African American Weddings
Options

Wedding Day Vent

So our venue gave us $1,000 off to get married on a Friday. So for us, big bonus. Wedding on Friday. Some of FI's family members are coming from OOT. About a 3hr drive. We already got the confirmation from some that they would definitely come, and some said they can't. Okayy cool. I understand the whole getting off of work and having to drive to make it there by 6:30. I get that. But when its people that live here in this vicintity that call us or msg us and ask why are we having our wedding on a Friday and are being rude about it, thats when I get mad. Like I literally had this convo:
-Why yall getting married on a Friday?
-Discount.
-Yall already spending all this money, yall couldnt pay extra to get married on a Saturday??
-No, we couldn't are you gonna give us the extra 1k, cuz if you are then we'll get married on Saturday.
-I just think you're inconviencing your guests by making them take off of work.
-Look, if you don't want to come you don't have to. The people that really wanna be there will be there. Guests will know the date 6months in advance so they can plan accordingly. Sounds like to me you're just making excuses, so I can just cross you off the list right now.
-I was just saying.
-Well so am I.

Really.?? FI and I aren't asking anybody to take off. Our wedding isn't until 6:30 and we're totally prepared to start at 7 if we have to. I'm sure if you really wanna be there you will make it. I don't have time to stress over this cause forreal the only people that realy need to be there are me, FI, and Pastor. Everybody else can stay the hell home. It's just irritating to hear it back to back. Like I just wanna put on the Save The Dates in bold FRIDAY if you don't like it don't come. I don't know about them, but I know alot of people that look for reasons to get off of work. I'm helping you out.
May 2013 January Siggy: Cake.!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Day Vent

• Options
    People will vent regardless and have something to say regardless. I agree with you if the people that are complaining are not contributing then they need to either attend and be willing to take off work that ONE day for you. If they aren't willing to do it....that's one less mouth you have to feed. Just woo sah and let people comment but just know you are doing what's best for you and your FI financially. People must forget there are other bills along with paying for a wedding....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_wedding-day-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:5714b77e-6227-4508-950e-95bec1f9e5ebPost:b166682f-bb7b-42d2-999f-b30498097991">Wedding Day Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]So our venue gave us $1,000 off to get married on a Friday. So for us, big bonus. Wedding on Friday. Some of FI's family members are coming from OOT. About a 3hr drive. We already got the confirmation from some that they would definitely come, and some said they can't. Okayy cool. I understand the whole getting off of work and having to drive to make it there by 6:30. I get that. But when its people that live here in this vicintity that call us or msg us and ask why are we having our wedding on a Friday and are being rude about it, thats when I get mad. Like I literally had this convo: -Why yall getting married on a Friday? -Discount. -Yall already spending all this money, yall couldnt pay extra to get married on a Saturday?? -No, we couldn't are you gonna give us the extra 1k, cuz if you are then we'll get married on Saturday. -I just think you're inconviencing your guests by making them take off of work. -Look, if you don't want to come you don't have to. The people that really wanna be there will be there. Guests will know the date 6months in advance so they can plan accordingly. Sounds like to me you're just making excuses, so I can just cross you off the list right now. -I was just saying. -Well so am I. Really.?? FI and I aren't asking anybody to take off. Our wedding isn't until 6:30 and we're totally prepared to start at 7 if we have to. I'm sure if you really wanna be there you will make it. I don't have time to stress over this cause forreal the only people that realy need to be there are me, FI, and Pastor. Everybody else can stay the hell home. It's just irritating to hear it back to back. Like I just wanna put on the Save The Dates in bold FRIDAY if you don't like it don't come. I don't know about them, but I know alot of people that look for reasons to get off of work. I'm helping you out.
    Posted by shano06[/QUOTE]

Get ready for the rest of the rudeness. You still have approximately 8 months.....its coming...and that's just the light part of it.

Where in DC are you getting married? DC traffic is NO JOKE (which you know) and 50, 295, or 395, or the Beltway can be jammed up in one section for a ridiculous amount of time. You may want to start at 7 just because.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_wedding-day-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:5714b77e-6227-4508-950e-95bec1f9e5ebPost:1ac561fa-8888-4af9-86d9-d544de466915">Re: Wedding Day Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wedding Day Vent : Get ready for the rest of the rudeness. You still have approximately 8 months.....its coming...and that's just the light part of it. Where in DC are you getting married? DC traffic is NO JOKE (which you know) and 50, 295, or 395, or the Beltway can be jammed up in one section for a ridiculous amount of time. You may want to start at 7 just because.
    Posted by MrsSmith2Be02[/QUOTE]

We actually changed our venue out of DC because of traffic. We moved it about 20minutes outside of the city in Lanham, Maryland. There is going to be some rush hour traffic on 495, so yea 7 may be a good time. I just don't want to eat dinner any later than maybe 815-830.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_wedding-day-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:5714b77e-6227-4508-950e-95bec1f9e5ebPost:86cd0b16-b67b-4427-b7d1-d6311732c3b9">Re: Wedding Day Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]People will vent regardless and have something to say regardless. I agree with you if the people that are complaining are not contributing then they need to either attend and be willing to take off work that ONE day for you. If they aren't willing to do it....that's one less mouth you have to feed. Just woo sah and let people comment but just know you are doing what's best for you and your FI financially. People must forget there are other bills along with paying for a wedding....
    Posted by CaseynMike[/QUOTE]

Right, we are trying to eat AFTER the wedding. And $1,000 is alot of money saved that can go to other things. We have bills and 2 kids.
  • Options
    We had our wedding on a Sunday evening. We saved $1500+. I figured just like you, whoever wanted to be there would and whoever didn't want to be there would save us more money. It worked out fine.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    keyaira04keyaira04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the club, sistah. People do not like change, even a little bit. So they complain.

For me, it has a little bit worse with the rudest, as its July 4th weekend. 4th on Thursday, 5th on Friday, not to mention the biggest event of the year for the city starts on the 6th. Last time I was asked rudely, we told them this:

Guest (BM, mind you): I'm not going to lie; I hate Friday weddings. 
    Me:(blake stare.) Ok. Well, thats the day we are having it. But we understand if you can't attend. Just please send our gift to : [rattles off my mom's address]
    Guest's Husband: We'll be there. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Options
    Chile ignore them. I'm having a Sunday am wedding and ppl (out of my family /family friends) act like its a personal vendetta. I'm sorry did you consult me about your wedding choices?
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    nursing2unursing2u member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_wedding-day-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:5714b77e-6227-4508-950e-95bec1f9e5ebPost:45a97b33-acb3-4404-96c6-61eae74d2340">Re: Wedding Day Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Day Vent : We actually changed our venue out of DC because of traffic. We moved it about 20minutes outside of the city in Lanham, Maryland. There is going to be some rush hour traffic on 495, so yea 7 may be a good time. I just don't want to eat dinner any later than maybe 815-830.
    Posted by shano06[/QUOTE]

I agree.. people are going to complain no matter what.. But Lanham is definitely better.. But you will of course (as u know) still hit that 495 traffic.. But people have MORE THAN ENOUGH time to plan accordingly...

I soo wouldn't be stressed over that..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards