Plus-Sized

My dress saga ends in a happy ending

This is going to be a long post, pre warning you as I have a lot to share!

This past June I went to an Alfred Angelo store in Orlando and had the worst experience. The dresses were so dirty they were black and as the young sales person was fitting them on me, she told me how horrible my body was in each and every gown.  I almost burst into tears a few times in the dressing room but stayed for the entire appointment.  I was depressed for weeks after then decided on the road trip to DC that you all recommended.  Although it wasn't really in the budget, we made it happen.

I made two appointments for August 2nd -- Cherry Blossom Bridal and Curvy Girl Bridal.  Then I obssed to see what dresses they might have.  There was one on Cherry Blossom's Facebook page that I definitely wanted to try on -- Maggie Sottero, Benita.  Driving up from Florida I sent a text message to my future sister in law (she's marrying my fiance's brother in October) telling her that I loved her engagement photos and that I was going on the road.  She sends me a text letting me know she just purchased her gown two days before:  Maggie Sottero, Benita.  Yeah...  I forgot to mention that the color of their clothes in the engagement photos is the same exact color that my fiance and I picked for ours, just haven't taken the pictures.  I let her know all this and we both had a laugh (we discovered we are a lot alike).  At least I knew she purchased the dress before I put down a deposit!  Surprisingly I wasn't terribly disappointed, maybe I knew ultimately that wasn't my style.

On to the bridal shops:

Cherry Blossom Bridal
It's in DC, Pennsylvania Ave, on the outskirts from the Capitol.  Keba is the owner who really was amazing.  The store has only been open since January, a quaint brownstone home converted into a boutique. With all my body issues before going to the store, I left feeling like the most beautiful bride.  Keba said her goal was to make me forget that I hated my arms -- and she did.  She told me that she started the business because she had so many issues getting a dress when she got married, even had to have her sisters try on dresses for her and didn't want anyone to have that same experience.  I told her about the Maggie dress then she remembered a dress she has similar but by Sincerity.  It was gorgeous.  I was "wow'ed."  Actually, I couldn't stop saying "wow."  I told her I wanted to think about it that evening and made an appointment to get measured the next morning.  I left thinking I was going to purchase that dress but was still going to the next appointment "just to see."

Curvy Girls Bridal
Driving from DC to Fairfax Virginia, don't trust your GPS.  We were half hour late but they were so accommodating.  Ruth is the owner and I had Taylor helping me.  They had their sample dresses at 50%.  Taylor wanted to put me in a dress first to see what my body looks like and then pull ones that flatter.  Since Keba took away all my restrictions, Taylor and Ruth just kept pulling dresses they thought would look good on me.  There were so many.  Then I saw one in the sample section that had these little flowers on them but not in my size.  Taylor pulled one that had a little less of the flowers and put it on me.  I knew as she was securing it in the back that it was the one.  I am a very feminine girlie girl, I've wanted a Pricess Bride (the movie) type dress and this was it. It was a Pronovias dress that I would have not afforded if it wasn't half price.  I also got 10% more on everything (veil, belt) because I liked them on Facebook.  My mom loved it too, she wanted the belt and she was right! (I'm not posting a picture because my fiance and I share this account and I don't want him to accidentally see the picture.  I will post after the wedding, though.)  I almost cried happy tears, and like they say, you don't want to take it off.  I didn't.  Had dreams about it that night so could barely sleep and I was driving back the next day!

So all of you contemplating a road trip.  Just do it. I had gone to another store before Alfred Angelo but wasn't able to try on the "pretty" dresses the skinny brides were trying on next to me. It was the typical samples I felt they put plus size women in. We all want the experience of being beautiful, of being able to try everything on to see what works for us without someone judging; we all deserve that experience.   Since the dress was a sample, it's sitting in my spare closet, the veil and belt are being ordered and mailed to me.  Now to find a tailor to hem it all up (I'm short so it's way long)!

The only thing I felt bad about was not getting the dress from Keba, Cherry Blossom.  She was so amazingly kind.  I hope she understands.

Re: My dress saga ends in a happy ending

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards