Chit Chat

NWR: Work b.s. AAAHHHH

So long story short I got a job in my degree field (yay!). Pay isn't horrible and is more than what I was making at my last job. Today I found out that we (all the employees) will not be paid for 4 weeks because when my company took over the account we "missed the pay roll".

First off I am shocked and my 1st thought was if we "missed payroll" wouldn't it be 3 weeks until we get paid because we're supposed to be paid every two weeks. My thought is... wouldn't 4 weeks be 2 full pay periods? Maybe I'm not thinking that through because I'm so shocked.

Anyway, as if that was not sucky enough there's been talk about how our first 2 weeks will NOT be on that paycheck and we will NOT be paid for the first 2 weeks until we leave the company (either quit or get fired) and if that happens our first 2 weeks of pay would be at minimum wage per hour NOT what we're actually being paid. 

I asked my boss what day (such as August 23rd for example) our paycheck would come on and his response was "I will ask the payroll people. They told me the other day. Let me check I forgot. I will find out and I will let you know."

I am so shocked by this and it makes my head hurt (not litterally) thinking about it. I don't know what to do (if anything) and I needed to vent too. 

Re: NWR: Work b.s. AAAHHHH

• That sounds really sketchy. 
  • Call the Department of Labor. There is a federal one and your state probably has one also. It's against the law not to pay people.
  • Ditto Mercedes.  Call the Dept of Labor.  Something sounds weird.  So the company you worked for, bought out another company?  And that is why they missed payroll?  My company has bought out some smaller companies and they never had any issues getting our pay checks to us.
  • That feels sketchy, depending on where you work. I know at my company, you don't get paid for the first 4 weeks, but then when you leave you have 2 additional paychecks coming (bi-monthly pay). But you're told that up-front before you accept the job.
  • I can see going 4 weeks without pay if the pay cycle is every two weeks and then two weeks behind.  But it still seems sketchy that you just happened to catch the cycle at the "wrong" moment to fall into this hole.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I would reach out to L&I and/or the Dept of Labor.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone. I will definitely bring it up to my boss. I would have no problem with getting a paper check. I think that's how he does it anyway (mails checks). I didn't think about going to the Department of Labor but that is a very good idea. Thanks everyone! 
  • I found out that my boss holding our 1st two weeks of pay without our consent is illegal which I was thinking. Also i looked over everything I filled out / signed and nothing said anything about holding our first paycheck / 2 weeks of pay. After a couple of us brought this to his attention his story changed a little bit so now I guess it's a waiting game to see what our paycheck looks like and when we will get our first paycheck.
  • I am a payroll manager and we pay weekly for over 1500 employees.  This situation is not legal!  You should first contact the payroll department and remind them of the law, and if nothing is done then bring the matter to the Department of Labor. 
  • I would also remind them that just because someone "missed payroll" that shouldn't be your issue.  You didn't "miss work" - They need to correct the problem internally.  Even though its probably going to be a huge headache to someone, but that shouldn't be your issue!
  • I work for the state and they recently switched us from monthly to bi weekly, and since it's on a lag system our first two week check was two weeks later (June 15 we got paid for May 16-June 15, then July 12 we got paid for June 16-29 for example). In theory I lost two weeks pay since I was used to getting 4 weeks and only hot 2, but when I leave I'll have one last check coming to me. What they're doing is illegal at worst and unsettling at best. If they're going to screw with your pay, what else are they going to do?
  • Thanks everyone. The department of labor has been contacted and my boss is saying that we will get paid for July 28 - Aug 4 on Aug 25. From what he says... the next payday is Aug 9 but since our company took over this account on the 28th we therefore did not work any if the days that would come on the Aug 9th payday. I guess all I can do now is wait and see what happens.
  • I guess July 28 was the last day of the first week if the pay period and that Aug 4 is the last day if the 2nd week of the pay period and we get paid every two weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards