New Jersey

Ceremony start time

Hi everyone, Fellow brides that are having a Friday night wedding with ceremony at church first ,Wondering what time your starting the ceremony & reception?and how far in advance should you book the church? I'm struggling with booking church first or venue.

Re: Ceremony start time

• I am having my wedding on a Saturday. I booked the church first and then found a venue.  My church only did weddings certain times of the week and the times were set, so depending on your church you may not even get to select the time.

Anniversary

• I got engaged March 2012...booked the venue April 2012...tried getting in touch with the church from March-June 2012.  Finally booked the ceremony end of June 2012 for a 2014 wedding.  I wanted to secure the church first but they hadn't even set the communion schedule for 2014 yet so that's why I had to wait.  In the meantime we booked the venue and thankfully everything worked out.

We had originally planned on a Friday night wedding.  My church would have let me choose whatever time.  We were thinking 4pm ceremony and reception to immediately follow.

FI's family said a Friday night wedding would be too hard for them blah blah blah so we had to switch to a Saturday.  Our church only does weddings at 1 & 3pm on a Saturday.  I was able to get the 3pm time slot (full Catholic Mass)  with hospitality starting at 6:30.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Church first. Just remember rush hour in your traveling plans. I attended a wedding on a Friday and it took over an hour to go about 15 miles from the church to the reception. They extended the cocktail hour since we all pretty much missed it but they ended up with a three hour reception instead of four as a result.
  • edited July 2013
  • We are getting married on a Friday night but we are having ceremony and reception at our venue.  We decided to start our ceremony at 6:30pm to allow for rush hour being that our venue is in an area that could have a lot of traffic.   The reception will go from 7-midnight which we thought was fine for a Friday night being that people have the entire weekend to recover :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards