Chit Chat

Why do weddings make everyone crazy?

Is it just me or do weddings turn everyone into complete crazy people!?

My mom has completely lost it. She's the kind of person who really likes to be helpful, and she's offered to help so many times that I took her up on it and gave her a few SMALL tasks, but they're completely stressing her out. This is frustrating for me because when I offer to take back over the task, she acts like I have just killed her kitten. SOMEONE has to do these things, if you can't, please let me take it back on. I mean really, it's not a big deal. Just let me do it.

Then she calls me the other day at lunch, and she's CRYING on the phone. I've heard my mom cry maybe 3 times in my life, and those times were usually because either someone died or she slammed her finger in the door accidentally. So, she's on the phone crying, and she just keeps repeating, "YOU WANT ME TO BE TYRA BANKS BUT I'M FAILING! I'M FAILING!" 

........what. 

What does that even mean? Do you think I want you to be black? Do you think I want you to be a giant? Do you think I want you to have a horrible talk show? What on earth could I have said to make you believe I want you to be Tyra Banks? 

My mom never wears makeup or cares about her wardrobe - she just chills out in hiking boots and sweats most days. Why does she seem to suddenly care about what she looks like, and why does she think I care what she looks like? I'm trying my best to be sensitive to whatever it is she's going through, but seriously, it's hard to not just laugh. 

Anyway, that's my vent for the evening. Am I alone in this? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Why do weddings make everyone crazy?

• My mom is also incredibly helpful and giving, but she's taking over my wedding. Your mom is just excited for you, but that tyra banks comment sounds hilarious.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Definitely seen some of the crazy come out. Not going to lie, I laughed pretty hard at the Tyra comment. What did she say after this was all said and done? 
  • Definitely seen some of the crazy come out. Not going to lie, I laughed pretty hard at the Tyra comment. What did she say after this was all said and done? 
    She called me back and apologized, but there have been little moments like that since then. It's sort of maddening.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • My mom has gone crazy in the opposite direction.  Every little thing deserves a project.  She has decided she needs to tie bows around the base of each champagne glass and glue a pearl on each bow.  She has opinions on how the napkins need to be folded.  She made paper roses for the reception and now it's like an obsession.  Every time I call her she's made smaller and smaller ones, pretty soon she'll be on the news for making a paper rose that fits in the eye of a needle.  It's all wonderful and we love and appreciate her but the wedding is in two weeks now.  No more new projects, please!
    "Courage is the price which life exacts for granting peace..."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In the lead-up to my wedding my mom went nuts too. She was over-sensitive about everything and ready to cry half the time, and the other half the time she wanted to be so lovey-dovey towards me it was smothering. I think probably for a lot of parents, weddings bring out all sorts of confusing emotions.
  • edited August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards