Offbeat Weddings

Alice in Wonderland wedding theme

I really love disney (my FH and i are honeymooning there) and I wanted to do an alice in wonderland themed wedding. I wanted to know what peoples opinions were with it because some people have told me that the theme is "too childish". What do you think?

Re: Alice in Wonderland wedding theme

• emilyb213emilyb213 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Answer
    edited August 2013

I think it's one thing to do subtle nods to Alice in Wonderland, but if you're talking a full on "theme", I think that is better left for a kid's birthday party. For instance, a pocketwatch motif on your invitations, incorporating some vintage teacups into your decor, doing tiny hearts on your cake, etc. wouldn't look childish, but sticking Cheshire Cat faces on everything will look more like a kid's birthday party, particularly if it's the Disney version.

I think wedding themes are like perfume or jewelry - less is always more.

• There's a lot haters on The Knot for themed weddings. That does not mean it's too childish, it just means it's not their cup of tea. It's your wedding, you can do whatever you want.

Check out this couple who did all out Disney theme: http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/this-couple-really-really-loves-disney-slideshow/

Despite what others may tell you, I in no way shape or form see how having a themed wedding somehow diminishes the love and happiness that is embodied in a wedding.

If you want to do Alice in Wonderland, go for it! Google "Alice in Wonderland wedding," you'll find lots of things.
  • There's so much you can do with Alice in Wonderland. Options are endless. You can go all in or do the subtle nods. 
    Hell, even a bride on Four Weddings did an Alice in Wonderland theme. She had a croquet room with plastic flamingos glued to the mallets. And the guest brides loved it! 

Have fun and post pictures! 

Anniversary
  • David Tutera did an Alice in Wonderland themed My Fair Wedding.

http://www.wetv.com/shows/my-fair-wedding/episodes/season-3/alice-in-wonderland
  • I think it sounds fun! If that would make you happy, you should go for it! I'm sure the guests will have a lot of fun with it, too.
  • I think it sounds fun! But agree with @emilyb213 that you should make sure it's still elegant, rather than childish. You could use littlle "eat me" and "drink me" signs during cocktail hour. Alice and Wonderland makes me think of a very English garden feel overall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards