Offbeat Weddings

Name alternatives

I need some alternatives to the traditional wedding terms. I hate 'wedding reception' 'bridesmaid' and 'groomsmen'....so boring. We are using 'partner in crime' in place of MOH and best man. To give you an idea where this is going, our invitaions look like band flyers and we will be having a dance and I live metal show from a local band ;)
ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME! :)

Re: Name alternatives

• If you post on multiple boards, put "XP" in your title.

The responses you received to this same post over on the Wedding Party board were spot on. If you call your bridesmaids and groomsmen by something else, people (especially older guests) aren't going to know who you're talking about. And while a metal band might be to your liking, I'd be prepared to have a lot of people leave early because they don't care for the band. Personally, I'd rather have a DJ or a band playing songs the majority of my guests would enjoy, since the whole point of the reception is to thank your guests for attending your ceremony. I wouldn't do something knowing that it's likely to annoy my guests to the point that they want to leave early.

• Wow. For an offbeat bride form you guys sure want to play exactly by the rules. Weddings are ment to celebrate the couple not some stuffy affair. To many snotty people on these boards for me!! Live life people and stop conforming to stupid rules!
  • Making sure your guests are comfortable and enjoy themselves at an event meant to thank them isn't "conforming to stupid rules". Being offbeat or non-traditional doesn't give you a free pass to make your guests uncomfortable.
  • You can always try something like "bridespeople" and "groomspeople." Or call them your posse.

I don't think that you should stick to wedding traditions to avoid offending or confusing older or more conservative guests. Only you know your guests--we don't. If you check out Offbeat Bride (website), you'll see a lot of weddings with alternative names, and metal bands, and brides and grooms have expressed surprise and joy at how their guests have embraced themes and quirks.

Weddings should be a balance. It's not just a day about you and your partner; it's also a day for your family and friends to celebrate with you. But just as folks will remind you that you shouldn't make your day ALL about you, you shouldn't have to be someone you're not for your wedding day.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Ohhh I like posse! Thanks Phira!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards