Wedding Party

No bridesmaids?

I was in both my sisters' weddings, but have been saying I didn't want a bridal party. I was in a couple friends weddings and would have at least 3 other friends I would feel bad not asking, so I'd have 8 bridesmaids! I think that the stress of coordinating with all those ladies and the extra cost of BM gifts, bouquets, etc is just not worth it for me. They all know they'd be in my wedding if I had a bridal party and aren't offended. However my sisters seem a bit put off.

My question is if I don't have any bridesmaids, do I just plan my own Bachelorette party? I'm completely fine with that.

Re: No bridesmaids?

• It's rude to plan a party that's in honor of yourself. Your friends/sisters could still plan you one, if they wished (it isn't required to be a bridesmaid to plana bachelorette party) or you can pln a "girl's night out" and do bachelorette type things. It just isn't polite to invite people to fawn over you (which planning your own bachelorette can seem like).
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Just because you don't have a bridal party does not mean your friends or family can't throw you a shower or a bach party.  Those parties are a GIFT and are OPTIONAL.  If no one throws you one then you just don't get one.  You can't throw a party in your honor.  That comes off as rude and very gift grabby.

• Okay thanks! I already have several offers for showers, just wasn't sure abou the Bachelorette party. Thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_no-bridesmaids-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:efdd8417-a33d-42fa-ac07-37fe6fb28506Post:47046de8-eaad-41f5-bc53-78348038cab3">No bridesmaids?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I was in both my sisters' weddings, but have been saying I didn't want a bridal party. I was in a couple friends weddings and would have at least 3 other friends I would feel bad not asking, so I'd have 8 bridesmaids!</strong> I think that the stress of coordinating with all those ladies and the extra cost of BM gifts, bouquets, etc is just not worth it for me. They all know they'd be in my wedding if I had a bridal party and aren't offended. <strong>However my sisters seem a bit put off</strong>. My question is if I don't have any bridesmaids, <strong>do I just plan my own Bachelorette party</strong>? I'm completely fine with that.
    Posted by poodlemom13[/QUOTE]

It would be perfectly fine for you to have only your sisters as BMs and not your other 6 friends.  Many people only have siblings in their WP and not friends.  Not that you should ask them just because they want you to, but if you are feeling like if you have one you have to have 8 - don't. 

Whatever you decide, you should not plan your own bachelorette party.  They are not required anyway.  To me, the big difference between a bachelorette party and a girls night out is that one has a guest of honor and one doesn't.  At all the bachelorette parties I've been to, the bride's friends/family will pick up the bride's tab, and a lot of times will purchase small gifts (lingerie, gag gifts, etc.) for the bride.  From an etiquette standpoint, it's really not polite to invite people to shower you with attention and gifts.  Even though I'm sure that's not how you intend for it to come off. 

Anyone could throw you a bachelorette party, they don't have to be a bridesmaid or MOH.  But if no one does, it's still ok for you to put together a girls night out with your girlfriends.  If it's close to your wedding, they may treat it like your bachelorette party anyway.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm not having bridesmaids either. One of my friends is hosting my bachelorette party and my future mother-in-law (with help from one of my friends and my future sister-in-law) hosted my bridal shower. Someone will step up. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't have a WP at all.  My sister and my stepson were my witnesses. 

My aunt and her 2 daughters hosted a shower. 

I didn't have a Bachelorette party.  I didn't really care about it anyway and everyone I am close to knew that.
  • I'm not having WP either.It's less drama and headache. We are going to put that money toward our honeymoon:)
  • I think it would be fine just to have the 2 sisters.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards