Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Marriage License in PA... Waiting period waiver request?

My fiance and I just moved out of state. We are getting married in PA. We work, A LOT. We still need to get our marriage license. In PA, and most other states, there is a mandatory 3 day waiting period after applying for the license before you are able to pick it up. To apply, we both need to be present. The problem here is that we will not have enough time off from work to make the trip to PA twice (once to apply and once to pick up the license). And we will not have enough time off to just make a weekend out of it. I know you can send a letter requesting a waiver for the waiting period... I was wondering if any one else has requested a waiver for the waiting period in the state of PA? If so, what did you say? Was it a hassle or was it easy? Any information or advice would be helpful! We are open to the county we apply in, though we are leaning towards Cumberland County or any other county on the southern PA boarder. 

Thanks!!!

Re: Marriage License in PA... Waiting period waiver request?

• Options
    In most states, you have to apply for the marriage license in the town/county where the marriage will be taking place. 
  • Options
    In PA you can get it from any county, it doesn't have to be the one you are getting married in. We live in NY but got married in PA, we ended up taking the week of the wedding off so we could get our license. Call the county clerk for the border counties and ask how difficult the waiver is, I had thought it was typically granted for military cases.

BUT when we got our license, you get the license the same day as you apply, you just can't use for three days. Call the Cumberland county clerk and clarify.
  • Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    We just got our license in PA. We got it the same day we applied. It's just not valid for three days after that, but you can take it home that very day. So you only need to take one day off.
  • Options
    Some counties (like York) will let you do the preliminary paperwork (SSN, DOB, etc) online. Good luck!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    wow, i am so glad i asked! thank you all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards