Wedding Party
Options

Did I do something wrong?

Sorry, this is long. I'm the maid of honor to my best friend, and she has let the bridal party understand that I know her the best out of all the girls. The bride shared with me that she really hoped for a destination bachelorette party in Las Vegas or Miami. So, on the day when we went bridal dress shopping all together, I shared that with the rest of the bridesmaids while she was in the dressing room just to get the feel of what everyone thinks and we can start planning for a weekend since it's not close to us and we would also be inviting her guests that would be able to come.

I had already asked my best friend for the guest list for both the bachelorette and the shower. She has done so much for me and I want her to have the bridal shower I think she would love, and recently, I offered to host the bridal shower for her as a gift from me to her. At first, she said she didn't want to put that stress on me, and that I should split it with the other bridesmaids. So I said if she preferred that I don't, then I will do whatever will make her happy, but then she said she was honored and she was excited that I offered. A few days later, another bridesmaid (her sister in law), started asking her questions about the bachelorette and what she wanted which is fine, but then she asked my bf about the shower. And my bf said that I was planning her shower and that I already have the guest list. The bridesmaid starts saying that it's not fair that I got to plan it, and that she has ideas too, and what if she wanted to pay for her shower? My bf is not good with unexpected questions like that, but she told me that what she wanted to say was that I'm her maid of honor, and that's why I'm planning it. But she's so sweet, and doesn't want to hurt any feelings. Anyways, the bridesmaid asked if she could have the shower guest list also. My bf said yes, but she called me that night to talk about the situation. She decided that she would have to talk to the the bridesmaid (her sil) and explain to her what the role of a maid of honor does. 

I guess I'm not upset if the bridesmaid doesn't understand what a maid of honor means, but that she even put the bride through that and even asked for the guest list after my best friend told her I was planning the shower and already had the guest list. In my opinion, if the bride already wanted me to throw her the shower, then contact me about your ideas. If I think the bride would like that, then I will include that. If I don't, then I prob won't use it. I already planned to pay for everything so it's not like I'm asking any of the bridesmaids for money. If course, if they wanted to help in other ways such as decorate, make favors, or pick up cake, etc, that would be greatly appreciated.

How would you handle this situation?

Re: Did I do something wrong?

• Options
    I would just ask for the bridesmaid's phone number so you can call her and try to plan this stuff together since she obviously wants to be involved. And ditto Lia. Just b/c you're the MOH doesn't mean you are in charge of anything or responsible for anything. All it means is the bride digs you. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    For bachelorette, I understand it's a lot of money, but all the bridesmaids were in, and I already sent an email out to reach out, confirm a date, and ask to get together to plan it, but only 1 has confirmed the date with me so far.

I do understand that the MOH doesn't alway plan the shower, but if the bride wanted me to be in charge and okayed it the second time I spoke to her about this, shouldn't I follow the bride's suggestion?
  • Options

No one is saying you shouldn't plan the shower, we are saying that it SIL should be allowed to help with the shower also. She is clearly interested and excluding her because she isn't the MOH isn't very nice.
    Exactly this. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    No I never planned to exclude anyone. I did plan on hosting it and paying for everything. I was hoping everyone would want to help out, but I got pulled off guard when she insisted on receiving a guest list also after learning I had it already. I think like others have advised is to reach out and see what the bridesmaids want to help with.That sounds like a good idea. So on the invite, can I still put hosted by me if I'm paying for the shower or should I include everyone's names?
  • Options

No I never planned to exclude anyone. I did plan on hosting it and paying for everything. I was hoping everyone would want to help out, but I got pulled off guard when she insisted on receiving a guest list also after learning I had it already. I think like others have advised is to reach out and see what the bridesmaids want to help with.That sounds like a good idea. So on the invite, can I still put hosted by me if I'm paying for the shower or should I include everyone's names?
    Why are you so set on being the one to pay? If others want to contribute, why won't you let them? And if they do, I think you should indicate that they are helping host as well. 

• Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper

Based on what you said you're putting yourself up on a pedestal and if I were a bridesmaid I wouldn't feel well about approaching you with ideas.  I think YOU need to reach out to all the girls and say, "I've offered to host the bridal shower! Would anyone like to assist with this? I'd love to hear ideas."

Instead, what I've read, it comes across like "I know her best. I'm planning. Period."  If anyone else contributes at all you need to list them as hosts...if they bring any food, decoration, etc.

• Options
    Ok thanks for the last 2 posts especially from mlg 78:
    mlg78 said:

Based on what you said you're putting yourself up on a pedestal and if I were a bridesmaid I wouldn't feel well about approaching you with ideas.  I think YOU need to reach out to all the girls and say, "I've offered to host the bridal shower! Would anyone like to assist with this? I'd love to hear ideas."

Instead, what I've read, it comes across like "I know her best. I'm planning. Period."  If anyone else contributes at all you need to list them as hosts...if they bring any food, decoration, etc.

This puts things in perspective. Thanks!
  • Options
    The other thing to remember is that this is your friend's sister-in-law, which means she's married to the bride's brother. That's a relationship that's going to be very important to her for the rest of her life -- you need to tread carefully so as not to cause hurt feelings or put your friend in the middle of a tug-of-war between her BFF and her SIL. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    The destination party is going to be expensive. Perhaps the reason most of them haven't replied yet is because they didn't realize how expensive it was going to be? If the bride really wants to go somewhere, maybe you can offer to pay for just her and her FI to go either before or after the wedding for an extended-weekend getaway type deal. And then just plan something more local for the actual party so that it will be easier to coordinate. I do agree with others on here that you should accept the help if someone is offering. I may be wrong, but I got the impression that you were offended by the SIL wanting to help and wanting to pay for things. I'm not quite sure why you seem so insistent on paying, but if it were me I would love to have the help planning and paying. Also, the bride obviously picked her BMs because she is close to them in one way or another. So I understand that since you are her best friend and know her the best means she made you MOH, but I think you are missing the fact that the other BMs know her in their own ways, and as such they may have some good ideas to contribute that you may not have thought of. I think you should reach out to all of them, not just the SIL, and ask for their opinions and suggestions. Then, if no one has any, you still did the respectful thing by asking. By the way, I hope that you aren't reading this in a snippy/negative connotation. I was trying to be helpful not mean :)
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Who knows? Maybe the SIL wanted the guest list so she could plan a shower too, and invite some people from her side of the family who were not on the bride's shower guest list. Who knows? Maybe her family members were asking her about a shower and she didn't want to talk about it to those not on the bride's guest list.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, keep lines of communication open with other BM and let them know that you would like to host the shower and ask if anyone has any ideas or would like to help out in anyway. Why take on the stress of doing it all yourself when you can delegate some of the work, even if it's just help picking items up. And heck if people are willing to help pay for, why not take the help.
  • Options
    You're being very generous, I would just extend participation to all in the wedding party and if people want to help, they will get the chance.  It sounds like your heart is in the right place, just make sure everyone feels comfortable participating if they want to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards