Getting in Shape
Options

Cross Fit

AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited July 2013 in Getting in Shape
I used to post here a lot using a slightly different name. Same initials (PM me if you want to know and can't figure it out). 

I've been thinking about doing Cross Fit. My training and gym memberships are both running out and from time to time, I hear people talk about Cross Fit and they seem to love it. The embarrassing thing is I can't seem to really find any information on what it is. It sounds similar to the group workouts the trainers at my gym run (not the Les Mills stuff, but the classes the trainers design that have more strength and metabolic type stuff), but I can find surprisingly little information on the specifics.

If you have been a part of a Cross Fit gym, what is it like? Do they also have things like treadmills if you go when a class isn't in session? Do you need a trainer? That would factor into my decision as joining Cross Fit without a trainer costs just as much as my gym membership WITH trainer.

Maybe I just need to go in and talk to someone, but I am notorious for making impulsive decisions based on a great sales presentation. I want to try to get some facts and hear about others' experiences first.

Re: Cross Fit

• Options
    I've been crossfitting for almost 2 years now (beginning of September will be my 2 year anniversary). If it's treadmills and typical gym equipment you are looking for, you're not going to find it in any crossfit gym. 

The way my gym works is you sign up for the first introduction class - usually it's free. If you like it, then you have to complete 4 "on ramp" classes which is where they teach you how to lift weights with proper form, etc. Then you can join the regular classes. My gym has classes all throughout the day. You start off with a 20 minute warm up -led by 2-3 coaches, then they give you an overview of what he workout is and demonstrate all the movements then you do the workout. The workouts range from such a wide range of things from flipping tires, to heavy olympic lifting to kettlebell work to slamming medicine balls to rowing to running to pullups to pushups and so much more. There's no knowing what each day will bring. 

With that, there are some bad gyms (or as we call them "boxes") out there. The number 1 thing you want to make sure is that all fo the coaches are certified! There are some horror stories out there of people getting hurt and jumping in all too much too fast because they didn't have good coaching. 

I pay $135/month for "unlimited" amounts of classes. I usually go 2-3 times per week but I have friends that go 5-6 times per week. That includes everything for the month. So you're basically getting small group workouts with trainer supervision every single time. Usuaally at least 2-3 coaches for 10-25 people. 
  • Options
    This is an older video but it's a good overview of what you can expect:

Plus every little thing is scaleable. So the workout says to lift overhead 115 pounds for women and you can only do 65, that's no problem. You push yourself to the best of your ability. 
  • Options
    AJuliaNJ said:
    I used to post here a lot using a slightly different name. Same initials (PM me if you want to know and can't figure it out). 

I've been thinking about doing Cross Fit. My training and gym memberships are both running out and from time to time, I hear people talk about Cross Fit and they seem to love it. The embarrassing thing is I can't seem to really find any information on what it is. It sounds similar to the group workouts the trainers at my gym run (not the Les Mills stuff, but the classes the trainers design that have more strength and metabolic type stuff), but I can find surprisingly little information on the specifics.

If you have been a part of a Cross Fit gym, what is it like? Do they also have things like treadmills if you go when a class isn't in session? Do you need a trainer? That would factor into my decision as joining Cross Fit without a trainer costs just as much as my gym membership WITH trainer.

Maybe I just need to go in and talk to someone, but I am notorious for making impulsive decisions based on a great sales presentation. I want to try to get some facts and hear about others' experiences first.
    I have not done cross fit. But I have seen the people at the cross fit gym running down the block with kettle bells above their head. It looks fantastic. It looks like lots more resistance and weight training with cardio. 
  • Options
    You're actually asking at a really good time because the CrossFit games kicked off this week!  CrossFit combines olympic lifting with high intensity cardio.  It's designed to be an hour workout-usually you spend 30 minutes warming up and working on the lift of the day, and then the second 30 minutes doing a WOD (workout of the day).  CrossFit is an intense workout, but it's really scalable to all abilities.  You do the weight that's right for you, so you can easily scale down, or you can scale down by doing less reps or less rounds.  It's a team environment, which is great for motivation, even though you're basically doing the WOD on your own (there are occasional partner WODs, but it's rare).

Typically, before you join CrossFit, you go through a 1 month Foundations class where you learn the basics-the lifts, form, etc. and go through some basic WODs. Unless you have a strong background in olympic lifting, you'll definitely need Foundations.  The great thing about CrossFit is that the workouts are varied-you rarely do the same one twice.  Go to YouTube and check out some videos to give you an idea of what it's like.  

A CrossFit box has no treadmills, and you typically cannot go when class isn't in session (most CrossFit boxes have anywhere from 5-8 classes per day-I go to a small box and mine has 3 morning and 2 evening classes).  You don't need a trainer, but that's because there is a coach in each class (and like I mentioned earlier, you must go through Foundations to actually participate in the class).  

CrossFit isn't cheap-my box's unlimited per month membership is $185; 2x per week is $155, and drop in is $20 per class.  Most boxes are $20-25 per class if you just drop in, and some gyms in my area are as much as $220/month unlimited (I live in DC; in Arizona it's $150 for unlimited).  Foundations usually runs about $200.  CrossFit is so expensive because you basically get group coaching by a certified trainer who can teach you proper technique, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions-I'm sure there are other CF ladies on here who have good inputs too.
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    I live in Morristown and there is a Cross Fit gym here.  As I casually run by, I see the classes and think to myself "I could never do this".  They seem to be very intense.  

However, one of my best friends is completely addicted.  She's been going for almost a year and also follows a Paleo diet (she's the one who got me started).  She said not to be afraid; that the classes follow your pace and level of fitness.  She loves the teamwork and camaraderie.  

I watched the Cross Fit games on TV in awe - those ladies are simply amazing.  Why don't you try the introductory class and see how you like it?  Please report back as I'm interested too... just gun shy (or kettle-bell shy - lol).  
  • Options
    AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Thanks! This is all great information. I think I will go and at least check it out. It seems similar in many ways, but maybe more intense, than what we do in the trainer-led classes at the gym. I'm a little afraid to like it because I really do like the gym and will miss everyone there.
  • Options
    manjermj said:
    This is an older video but it's a good overview of what you can expect:

Plus every little thing is scaleable. So the workout says to lift overhead 115 pounds for women and you can only do 65, that's no problem. You push yourself to the best of your ability. 
    I love this video. I'm excited now. This is exactly what I want to be doing.
  • Options
    BMoreBride6BMoreBride6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Cross Fit is more than a workout, it is a community.  I can't speak for all Boxes, but mine is incredible, the people are a big part of what makes it so fantastic!  Cross Fit is about meeting the athlete (all participants are called athletes which is pretty cool) where they are and making them the best they can be!  At the end of every workout, everyone is high fiving each other whether they are complete strangers or friends.  No one is ever the odd man out.  I've been a long distance runner for years (about 5 marathons and more half marathons than I can count under my belt), and picked up crossfit about 18 months ago to supplement my running...this sounds so cheesy but it changed my life in so many ways!  PM me if you need any specific details!  Go try it at the very least : ) 

ETA: I should have explained that I have been a gym rat for a good 8 years now.  I rarely miss a day at the gym and have tried almost every exercise/class out there including P90X, Insanity, Les Mills, boot camps and traditional group fitness classes.  I love a variety of thing but nothing compares to Cross Fit! 
  • Options
    Cross Fit is more than a workout, it is a community.  I can't speak for all Boxes, but mine is incredible, the people are a big part of what makes it so fantastic!  Cross Fit is about meeting the athlete (all participants are called athletes which is pretty cool) where they are and making them the best they can be!  At the end of every workout, everyone is high fiving each other whether they are complete strangers or friends.  No one is ever the odd man out.  I've been a long distance runner for years (about 5 marathons and more half marathons than I can count under my belt), and picked up crossfit about 18 months ago to supplement my running...this sounds so cheesy but it changed my life in so many ways!  PM me if you need any specific details!  Go try it at the very least : ) 

ETA: I should have explained that I have been a gym rat for a good 8 years now.  I rarely miss a day at the gym and have tried almost every exercise/class out there including P90X, Insanity, Les Mills, boot camps and traditional group fitness classes.  I love a variety of thing but nothing compares to Cross Fit! 
    My entire workout routine consists mainly of trainer-led gym classes. The best way to describe these are like Boot Camp. I usually incorporate some cardio on my own on the treadmill or stair climber. If I did Cross Fit, would that replace my whole workout, or would I also have to do some type of cardio outside of it?
  • Options
    Crossfit is cardio and weight lifting all in one! But if you like to run or do cardio, there's no harm in doing that on your days "off" - meaning days you don't go to crossfit. I've been crossftting for almost 2 years and don't do any extra cardio in addition to my 3 times/weeek at crossfit and I still got great results (lost 25 pounds in 4 months and have maintained that since January 2012).
  • Options

I did Crossfit for about 6 months - this was about 2 yrs. ago. I loved it. I got kind of turned off from all the Paleo talk and felt like I wasn't "hard core" enough to stick with it. I really did love it though. I even managed to accidentally break my fiancé's leg at the time - I had no idea how strong I was. ha.

I'm thinking of getting back into the softer version of Crossfit at my gym - Eco Cross b/c I work out a gym called Eco Fitness. They are all certified to teach Crossfit. The only problem is that I am only able to make it 2x a week because the classes are all offered during the work day. I'm wondering if 2x a week is enough - plus it's $54 a month for going 8x a month max.

Any thoughts on how many days a week you should go for optimal results?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    II've always wanted to try it!
  • Options
    I just joined up yesterday and I start the foundations class on Nov 5. Can't wait!
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards