October 2013 Weddings
Options

Worth the money or DIY?

So, I'm looking at ordering invites online.

For $1 an envelope, they will print on the inner envelope your guest's name, and for an additional dollar, they'll print your return address AND your guest's address on the outer envelope.

Worth the cost to pay basically an additional $2/invite and save the time and frustration, or do it myself on my printer at home? 

To order extra envelopes; 25 envelopes for about $11 (in case of screw ups during at home printing).

Re: Worth the money or DIY?

• Options
    I had that option.... I chose for them to write my return on the RSVP cards, but all the envelopes I did myself
    image 165 Asked to join at our big day.
    image 7 Are coming; cameras in hand ready to party!
    image 5 Are missing out on the fun.
    image 153 Haven't found the mail box back to us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was quick glancing over my guest list; I have 55 people on it (they have to be ordered in groups of 25, so I'm ordering 75...ANNOYING!), so in THEORY I'll have extra envelopes if I botch some.  And I can always buy some cheap envelopes and use them as samples.

Although, $110 can be used for something else easily.  *sigh*
  • Options
    Ack I had the same problem I had like 79-82 something like that so had to order 100:( I did get the extra envelopes just because mine are weird size but I can always use them for thank yours or something

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I would probably print the names of guests myself.

I don't fully understand - but in comparison terms - I had our rsvp address printed, as well as the return address on the exterior envelope flap. We are not having interior envelopes, so this for me would be a total waste of $1 an invite.

Printing the envelopes with guests' addresses has not been that bad. And my tester was a piece of paper I cut to the same size as the envelope. I didn't need to waste actual envelopes.

ETA: We are sending approx. 175 invites
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options

A friend offered to do calligraphy for me and I had a stamp designed for the return address and RSVP cards. I have a lot of invites going out so I probably would have otherwise paid to have them done by someone.

• Options
    Curse you for being so practical and smart @SewInLoveWithDMB about cutting up paper!  *headdesk*

LOL!!!

I -believe- that the RSVPs come with an envelope, although, yeah...duh, what is the purpose of putting their name on the inner envelope?  They already KNOW it's for them.

*hangs head*

I has the dumbs today.  :|
  • Options
    Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013

You lost me.... YOu said you have 55 guests, I am assuming most of those are considered one couple? So technically, approximately 27.5 invites, round up 28 invites, not 55. Or did I read your thing wrong?

Our situation if that didn't make sense: We have 373 guests on the list, take into consideration the couples/the few kids that are invited, we have 175 invites, not 373.

• Options
    And to answer your original question (sorry), I wouldn't spend the money on printing on the envelopes, unless it falls within your budget.

• Options
    Whoops!!  Man, I fail at the internets today!!

I meant I'm sending out 55 invites, so there's more than 55 people. 

I cannot brain today as I have the dumb.  :p
  • Options
    I would save the money and hand write - but I like my handwriting and I'm cheap when it comes to stuff like that :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DIY tip! My invites came with a card stock template with lines on it; we just stuck it inside the envelopes and you could see through to the lines .... For those of us who write crooked without a guide

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If they can print the return addresses on your RSVP envelopes, DO IT. We ended up doing labels which was fine. I printed the addresses on our envelopes, which wasn't awful once I figured out the settings on my printer. But the RSVP envelopes were too small to run through my printer, or I was having a case of the dumbs and couldn't get it arranged correctly. 

The clear labels FH bought were like, $11 for something like 300 of them.
  • Options
    09McSteph0309McSteph03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I also vote DIY.  I think it's too expensive for what you are getting.  If you can get away without an inner envelope I'd say do that too.  May not be technical etiquette but no inners for us. 

I bought a stamp off etsy for $22 that says Stephanie and FI and has our address. I used that stamp for the invite envelope (stamped on the back flap) and then for the return RSVPs.  You could try that (vista print has some nice cheaper ones) too and just stamp the RSVP envelopes yourself.  For comparison, I have 65 invites and it wasn't tedious.

ETA: I also have clear labels - we used them for the Save the Dates and they worked out wonderfully.  You could use those for your RSVPs for sure. 
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013

I used clear labels on our invites. They were $4 or something like that at Wal-Mart for 600 of them.

ETA: For the return address.

• Options
    Michael's actually will print your address for FREE on your RSVP envelopes.  THANK YOU MICHAEL'S!!!  :)

I do still have clear labels from my STDs which I can use if I need to.  I've decided to order extra envelopes (25 extra) and will put everything through the printer myself.  I figure with that many invites, and what I'm saving having THEM do it, I'll just buy more ink and figure it out my own dang self!

Thanks everyone!  :)
  • Options
    I bought return address labels for my RSVPs that matched my invitations.  I didn't put a return address on my actual invitations...hopefully I won't regret this.  I think it may have been $11 for about 120 labels.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards