Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Hand fasting Ceremony help

My fiance and I are thinking of doing a hand fasting ceremony and including our kids.It kind of like tying our family together. My question is once we are tied, do we remain tied for the rest of the ceremony? That would make the first kiss incredibly hard.

SN- I know that the meaning behind Celtic tradition of hand fasting but we are adapting it as coming together as a family.

Re: Hand fasting Ceremony help

• Best I can tell because we are also looking into doing this, is that you can either to the fasting, have your officiant say something about it and then take it off or have the fasting say your vows then taking it off before doing your rings.
    Anniversary
  • I've watched many videos in preparation and everyone seems to do their handfasting ritual differently. I will be having a Celtic inspired handfasting myself, but we will only have the cord wrapped around our hands for a specific part of the ceremony, and then have it removed. We'll be unbound for our kiss and then we're jumping a broom.

I think your idea of tying the kids in to your hand fasting is a great idea! You don't have to stay tied to your children for the kiss. The beauty of modern times is you can have your ceremony suit you. :)
  • We'll be including a hand fasting in our ceremony as well since that's how we originally enter into the "trial marriage" that has now ended with a full engagement for a legal marriage :)
    What we did for the first one was handfast and then remained tied as we left the ceremony area before removing the ties (keeping them intact). 
    This time we will keep them on until the start of the reception. 
    But it really is up to the couple, I've seen it done in so many different ways, but the symbolism is powerful no matter how long you remain bound :D
  • Whatever you do, don't include your kids in this unless they expressly indicate that this is something they want to do.  They may not.
  • I'm thinking of doing a hand fasting too, but am having trouble finding scripts that I like. If anyone has done it and doesn't mind sharing their script or vows please share with me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards