Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

how do i go about getting my fiances wedding ring size?

i'm not sure this is the correct place to put this but i want to get my fiance wedding ring size and get him and engagement ring for his birthday.

he is trying so hard to get me mine i figured i'd gift him with a ring.

this is the ring i have in mind.

It is a........

Tungsten Carbide Men's Black and Blue Carbon Fiber Inlay Ring.

now how would i go about asking or getting his ring finger size?

Re: how do i go about getting my fiances wedding ring size?

• The ring you chose cannot be resized - the metal is too hard. So if you want to do this, you need to know his exact ring size. You can get this by taking him to a jeweler and getting him sized. There really isn't a discrete way to go about it if you want it to fit. You could suggest that you both go and get sized. 
    *********************************************************************************

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

Is he a police officer? Many cops I know wear rings like that with the blue inlay to represent their service in a subtle way. You might want to be cautious with the symbolism

If he's not a cop, why not just buy him a simple gold band that can be resized?

If you realllllyyyyy want it to be a surprise, have him "try on" one of your rings for funzies, and take note of wear it fits on his finger. Take the ring to the jeweler and explain how it fit your FI. The jeweler can rough estimate his size, then.

ETA: My DH wore a "man-gagement" ring (his decision...not mine). I think it's a fun idea.

• Since he's getting you one, tell him you want to go to the jeweler together so you can get sized just to be sure. Then while you're there, say that he might as well get sized now too so you're all set for the wedding rings.
  • WELL I'VE GOTTEN HIM A RING BEFORE BUT IT WAS AT A HIPPIE SHOP HERE IN HOUSTON
     oops sorry my caps are on lol

anyways it fits but i can't remember the size maybe i can take it to a jeweler and find out that way?
  • edited August 2013
    oh and no he isn't a cop he is a mechanic/all track racer and blue is his fave color.
  • This doesn't help you to get his size, but I bought FI the same brand, and it ended up being too big. If you get it at a designer store like Zales, as long as you have the receipt, you can take it back for a refund and order another. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WELL I'VE GOTTEN HIM A RING BEFORE BUT IT WAS AT A HIPPIE SHOP HERE IN HOUSTON
     oops sorry my caps are on lol

anyways it fits but i can't remember the size maybe i can take it to a jeweler and find out that way?
    Yes, this should work. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oh and no he isn't a cop he is a mechanic/all track racer and blue is his fave color.

I think you missed my point. Wearing a black ring with blue inlay is a Police thing. The two Police guys I know who wore them were pretty serious about it, at least. I dated them both, so trust me, I know.

If you wear one of these rings, it's kind of sort of the unspoken thing that you are an officer of the law.

• Awesome i don't know why i didn't think about that
  • i understand your point, but it doesn't bother me its a ring. plus doesn't mean that its in the whole country that the cops have those rings i live in Houston and I've never seen a cop with anything other than their wedding band on. Plus my cousins husband is a cop and he wears nothing other than his wedding band. so i just think its stupid to justify that cops can only wear this ring. its comes from the heart not from some dictating unspoken law in the police force. if it wasn't ok it wouldn't have been sold to the public in the first place. 

Anyway i think he will love it and that's what matters to me :D
  • Yes, if the ring you bought him previously fits his left ring finger you can take it to a jeweler and they can tell you what size it is. There can be slight differences between dominant and non-dominant hands, so be sure it fits the correct finger. Also make sure whereever you order the ring from has a good return policy in case you do need to swap for a different size.
  • i understand your point, but it doesn't bother me its a ring. plus doesn't mean that its in the whole country that the cops have those rings i live in Houston and I've never seen a cop with anything other than their wedding band on. Plus my cousins husband is a cop and he wears nothing other than his wedding band. so i just think its stupid to justify that cops can only wear this ring. its comes from the heart not from some dictating unspoken law in the police force. if it wasn't ok it wouldn't have been sold to the public in the first place. 

Anyway i think he will love it and that's what matters to me :D
    What?

Anniversary

• itzMS said:
    oh and no he isn't a cop he is a mechanic/all track racer and blue is his fave color.

I think you missed my point. Wearing a black ring with blue inlay is a Police thing. The two Police guys I know who wore them were pretty serious about it, at least. I dated them both, so trust me, I know.

If you wear one of these rings, it's kind of sort of the unspoken thing that you are an officer of the law.

I don't understand this.  At all.  How is a ring that is sold to the general public and in no way marketed to police officers a "police officer thing"?  I'm friends with a lot of police officers and I have never seen one of these rings before today.  
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • edited August 2013
    scribe95 said: I wouldn't worry about the cop thing. They don't own the ring for crying out loud.

Also, does your FI like rings? I'm a bit confused but he will have this one and a wedding band on top of that?
    I assume the tungsten/carbon ring is intended to
    be the wedding band. Many men wear alternative metal wedding bands these days.
    ETA: @KnotPorscha, I am so SICK of my quote boxes working just fine until I hit 'post.' What's up with that?!
  • NYCBruin said:
    itzMS said:

I don't understand this.  At all.  How is a ring that is sold to the general public and in no way marketed to police officers a "police officer thing"?  I'm friends with a lot of police officers and I have never seen one of these rings before today.  

The black with blue is a SYMBOL of the police force. (Black with red, Firefighting...you get the idea). When I saw that ring I immediately thought Police Officer (because, I guess, I'm "in the know").

You know how some sororities/fraternities or other organizations have certain colors or symbols that they wear? If you aren't in the organization, you won't necessarily know what it means or even care...but if you are in the organization you can recognize it? That was the point I'm trying to get at.

Obviously, her FI can wear the ring...I just know at least two police officers who have a ring similar and many more who have the black with blue sticker on their car or a black with blue pendant that they wear.

Just a different perspective, that's all.

• i haven't decided if i want to get him this ring as a wedding band or just as a birthday gift but i'll have to figure it out soon his b-day is coming up lol
  • i get that its the police colors totally its just the way you relayed your statement, as in it was not ok to wear the colors.

just got me a little confused my apologies :)

• I don't think anyone would look at a blue ring and think "police officer." That only has connotations to you because you are close to a police officer in your personal life. In general, blue has other connotations like "true blue", honesty, fidelity, etc. Think about "something old/new/borrowed/blue" - blue is a long traditional color in weddings!
  • cap816 said:

itzMS said:

This is beyond dumb.  My sorority "jewel" is a pearl.  Do I think that anyone who wears pearls shares the same letters as me?  Um, no.

No one would ever be able to wear a color, flower or stone if everyone upheld these "unspoken rules" like you say.

Are you a Sigma Kappa?
  • Sorry. Didn't mean to resurrect an almost-zombie thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards