Wedding Party

Brother won't come to the wedding!

edited July 2013 in Wedding Party
I'm getting married in literally a few months, and today I receive a message from my older brother who is supposed to walk me down the aisle saying that he will not be there if his two ex's are there! I'm friends with both and they are the mother's of my 3 year old niece and my 1 year old nephew! Idk what to do cause one is extremely controlling and won't let my niece go if my niece doesn't go, which I understand because she isn't a fan of crowds without mom around. I'm at a loss of what to do other than tell him it's his loss.

Re: Brother won't come to the wedding!

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    kmalem said:
    I'm getting married in literally a few months, and today I receive a message from my older brother who is supposed to walk me down the aisle saying that he will not be there if his two ex's are there! I'm friends with both and they are the mother's of my 3 year old niece and my 1 year old nephew! Idk what to do cause one is extremely controlling and won't let my niece go if my niece doesn't go, which I understand because she isn't a fan of crowds without mom around. I'm at a loss of what to do other than tell him it's his loss.

Sorry, but your brother is being an ass.

It is insane that he would expect your niece and nephew to attend the ceremony and reception without their mothers.

I think the most you can do is call him back and say "I'm sorry you feel this way, but Katie and Mary are invited to my wedding. They are my friends. I hope you will reconsider and attend as I would love to have you there"

Be the bigger person.

• I agree, your brother is being a huge jerk and trying to emotionally blackmail you.  Don't let him.

I agree with itzMS's suggested wording.  

Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I agree he's being an ass but I also wonder why he can't care for his own kids.

• It's not like he's going to get seated with them, wth? And for real, why can't your parents hold down the kids during the ceremony and he care for them afterwards during the reception?

He's being an Ass. I'd def call his bluff.
  • Yep. He's an ass and you should call his bluff. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm assuming he is the father of his exes' children since you refer to them as your niece/nephews. In that case, I'm team call his bluff. When you have kids with an ex, you do not get to pretend they do not exist.
  • Exactly. He cares for the kids deeply and is currently locked in a custody battle. I've called it and it's up to him to step up. Thanks all for the support!
  • Thanks for the update.  I'm crossing my fingers for you that he realizes he was being a jerk, shows up, and behaves like an adult.

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards