Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cocktail hour and meal time question

We have a dry venue, so our "cocktail hour" will consist of a coffee bar with a friend of ours who is a Starbucks Barista, and some party platters. If the cocktail hour is from 12 noon until 1pm, and the meal will be served at 1:15pm, what types of platters should we get? I don't want the guests to be too full for lunch, but I also want to keep them satisfied and occupied during that time while we take pictures with the WP.

*I should note the ceremony will be about 20 minutes long and is at the same location as the reception.

Re: Cocktail hour and meal time question

• I would get veggies and dip, fruit, and cheese and crackers at a minimum.  I think hummus and pita, chips and dip (maybe spinach artichoke or a variety), or a few hot apps would be very nice as well.  I wouldn't really worry about people overeating.  They will control themselves.  

Also, the coffee bar sounds nice, but are you also having other beverages (soda, tea, lemonade) for people that don't like or want coffee?
  • Thanks jessica!

• I agree that veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, and something like hummus with pita chips or even chips and salsa would be good. Since it's lunch and not dinner, I don't think people will need as many heavier/heartier apps as they would for an evening meal.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love the thought of a coffee bar! 

Anything will do. If it were me, I'd serve muffins (sweet & non-sweet varieties, like banana nut & spinach and bacon), biscotti, and fresh fruit. I know it sounds a little breakfast-y, but I think it'd go well with the coffee drinks. 
  • Hmmm..this is a tough one. I can't really think of foods other than breakfast foods or desserts that I would want to eat with coffee.

Are you also serving soda, tea, water, etc?  If that's the case then I'd serve what Jessica suggested.

• Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies.
    @nola we would probably at least have teas for noncoffee drinkers & a water bar during the ceremony, since its outside.

• Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies. @nola we would probably at least have teas for noncoffee drinkers & a water bar during the ceremony, since its outside.
    What time of year is it?  Just making sure you're not planning on having a coffee bar outside in the middle of summer.  Or, at least make iced coffees available.  :D  I would also have iced tea, lemonade and/or a soda option available.
  • Its in may. Ceremony outside & cocktail hour/reception inside. Also, since it is a starbucks barista, he'll be able to do hot, iced and even frapps. :)

• Definitely have other beverage options with no caffeine. I learned at my wedding that you may have pregnant guests and people that don't include caffeine in their diet. This being said don't forget the Splenda or substitute since there are those that don't or can't use real sugar. This is a neat idea and for food/apps for the hour people are most likely going to want lunch type fillers and maybe not so much muffins and morning style coffee snacks. I'd suggest a spinach dip bowl, caprese, and veggies/dip; however, drinking coffee with this might be for those with a different pallet.
  • bdbrumley said:
    Definitely have other beverage options with no caffeine. I learned at my wedding that you may have pregnant guests and people that don't include caffeine in their diet. This being said don't forget the Splenda or substitute since there are those that don't or can't use real sugar. This is a neat idea and for food/apps for the hour people are most likely going to want lunch type fillers and maybe not so much muffins and morning style coffee snacks. I'd suggest a spinach dip bowl, caprese, and veggies/dip; however, drinking coffee with this might be for those with a different pallet.
    Pregnant guests can drink coffee. However I agree, you need some cold, refreshing drinks as well. 
  • I wouldn't overdo it. Cheese and crackers, Veggies and dip, fruit, chips and salsa. Just make sure to have ENOUGH of the items, even if there isn't a lot of variety. I would personally drink a big ole iced coffee and call it a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards