Chit Chat
Options

Whitening Teeth

This is a spin-off from the Invisalign discussion (which I would love to do but do not have the current money for as I too stopped wearing my retainer like an idiot, oy!)...anyway my question is:  Have any brides whitened their teeth using OTC products before their big day?  If so, did they work?  Was it worth it?

Re: Whitening Teeth

• Options
    I used crest whitening strips.  I think they were the professional kind.  I used them as stated on the box.  I typically did it in the morning and put them on before I got in the shower just so I could kill two birds with one stone type of thing.  They definitely worked for me, but I don't drink a lot of coffee or red wine or tea so my teeth were already pretty white to begin with the strips just helped to make them a bit brighter.

• Options
    I also used crest whitestrips. A friend of mine is in dental school and she told me to brush my teeth in the morning, then don't brush them at night. In the morning before brushing, do the whitestrips. This helped greatly with the sensitivity. I know it's gross, but it made a huge difference for me. 
  • Options
    I've used the crest 2-hour strips.  I was very hesitant to try them because there are a ton of reviews out there claiming significant sensitivity/pain after use. 

I didn't experience any pain or sensitivity and they worked great.  Like @Maggie0829, my teeth were very white to begin with -- they definitely brightened them though!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I had my teeth professionally whitened a few years ago, and they told me to follow up every once in a while with the crest white strips. I used them before my wedding and while you won't get a huge difference out of them, I think it's enough to make you less self-conscious.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AllieBear725AllieBear725 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    I'm currently whitening as well. I have the ZOOM at home kit. I went to my dentist and had some impressions done for top and bottoms. I have to use it every other night because it makes my teeth SUPER sensitive. I can't even drink coffee unless I'm using a straw. 

They are nice and pearly now though (only been using it about 2 weeks, every other day). It was a pricey kit, but very worth it. The sensitivity goes away after a few days. I don't think I'll use all the tubes that it came with so I should have some to whiten in the future too. 

Also, once you finish the cream it comes with, it's cheaper to buy more. You don't have to pay full price since the most expensive part is the impression trays. 

I have also tried the Crest strips, and they helped. Just not as noticeable of a result for me. 

ETA: Reading fail on my part. The crest ones are great for the price. I know it doesn't say this, but I would leave them on longer for a better result. Also, the results are longer lasting if you get a professional cleaning done before you use the strips since it takes off the general surface stains of your teeth. Be sure you don't drink coffee, red wine, or soda while whitening too because the pores on your teeth are open for almost a week after you stop the process. Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Besides the strips and gels and what not, a lot of whitening systems use Hydrogen Peroxide as a main ingredient.  You can always buy a bottle at the drug store and use it once or twice daily as a wash to help ease into whitening if you are afraid of sensitivity from the strips and gels.

Also, Hydrogen Peroxide is great to clean your rings, according to my jeweler. :-)  Add a couple drops to warm/hot water and drop your rings in there for a few minutes, then rinse.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Besides the strips and gels and what not, a lot of whitening systems use Hydrogen Peroxide as a main ingredient.  You can always buy a bottle at the drug store and use it once or twice daily as a wash to help ease into whitening if you are afraid of sensitivity from the strips and gels.

Also, Hydrogen Peroxide is great to clean your rings, according to my jeweler. :-)  Add a couple drops to warm/hot water and drop your rings in there for a few minutes, then rinse.

Really?  I may have to give that a whirl tonight!

• Options
    I have really sensitive teeth so my dentist told me to use strawberries to whiten my teeth. Sounds crazy but it does work.
  • Options
    AllieBear725AllieBear725 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013

Just be careful not to swish it around in your mouth too long, it started to bother my gums after about 2 weeks of using it. It does work though, just slowly. 

LOL, I mean about the teeth, not the rings. I need to pay more attention today. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It works really well!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I would love to whiten my teeth as well, but I have sensitive teeth and use sensitive toothpaste. The whitening strips sound a little too scary to me. Might have to try the peroxide. 
  • Options
    I have used Crest Whitestrips before but they make my teeth sensitive after about 3-4 days.  I have found that if I use Sensodine or another "sensitive teeth" toothpaste while I use the strips the sensitivity goes away.

I don't drink coffee, tea or red wine so I usually only need to use the strips for 4-5 days before I am satisfied with the results.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Glo glo glo glo glo

Totally worth the price (and if you buy it on sephora, technically you can return it for any reason before 60 days). Crest white strips were too harsh for me, and these worked great. They're awesome.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I also used the crest whitestrips, and that was good enough for me

Anniversary
  • Options
    My teeth are pretty white naturally, so I've never used a whitening product.  My H used Crest Whitestrips before our wedding, though, and they did make a noticeable difference.
  • Options
    I used Crest Whitestrips and I also daily use Crest whitening toothpaste and mouthwash. I am frequently complimented on the whiteness of my teeth. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I can't use Crest Whitestrips because they make my teeth HURT, so my dentist suggested using Colgate Optic White toothpaste. She said to only use it in the morning and to use Sensodyne at night to reduce sensitivity. It doesn't get my teeth as white as the Whitestrips, but that's fine by me.
  • Options
    @PrettyGirlLost hydrogen peroxide works wonders! Over time that is. I've been swishing it once a day for a little over a year now and it's made my teeth 5 to 6 shades whiter! I'm an avid coffee drinker so it got rid of the surface stains really quick and now it's starting to take care of the deeper stains. Plus you can't really beat the price.

I've never tried any other whitening products.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards