiti or Bora Bora and get an over water bungalow.  That will cost at least $10,000 so we'll have to see what we have the budget for.

Anniversary

• That sounds like a great plan @elBecko.  We want to do a big once and a lifetime trip some place neither of us have been to before. We're a bit older so we want to have kids shortly after the wedding.  It might not be as feasible to do a big 5 year anniversary trip. I'd rather do what you are doing though! 

Anniversary

• I want to take a train from the midwest where we live up to WA, do some dabbling in Canada, maybe a cruise to Alaska, stop in Cali and make our way back via train. I do NOT like to fly and have pretty bad fear/anxiety of planes. FI's dad actually came up with the plan and it sounds fun! To ride on a train car for a few days then be on a ship? Something neither FI or I have done. 
  • That sounds cool. I've never done a cruise before so we nixed the cruise idea since we didn't want my first time cruising to be on our honeymoon especially if I didn't like.  I've always wanted to cruise to alaska though.

Anniversary

• ab6704aab6704a member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013

Key West was our first vacation together and we loved it so much we decided to go back for our honeymoon.  We'll be booking everything in the next month or so.  We're going to be renting a small  cottage near the beach.

ETA: my avatar picture is one of the beaches we went to in the keys

• ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013
    We've been talking a lot, but don't know what to do. My mom is giving us a large gift as a combined wedding and graduation gift, so on the one hand we really want to use that money to go to Europe. On the other hand, we want to have a relaxing honeymoon, with no pressure to get up, spend all day being tourists seeing everything, and just be exhausted at the end of the day. So we will probably end up going to a small old town somewhere in Maine. We are looking for a trip where there is stuff to do, but not a lot we have to do. Probably in a cabin or nice resort - not a standard hotel. And we will likely take his motorcycle out there if we have enough time.

ETA: We are hoping to get it booked by the end of the summer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That was the problem with going to europe for us, besides the fact that I've been to all of western europe but Switzerland. That would be the kind of trip where you get up and go see lots of sight versus just relaxing on a beach somewhere.  We want something in between especially since we have a timeshare in the bahamas we relax in every year.

Anniversary

• I want to take a train from the midwest where we live up to WA, do some dabbling in Canada, maybe a cruise to Alaska, stop in Cali and make our way back via train. I do NOT like to fly and have pretty bad fear/anxiety of planes. FI's dad actually came up with the plan and it sounds fun! To ride on a train car for a few days then be on a ship? Something neither FI or I have done. 
    My FI and I kind of want to do the same thing! We live in MN and want to take an train to either Portland or Seattle, and the cool thing about that is you see parts of the Rockies that no one else does on the road.  It's such an interesting way to see the US.  Otherwise we're thinking just a fancy pants hotel/resort/B&B on Lake Superior.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited July 2013

I want to take a train from the midwest where we live up to WA, do some dabbling in Canada, maybe a cruise to Alaska, stop in Cali and make our way back via train. I do NOT like to fly and have pretty bad fear/anxiety of planes. FI's dad actually came up with the plan and it sounds fun! To ride on a train car for a few days then be on a ship? Something neither FI or I have done. 
    My FI and I kind of want to do the same thing! We live in MN and want to take an train to either Portland or Seattle, and the cool thing about that is you see parts of the Rockies that no one else does on the road.  It's such an interesting way to see the US.  Otherwise we're thinking just a fancy pants hotel/resort/B&B on Lake Superior.
    I've done that train trip before (MSP to Portland). It is really nice, but most of the Rockies are in the middle of the night. On the other hand, one of my favorite trips was a few nights in a B&B in Grand Marais. Love the North Shore. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Chloeagh - I love the North Shore as well. It's so beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So an update on our honeymoon plans.  My FSIL (also my MOH) and husband want to give us 2 weeks in the Bahamas (Freeport) at their timeshare.  They won't be using it next year and it is something they have to pay for whether or not they use it.  This would be their gift to us (pretty awesome gift) and I know they are struggling a bit financially right now.  I specifically told them not to get us anything, that taking time off work and traveling for the wedding/taking part in it was more than enough.

So, do we accept their very generous offer?  This would basically be a free honeymoon as we have enough air miles now for 2 plane tickets. Bahamas would not be our first choice, but is still a nice island.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would! We go every year to our timeshare on Paradise Island. I love it there.  What else would they do with it if you didn't go?

Anniversary

• Thanks Ladies!  I'm definitely out of my comfort zone with such a generous gift.  
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    We're going to do Europe...we aren't much for relaxing and tend to like to be busy.  We will likely focus on travelling in Italy and Greece...hopefully about two weeks. We (mostly me) are debating whether or not to go completely on our own or do some type of organized trip.  I've been there on and went on my own but due to some health issues I kind of like the idea of a more organized trip...plus it takes the stress off of us for planning! 
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013
    @elBeckoThe UP is beautiful...I was born on an Air Force base up there (it's now closed) but my parents took me back about 15 years ago.  Sounds fun :)
  • Ohhh, I love Italy! Me & FI are divers/snorkelers so we want beach. But I would go back to Italy in a flash.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're planning on going to Belize, but we're not going directly after the wedding since it's right in the middle of hurrican season! So we'll wait and go a little later when we're sure to have great weather while we're there!

I think the few days right after getting married we'll escape to a beach somewhere close just to relax and decompress after all the craziness of the wedding.

edited July 2013
    FI found out last night he is getting a month off work for the honeymoon! So we're officially taking advantage of that and going to Ireland and Scotland/Northern England! (after relaxing at a B&B in town for a few days first)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having a Destination Wedding, so we will stay at the resort a little bit after the wedding for the honeymoon. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went to Belize a few years ago for two weeks.  It is still one of my favorite vacations.  Be sure to go cave tubing in the jungle.  It was amazing.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were going to do Disney as my sis in law and brother offered to pay for our hotel stay. But, with our honeymoon being over the 4th of July, decided that might not be the best time to go to Disney. Plus, I want to sit and relax during vacation versus standing in lines for rides.

That being said, we're going to Myrtle Beach, SC since neither of us have been there and we currently live an hour from VA beach so makes no sense to do honeymoon there. Myrtle Beach is cheap if you shop around so could prob pull off the honeymoon for under $2,000. I already booked our stay. We're going to do a bed and breakfast place that is about 2-3 blocks away from the beach. It's not on the main drag of it, but it will still be awesome. It's a lot cheaper than the hotels and this place has great reviews and the hotels, frankly, I'm afraid of because of all the mix reviews.

Nothing is booked around there yet though as books are just opening up for next summer. However, prices are coming out and it's about 800-2,000 for the stay we were looking at. We're doing 5 nights which includes July 4th. The bed and breakfast we found is only $109 a night so it's about 600 when said and done. MUCH more reasonable.

I'm looking forward to just chilling on the beach, enjoying some people watching, amazing food and of course, a DOLPHIN cruise!!!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We're hoping to be going on Safari in Africa.  Working out the details right now and trying to figure out how to take that much time off work....
  • We were discussing this this past weekend. Look slike we are going to go to Canton, Ohio to the NFL Hall of Fame, then head to NYC to go to a Yankees game. After the Yankees game, head down to DC for a day or two to see a few specific things...the Smithsonian, the VietNam wall, etc. Take a few slow days to get home from there. Nothing major, just some fun times together. 

When we leave for the honeymoon will depend on when my oot moh and another guest fly out, and on the Yankees schedule. :)
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• elBecko said:
    We've been talking about it since May, because we both love to travel and weren't able to take any kind of vacation this year!

Our top choice right now is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, with at least a few days on Mackinac Island, and probably a side trip into Canada. We want to drive there (it's only about 9 hours away) because we love road-tripping together, and that way we can bring our hiking/camping gear.

Having a low-budget honeymoon will allow us to afford a more expensive international trip (we're thinking Mediterranean) for our 5-year anniversary. That's what my sister and BIL did, and they say it was a great decision.
    Look into the "cruises" offered in St. Ignace. They last anywhere from 3-5 hours, depending which one you choose and the cost in very reasonable, Imo. We live in the Thumb and were considering St. Ignace and Mackinac Island, too :)
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• We originally were going to Alaska before we decided to get married.  So now that we are spending all the money on the wedding, Alaska will have to wait for 2015. 

So for our honeymoon we are taking a week long motorcycle trip from Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, NC, SC, and Virginia. Basically, we are going to go wherever the road takes us, with a few planned stops along the way (tail of the dragon mainly).  It is very appropriate for us.  Next to hiking, the motorcycle is our favorite activity.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards