Wedding Party
Options

Color of Shoes

So I am not requiring that my bridesmaids wear the same shoe, I do want them though to all be the same color. The bridesmaid dresses are navy with a coral sash (the sash is really more of a pink coral than an orange coral), and I was wondering what color shoes would look nice? I am worried if I said navy that might be too broad and someone will get an off color blue that does not look right. Would silver look okay? 

Re: Color of Shoes

• Options
    My BMs wore navy dresses with silver shoes.  
  • Options
    I love navy and silver.     I'd go for that or nude. 
  • Options
    Thanks!:)
  • Options
    Okay well one of my bridesmaid is not wanting to buy shoes period. She is wanting to wear a pair of black shoes. What should I do? I feel like I should get a little say. 
  • Options
    I can check on that and see. I would buy them, but I feel bad doing for one and not doing it for the others and I simply cannot afford that, which I guess nobody would know but it seems unfair to the other girls. I just feel like when you agree to be a bridesmaid you understand a certain expense will be there?? Im really trying to be flexible, but I feel like she should be to. I am not asking for a lot, just their dress and for the shoes to all be the same color. She is just not wanting to be agreeable on anything. 
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Are the dresses long or short? If they are long, just let her be because it's probably not worth starting a big thing over. No one is going to pay attention to the bridesmaids' shoes in long dresses (and if you're really concerned you can mention it to your photographer and (s)he can try to discretely pose her shoes out of a lot of the shots where they otherwise might be visible).

If the bridesmaid dresses were at the top of the budget that she gave you before picking out dresses, and she really doesn't own any silver, nude or navy shoes, and it's that important to you that she wear them, then you should probably pay for them.

If the dresses are short AND were well below the budget she told you, then personally I think it's ok to say, "I'd really prefer you wear nude or silver shoes." But don't harp on it and if she ends up not wearing them... oh well. If her shoes end up looking weird with her dress people will judge her and not you.

• Options
    The dresses are short and the dress was $150 the low end of the budget for everyone. That was really my concern how everything will look in the photos, but I really like your suggestion. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Even with short dresses, no one will notice or care about the shoes. I asked my bridesmaids to wear black and I'd take it back if I could because it seriously did not make any difference in the slightest.
  • Options
    I think you can still say that you prefer nude or silver. They are basics and available in a wide variety of prices.

• Options
    As a BM, I'd bite the bullet and buy a pair of shoes in silver, even though I'd likely never wear them again. I'd be irritated because I think matching BM shoes are one of those stupid details that no one really notices but brides fixate on because they feel like they are supposed to, but I'd buy them. As a bride, I'd have everyone wear black shoes or wear whatever color they wanted. I can tell you from experience that I to this day have no clue what color shoes all the girls wore at my wedding (2 in short dresses and 2 in pants, so they were visible). If she feels strongly enough to push back on it, and she's supposedly one of your closest friends, is it really worth an argument? Maybe something has come up and she really cannot afford to buy a new pair of shoes right now. I just don't think it's a hill to die on, myself.

This.  All of this.

I don't own any dress shoes that aren't in black.  If a friend wanted me to get silver shoes of no particular style, I'd probably suck it up, but I'd never wear them again.  Silver would have looked awesome with the dresses my bridesmaids wore, but I didn't want them to have to pay for anything else.  I asked them to wear black shoes because I knew they all had them (and I knew this because I asked to make sure).

If your friend is in a jam and can't buy shoes, and you can't afford to buy them, then I'd just let her wear black.  She'll be happy and comfortable.  Having happy bridesmaids is better than matching shoes.

• Options
    I told all of mine that I'd like silver. Frankly none of them told me whether they had silver shoes or not, but if they didn't have silver shoes and had a different color, I'd be fine with that as well, but if they can match without having to buy new shoes or out of their budget then i'd like it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Definitely nude. A really pretty color combination like that can't be ruined!
  • Options
    My BMs asked me what colour shoes they should wear. I told them that I couldn't care less, preferably nothing fluro. No one is going to be looking at their shoes anyway. Just tell them all to wear whatever they want so one isn't the odd one out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Even with short dresses I wouldn't die on this hill. BM shoes aren't that noticeable even in short dresses. Cheap shoes can be very uncomfortable for anyone. For those with foot/back/hip problems, their shoes may cost $100+.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards