Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Guest Book ideas

I'm trying to think of something creative to do with the guestbook. I'm really not a fan of the list your name and address kind of thing. It just seems like a record for sending thank you cards, is really impersonal, and I'll probably just throw it away later. A name and address isn't a great way to bring up memories, you know?

I did some looking around on line and found "guestbooks" where you have a plate or poster or other keepsake for guests to sign that you can display later. But I have the same issue with that as I do the normal book. It's just a list of names that's going to do nothing for me later.

I did come across a great idea where you have a notebook of blank paper and a Polaroid camera. Guests can take pictures of themselves having fun at the party, put it in the book, and then write something. That sounds  much more valuable and like something I could treasure over the years.

I was wondering what other ideas people might have.

Re: Guest Book ideas

• Options
    What about a calendar? You can have people sign on their birthdays.

If we were doing a guest book (we're skipping it, since our photobooth comes with a photo book), I'd probably just pick up a bunch of mini envelopes and scraps of paper and have people write little "letters" for me to paste into a scrapbook one day.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned doing a photobooth instead of a Polaroid camera, so that's an idea. I do like the idea of having pictures of the guests so you get to see them having a good time.

I also like the idea of having guests write notes and putting them in a scrap book. I've heard of people doing that with vintage postcards too.
  • Options
    We had a book made with photos from our engagement shoot, and then questions like "What is your favorite memory of bride and groom? Why is bride perfect for groom? Why is groom perfect for bride? etc." on some of the pages. Lots of people wrote in more than one spot - and some of the comments were really funny while a lot of the advice was really good. One of my BMs loved this so much that she made her own on shutterfly to use for her wedding a month later.
  • Options
    We got wine from a local winery that we love, put a bottle (unopened) on each table with a silver sharpie (bottles are green) and a little tag on each bottle asking everyone at the table to sign the bottle. We're going to pull a bottle out at each anniversary to drink it & look at the signatures on the bottle
  • Options
    allispain said:
    We had a book made with photos from our engagement shoot, and then questions like "What is your favorite memory of bride and groom? Why is bride perfect for groom? Why is groom perfect for bride? etc." on some of the pages. Lots of people wrote in more than one spot - and some of the comments were really funny while a lot of the advice was really good. One of my BMs loved this so much that she made her own on shutterfly to use for her wedding a month later.
    I've heard of this called a "conversation starter" guest book, but I'd never seen it with the pictures included! I think we may end up doing that! You can come up with all kinds of questions to use as page headers, and then guests are saying a lot more than "congrats!" and signing their names. 

I've heard of an anniersary-advice guest book, although not actually a guest book. Essentially you have containers for different anniversaries--1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, etc., and people write advice for that anniversary, and you're not supposed to open it until you're at that anniversary!

I read somewhere online about a Madlibs guest book--I think there was a Madlibs page about the couple at each table that the guest could each fill in and sign. I want to do something more like a single book, rather than distributed pages, but I thought this was cute, too.

For just signing the name, you could also do a puzzle...you can buy a blank puzzle and disassemble it, and then every guests signs a piece, and you can put the puzzle together later.

• Options
    I totally stole this idea from another Knottie but I am running with it - FI and I are big hockey fans and I'm ordering a custom Blackhawks jersey with his last name and the number 14 for the year we're getting married. We'll put it out on a table with a sharpie so people can "autograph" it and after the wedding we'll have it framed and hang it on the wall.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I was really in love with the polariod idea, but it's not cost effective at all. So, second choice is the "conversation starter" guest book. I'm thinking of buying a set of colored pens to go with it. I just need to figure out what questions to include.
  • Options
    We used black river rocks (from Michael's) and silver Sharpies. People wrote little messages and/or just signed their names (I never know what to write, so I would have been happy to pick a small rock), and now we keep them in a vase in our living room. It's a nice reminder of our loved ones who shared in our wedding day. 
  • Options
    we did a photo book of pictures throughout our relationship and called it the "Story of Us."  It had quotes and facts about us a couple. People really enjoyed it and its a nice keepsake.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We are planning on doing river rocks and a vase too, like kipnus
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards