Texas-Houston
Options

Has anyone had their wedding at a park or planning to?

Hey everyone! Hoping to get some pointers. I am thinking about having my ceremony and possibly reception at one of the parks around here, but I have no clue on any of the logistics. 
Any tips pointers, ect that ya'll can give me?

Bit of info: guest count will be well under 20 people, looking more at possibly less then 10.
I do already live in Houston if that matters at all

Re: Has anyone had their wedding at a park or planning to?

• Options
    City of Houston Parks allows you to reserve online for a nominal fee, plus a sound permit.  I think you can get a part for less than $250.  Baldwin Park in midtown is really pretty.  They have a website and you create an account and request the reservation - they e-mail you your confirmation.  There may be additional fees/waivers if you want to serve food/alcohol.  https://activenet011.active.com/houstonparks/  

Houston First Outdoors has a separate process but you can just e-mail them (google it) and they will tell you everything you need to do and send you the paperwork.  Their process seemed a bit more time consuming and they have higher prices, but also nicer and larger outdoor venues downtown.  

Each city, state, and county will have it's own set of parks and rules for permitting.  The Heights has a few parks that can be reserved (Marmian (sp?) Park near The Heights Firestation).  The trick is finding each state/municipality's individual information and finding out what parks they have where, and asking for each one's process for permitting.

Figuring out WHICH park will required a lot of google maps satellite searches and drive-bys.  Sorry I couldn't give you an easy answer, but I tried looking into this and it was time consuming - but will save a ton of money!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for replying. It is very time consuming and more hitting my head against a wall then anything else it seems. 
    I am hoping for Sylvan Rodriguez Park (my first choice sense I love this park) 
    But finding any information seems to be nearly impossible *bangs head into wall*
  • Options
    Looks like Sylvan Rodriguez Park is part of the City of Houston Parks and Recreation, so the info I posted above about online permitting should work...
  • Options
    Thank you both so much. I really apprecate both of you. 
    The Mr wants to go visit one more park before we decide anything for sure. So hopefully we will make it out to that one in a couple weeks and then I can start making phone calls. 
  • Options
    Cheetah2BCheetah2B member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Check out Huntsville state park Lodge. Has a home style kitchen, GORGEOUS old timey bar, 2 rooms and has tables and chairs, along with a really pretty concrete/stone patio facing lake Huntsville.

On a Non-holiday it's $100 or $150 for the day. But park closes at 9 or 10. Good thing is, you don't have to have cops, a liqueur license or any permits! They just ask you have concealed containers if you go outside(Texas law).
  • Options
    My friend had her's there and it was such a great setting....the price was right and everything went really well.  Guess it just depends if your guests are willing to travel a bit outside of Houston.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards