Wedding Reception Forum
Options

theme help!!

Our main color is PURPLE... what shade of purple... I'm not 100% about yet. Most likely a darker shade... something close to a plum/jeweled tone. 

I'm thinking about possibly bringing in some light blue with a gray tone & gray.. But not sure yet. 

Anyway- we wanted to encorporate movies into our reception, as we love movies and we always seem to talk about our "top 5" for each person. But I don't know if it's something that is too random.. 

I don't know how to make it organized, if you know what I'm saying. . . We wanted each table to be a specific movie, instead of "table 1" etc. We were going to have flowers and a framed picture of the movie that's for that specific guest table. 

What are some other ideas? What else do I need to do... I don't want it to be a complete movie theme... I don't know! I'm lost.

please help!!!

Re: theme help!!

• Options
    I just found the picture of the popcorn bar I mentioned earlier: http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/photo/103684

Something like that would tie in to a movie theme without screaming "movie theme"
  • Options
    Whit: Thanks so much!! We were actually thinking about giving bags of camelized popcorn as our favors... what do u think of that? We were totally going to pick our favorite movies, half for me and half for my fiance. I'm not huge into the whole "old hollywood" theme, but i LOVE the invitations, very cute! I will show my fiance soon! 

We haven't done our save the dates yet... I can't decide on any, because of my theme. 

Also, instead of our guests being sat at the "Dirty Dancing" table... We were going to have their name; "Casie & Jason Nash" at the "Nobody puts baby in the corner" table... Or something around those lines. Each table will have a "famous" line... and if they don't know the quote.. they will just have to figure it out! We thought it would bring some laughter into the cocktail hour as we're all getting our pictures taken :) 

Is there anything else I should put into the reception? Or are the quotes,tables, and popcorn favor enough? 

Should I name the sweets table "concessions" or is that strange???

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP ALREADY!!! 
  • Options
    ps: That popcorn bar is SO cute!!! I wonder where we could find those little popcorn holders... they are adorable!!!! 

• Options
    edited October 2010

You're welcome! I LOVE the idea of having a quote at each table . . . It will be fun for guests to figure out what movie they're from.  Another thing I just thought of - I don't know if you're going to have a printed menu or something at each place setting, but you could have a movie-related trivia question printed on each one with the answer on the back.  Guests could have fun quizzing each other while they're waiting for dinner to be served.  Otherwise, I think having the quotes, tables and popcorn favors would be enough for your theme to be apparent.  IMO, sometimes themes come across the best when they're subtle. I did a quick search, and I found a link to where you can buy the mini popcorn boxes: http://www.blissweddingsmarket.com/brideideas/white-popcorn-boxes.htm

• Options
    Hey.... It's "MOTEN129" Something happened with my profile!! And I couldn't sign into my account... so I had to make a new one with another email addy. . .  .

Anyway, thank u so much for looking for those boxes. You're awesome at finding things, I did a search and only could find ones that were colored. 

I think we're going to create little movie tickets... small ones that will by DIY. . . And we might scatter them here and there on some tables... Just for an extra touch... too much? thoughts? 

Thanks again! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers White Knot
  • Options
    I love all of those ideas!  The movie quotes are awesome!  Have fun planning it.  I have a quote "  I'll have what she's having"...

From when harry met sally.
  • Options
    Thanks Jackie... 

I'm excited about it! I'll try to keep it fun while planning Wink
  • Options
    Ya know.. there are times where I start to get a little overwhelmed with planning.. even if I'm not currently planning and I think I forget how much it actually is. I just wanted to say that reading this reminded me of how much fun it is!!

I LOVE your theme. I love the table number/quote ideas. SO much fun! I have been to weddings where I have sat bored at tables and something like that would have made it a lot more fun when you are waiting for your turn to go to the buffet, or waiting for the next 'thing' to happen!
  • Options
    JJ: Thanks!! I really love the theme too... And it is overwhelming, the whole planning process. Mainly because of the money. If we all had more money, I know the planning wouldn't drive me to be insane every other time I plan! haha.

I think we're going to make the menu by the buffet table look like "showtimes" at the movies.. Not cheesy, just a little touch with color. So not black and white. We'll make it look more wedding like...

We were also thinking about putting little cards on the table that have questions about the movie that is for that particular table. So maybe a set of 8 questions... Then it will bring the guests to talk with eachother at the table while waiting to be called for the buffet. (Who knows if this will happen or not, it's a lot of DIY.. which is awesome, but overwhelming :) 8 cards times 12 tables... that's a lot of cards and questions to think about!

JJ: What's your wedding going to be like? What are your plans?

~Melissa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards