Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Tokyo/Kyoto

Anyone been? Any advice. We are trying to go next fall after the new Harry Potter park opens (Fall 2014). Getting two birds with one stone. Disney and Universal (I know... lame reason to go! But it is my excuse to go to Japan) but we want about 4ish days in each city. I am thinking end of August or early September. (Of course depending on when the park opens). I may be able to get discounted hotel rooms through the Hilton. But it might be cheaper to book a package deal (Solar Tours, parent site of EuropeanDestinations who we used on our honeymoon). Or we could book it all seperately and price it out and see if it is worth it.

Anyway, just curious about who has been there, any advice on when to book, best time to go, things to do, etc. :-)

Thanks Ladies!

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto

• Options
    dazyabbey said:

Anyone been? Any advice. We are trying to go next fall after the new Harry Potter park opens (Fall 2014). Getting two birds with one stone. Disney and Universal (I know... lame reason to go! But it is my excuse to go to Japan) but we want about 4ish days in each city. I am thinking end of August or early September. (Of course depending on when the park opens). I may be able to get discounted hotel rooms through the Hilton. But it might be cheaper to book a package deal (Solar Tours, parent site of EuropeanDestinations who we used on our honeymoon). Or we could book it all seperately and price it out and see if it is worth it.

Anyway, just curious about who has been there, any advice on when to book, best time to go, things to do, etc. :-)

Thanks Ladies!

I don't think your reasons are lame at all. Not sure on booking advice, I have never been. But I would assume the earlier the better.
  • Options
    I'm no help at all since I haven't been, but just wanted to say I think that sounds amazing!  H and I are big disney and universal nerds too, and we've also always wanted to go to Japan!  I'd love to mix both the fun/tourist/amusement park stuff with a more traditional, cultural experience too.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I've only ever been to the airport in Tokyo, so I'm not much help.  I just wanted to tell you that this sounds like an awesome honeymoon!
  • Options

Hahaha. I am pretty excited. Hopefully we can save enough and pull it off.

I know to book as far in advanced as I can. I am thinking like 9 months probably.

• Options
    Hey!  Thought I would chime in because maybe I can help.  I went to Tokyo and Kyoto in late August a few years ago on vacation.  The weather was great when we went, warm and sunny almost every day.  I went to the Disney parks (I'm semi-obsessed, I've been to all of them except Hong Kong).  **Do not miss** Sea Disney.  It's completely different from all of the other Disney parks.  I didn't make it to Universal, so can't give you much feedback on that.  Other places you should definitely try to work into the agenda: The Kinkakuji and Gingkakuji temples, the Edo museum, Todaiji temple in Nara  I also loved doing Karaoke and getting fitted for a kimono (they take it very seriously there, so it was a great cultural experience).  Plane tickets were expensive (I think they always are), but it's not too hard to find reasonably priced hotels, even if you book close to the vacation.  Good luck and have fun!!
  • Options

I was thinking about the Kimono but I thought they were pretty pricey so I was probably going to pass.

What was the weather like when you were there? August would probably be perfect for us but we may have to wait in order for the HP park to open at Universal. Also thanks for the advice on the Sea Disney, that would probably be something I would pass on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards