Second Weddings
Options

Does this make me look like a bad mom

My children will be 6 and 3 for my wedding.  My 6 year old is an angel, but my 3 year old acts like, well, a 3 year old.  I know he will not be sitting still during the ceremony, he will want to be by me, and he'll be loud.  I want them both there, but maybe an hour into the reception I would like for someone to bring them to their Dad's.  The wedding is over at 10 as well, so I feel like that's late to keep them up anyway.  Does that make me look bad, to the guests, who may be wondering, I wonder why she sent her kids away?

Re: Does this make me look like a bad mom

• Options
    If it makes you  a bad mom  then I'm a bad mom too.  My 6 year old DS is coming early with all the guys, he'll be in the ceremony, spend 30 minutes getting his pictures taken, grab a bite to eat at the cocktail hour (including a single piece of cake made just for him) and then he's leaving.   We really want him there but the reality is he'll be bored to death by the time dinner starts.  He'll be  much happier at his dad's playing with Legos than sitting at a formal dinner for two hours.
  • Options
    It will make you look like a wonderful, thoughtful hostess.  ~Donna
  • Options
    My ceremony time isn't determined yet. But I'm not totally sure if my son will even be present, as if he realizes its a party, he won't want to leave.

That being said, the initial goal is for him to be present for the ceremony and dinner, and then he will be taken to his dads house. He will be the only kid there anyway, and I know he will get bored and pissy when he's tired.

So I guess we are all bad moms lol. My mother doesn't agree and thinks she can hold him down all night, but I could care less what she says, and my son doesn't really listen to her anyway, since we rarely see her.
  • Options
    Can I ask how you ladies are planning on getting your kiddos over to dad's house in the middle of things?  I don't want X coming to pick him up. I don't like the idea of asking someone who is there to take him to meet X, even if it's only 10 minutes away.  And the people I trust and know well enough to be driving DS around are all going to be at the wedding.

I thought very briefly about having X come to the location and designate my brother to have his cell phone on during cocktail hour, just long enough for X to send a text message that says "I'm here," and then have my brother take DS out to his car but, frankly, I know X well enough that he'll never be able to figure out something even that we don't want to risk it. (He'd also probably call my cell phone over and over again, expecting that I'd have it on during my wedding, and leave me increasingly angry messages.)
  • Options
    Thanks! I feel much better now.  To answer your question, I'm not 100% sure what we're doing either. I think I'm going to give my ex a time to be at the wedding, and the number of my brother to text "here."  Then have my brother bring them outside.  I think setting a specific time is a good idea, that way you ensure that the kids have taken all the pictures you need them in.
  • Options
    As a non-parent, I think you look like a great mom.  The kids were there to be a part of the ceremony and they got to hang a little after and celebrate.  They wouldn't necessarily enjoy the whole, long event and there's always a chance of non-kid-friendly moments.  You are being a parent and choosing in their best interests, they see the important part and know it is something to celebrate.

And, of course, it may make for a more relaxed time for adult guests.  It also avoids anyone thinking it unfair that they couldn't bring kids....even the B's kids are just dropping by...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards