Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination Wedding

Hi All,

My name is Nicole and I am new the knot as well as newly engaged. My fiancee and I after much consideration are cotemplating a destination wedding, possibly with Beaches. If we were to go through with the wedding here in NY we are looking at almost 300+ people and a price tag of no less than $40,000. The idea of a destination wedding is much more appealing for more reasons then just the finanical cost however it's slightly overwhelming on where to begin. We are looking to get married in early 2015 and figure if we can give people about two years notice those who really want to come have ample amount of time to save. I would love any feedback from those who have gone through a similar process or have attended a destination wedding. Thanks in advance.

Nicole

Re: Destination Wedding

• Options
    Welcome and congratulations!! Have you started scoping destinations yet? Whether you will go all inclusive or a villa type of thing? We love all inclusives and always start at apple vacations or fun jet websites to get an idea of what's out there. Also I have heard afew brides rave about Beach Bum Vacations. As far as I know their services are free. I did not use them but i had a consultation with them and they were very helpful finding options in my price range and giving me ideas. Def stick around and keep us updated :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    OMG! I am going through the exact same issue.. Too expensive to have it here ( AZ) and really I just want to be at the beach lol. So I am currently scrambling spending HOURS DAYS WEEKS finding a perfect destinaton and resort that offers a great wedding package.. IDK who ever told anyone that destination weddings are stress free but thats a lie lol!! I am having a really hard time matching what were looking for to our guests budget.. UGH!! 

Anyway- Check out the Palace resorts in Mexico. AMAZING.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I am torn significantly between staying with the traditional wedding or going with the destination. I appreciate all your input.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Congrats and welcome! I am actually a second time bride. I had the big traditional East Coast wedding the first time around. It was a very elaborate affair and cost over six figures. The second time around, I decided on a destination wedding because I wanted to focus more on being a couple and the marriage rather than the "party", not worrying about keeping everyone else happy, and the eliminating the drama that comes with a traditional wedding (family and finances). Destination weddings are not for everyone. You won't have everyone there that would you may want to come, unless you pay for them yourself. You also, most of the time, have to relenquish control of planning to the resort or onsite coordinator. I got married in Australia so I couldn't easily do a site visit or meet with the coordinator beforehand. However, a destination wedding can make things stress free, provide the option for a gorgeous scenery and make it easier to just plan in general. I MUCH preferredmy destination wedding to my big wedding, not even taking the groom into account :) However, I'm the type of person that prefers simplicity, quiet surroundings, and the least amount of stress and drama as possible.

• Options
    Welcome!  Beaches resort weddings are the exact same as the weddings at Sandals (where I got married!)  I can answer all of your questions regarding costs for the wedding/reception. 

Wait, did you mean Beaches resorts or having a wedding on the beach? lol!  If you meant the resort I can give you lots of info about costs (we had 30 guests and spent apx $8,000 for the ceremony, private dinner reception with DJ and open bar, photography (includes albums), fire pit after the reception with steel drum band, my makeup, hair, mani pedi and makeup for my mom & two sisters).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome!  The best advice is to get a travel agent to help you!!  Like a PP, we used Beach Bum Vacations (Marcie was our agent).  It was free, and she made our lives SO much easier.  She helped us narrow down resorts and gave us a bunch of suggestions based on our conversations with her about what we wanted.  Plus, she worked with the resort to get our contract set up with them, so it was just a lot easier and less stressful.  

Once you get the resort chosen, the rest is super easy and just a lot of waiting. :) 

• Options
    Thanks everyone, I think we are taking destination off the table. There's to many people I want to be able to celebrate with that would not be able to financially attend and I have had a hard time not picturing myself getting married in the church. Thanks for all the advice though.
  • Options
    @Julyet06
    Hi!!  Congrats on your wedding!

My fiancee is really pushing for Beaches Turks or Sandals Bahamas, but the $300+ per day per person price for your guests to pay seems REALLY high.  did you get any backlash when you invited your guests and they found out it was over $600/per day per couple??   I'm VERY worried this may be too much to ask???
  • Options

@Jaz2012

Thank you!!  I did get a little grumbling from my guests, however we told them one whole year in advance that if they chose to stay at a different resort for any reasons it would be a cost to them. However, the guests passes at Sandals Negril in Jamaica was $130 for a whole day, 10am to 2am (the next morning) or $260 per couple OR $85 for a half day ($170 per couple).  I know the wedding packages were more expensive for the Bahamas when compared to Jamaica for Sandals/Beaches, but those day pass prices are even more ridiculous than I thought they were for my guests!!  Are you sure those are the prices?  Also, do you have any reason to believe that any of your guests won't stay at Beaches with you?  Maybe it won't even need to be considered.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We just got engaged and are looking for resorts too. I'm excited to start looking into all these ideas posted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards