Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How and when to get the cake if I am not in state?

So I live in Hawaii (stationed here) but I am from Texas and we are having the wedding there. I plan on going home about 2weeks before the wedding. My question is when do I order my cake? And can I do the cake tastings as late as 2weeks? I am thinking finder a baker who I can just pay the deposit on the cake for months in advance (I don't know how long), then when I get to TX try out the flavors. Is this doable? If so when is the time frame for getting a cake?

Re: How and when to get the cake if I am not in state?

• crltx said:
    So I live in Hawaii (stationed here) but I am from Texas and we are having the wedding there. I plan on going home about 2weeks before the wedding. My question is when do I order my cake? And can I do the cake tastings as late as 2weeks? I am thinking finder a baker who I can just pay the deposit on the cake for months in advance (I don't know how long), then when I get to TX try out the flavors. Is this doable? If so when is the time frame for getting a cake?
    I guess it depends on where in TX and when (like is it in the middle of wedding season). Is there someone there that can try cake for you? Before you put a deposit down. Some bakeries will do several weddings  a weekend so you could be ok. I would contact them, let them know you are interested.You could do 2 weeks but you could also be cutting it close. I guess it also depends on what kind of cake you want, fancy bakery? Grocery Store?
  • crltxcrltx member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

April wedding in the outskirts of Austin. My family can try the cake for me. I just don't want someon picking my flavor out. I would like a fancy bakery.

• edited July 2013
    I ordered my cake in England when I was still in DC.   I paid a small deposit to save the date, and then when I moved to England, I had my tasting.   I think if you made it clear you're happy to pay a deposit for the date, the baker might be willing to allow you a tasting at that late date, especially if you explain your circumstances.  Or you could have your partner do the tasting and report back to you.   I think it helped that I knew the flavors I wanted, and made sure that my baker could do them before I put down the deposit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Could your baker overnight some samples to you? You could offer to pay. 2 weeks is cutting it close....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards