Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Where to put future sisters-in-law in the wedding?

baumgartkbaumgartk member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited August 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
My fiance and I are planning a small, intimate, destination wedding. I'm not one of those brides who wants 10 bridesmaids, I view my wedding day as being about my fiance and I instead of our friends. I am looking forward to celebrating our marriage with close family and friends but I am only planning on having three bridesmaids (best friend, sister in law and future sister in law) because I want the wedding to be small and simple. The problem is - my fiance has two other sisters and I don't want to hurt their feelings by excluding them. I think it's important to make family feel included.

These sisters are younger, but not young enough to be junior bridesmaids. We aren't super close and I don't feel like they need to be bridesmaids (especially because I don't want half my wedding guests standing up in the ceremony). However, I want them to feel included in the preparations, getting ready together/hair/makeup done, bridal party photos, etc. My thought was to have them each pick out a coordinating dress to my bridesmaids (either the same dress in a different color or different dress in the same color) and then they can still get ready with everyone, be in the bridal party photos, etc, they just wouldn't stand up during the ceremony. I would also have each do a reading during the ceremony.

But what do I call them in the program? I do not want personal attendants as I don't want them to feel like they are my slave, I just want them to feel included. Can ushers be female? Could they be our ushers? Or is there a female version of an usher?

Re: Where to put future sisters-in-law in the wedding?

• Options
    baumgartk said:
    My fiance and I are planning a small, intimate, destination wedding. I'm not one of those brides who wants 10 bridesmaids, I view my wedding day as being about my fiance and I instead of our friends. I am looking forward to celebrating our marriage with close family and friends but I am only planning on having three bridesmaids (best friend, sister in law and future sister in law) because I want the wedding to be small and simple. The problem is - my fiance has two other sisters and I don't want to hurt their feelings by excluding them. I think it's important to make family feel included.

These sisters are younger, but not young enough to be junior bridesmaids. We aren't super close and I don't feel like they need to be bridesmaids (especially because I don't want half my wedding guests standing up in the ceremony). However, I want them to feel included in the preparations, getting ready together/hair/makeup done, bridal party photos, etc. My thought was to have them each pick out a coordinating dress to my bridesmaids (either the same dress in a different color or different dress in the same color) and then they can still get ready with everyone, be in the bridal party photos, etc, they just wouldn't stand up during the ceremony. I would also have each do a reading during the ceremony.

But what do I call them in the program? I do not want personal attendants as I don't want them to feel like they are my slave, I just want them to feel included. Can ushers be female? Could they be our ushers? Or is there a female version of an usher?

I think you should keep your bridesmaids as is, and invite his sisters to participate in the events you want them to be included in, you can ask them if they want to wear matching dresses. I think that is good enough. No special titles, no extra duties just include them.
  • Options
    Why do you want them to "feel included" if you aren't going to ask them to be bridesmaids or readers?

Just having them as guests still "includes" them.
  • Options

Girls can be ushers.  I don't see why not.  Maybe help pass out programs?  I like readers too. 

Do they need to wear a matching dress or close style?  Maybe give them the option of what they want to wear.  If they are younger and not in the wedding party they might want something else?

• Options
    ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    How many sisters does your fiance have total and how many are you including? I know that technically you don't have a responsibility to include all if you include one, but if my brother's fiancée chose my sister and not me as a bridesmaid, I'd be bummed. Just something to think about, I know you said they're younger, so it might not be an issue.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The term usher isn't gendered. Women and men are ushers. But since your wedding is so small, I think that position might be unnecessary.

I like your ideas of having them get ready with you or doing readings. But don't ask them to co-ordinate their dresses. Co-ordinating dresses are for bridesmaids, which they are not.

In the program they can be listed as groom's sisters.
  • Options

Girls can be ushers.  I don't see why not.  Maybe help pass out programs?  I like readers too. 

Do they need to wear a matching dress or close style?  Maybe give them the option of what they want to wear.  If they are younger and not in the wedding party they might want something else?

Being an usher, if that's your only "job" is kind of shitty (I've only seen GM who are also ushers prior to the ceremony). No one wants to pass out programs. Put out a basket and people can pick them up themselves.

Have them do a reading and get their hair/makeup done. Don't coordinate dresses. That crosses the line into bridal party. 

Don't give them jobs like passing out programs or guestbook attendant. Those are not honors. 
    Ditto misssunshine all the way. Just invite them to get ready and/or do a reading. Don't make them buy a special dress.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I was an usher in my cousins wedding when I was 15 (I am female btw...). I was totally excited to be involved. The jury is still out on the usher debate - some people think it's a shitty job, others think it's nice. Personally when I was asked to be an usher, I was super excited and had a ton of fun greeting all the guests. Doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone. 

If you're having an intimate DW, I don't really see the need for ushers. You don't need to make them BMs. Invite them dress shopping. Invite them accessories shopping (maybe buy them something to wear if they want it). Invite them to get their hair/make-up done with you. All those are nice things where there's no obligation or hurt feelings if they decline. At least you offered.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Have them do a reading and get their hair/makeup done. Don't coordinate dresses. That crosses the line into bridal party. 

Don't give them jobs like passing out programs or guestbook attendant. Those are not honors. 
    This.  And I'm not saying this to be snarky, but for future reference, it is sisters-in-law.
  • Options
    As a sister-in-law at my brother's wedding, I never expected any special treatment.
  • Options

Honorary Bridesmaids... Depending on their ages, you said they were younger, maybe 

Princess Bridesmaids, or Brides Princesses...even Princesses of Honor.

Seeing how there the grooms sisters maybe Grooms Princesses

You can call them what ever you want. There is no traditional name for something you made up

• Options
    OP, I think you have a title for them-readers.  Readers are part of the wedding, but wear whatever they want.  They can be listed in your programs if you have them, and are invited to the rehearsal dinner even if it is kept very small.  They get thank you gifts and can help you get ready.  Easy!  Problem solved. 
  • Options

Honorary Bridesmaids... Depending on their ages, you said they were younger, maybe 

You can call them what ever you want. There is no traditional name for something you made up

Gross. No.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Blech.
  • Options
    I did say that I am going to ask them to be readers. And I want them to feel more included than a regular guest because I know that if it was my brothers wedding, I would want to feel a bigger part of it. 
  • Options
    Could you get them flowers? Corsages might make them feel more honored as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

What?! This has me laughing out loud picturing myself reading "princesses of honor" or "grooms princesses" on a wedding program.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Not knowing how old they are, you might just want to have them help you with something relating to planning the actual wedding. I'm in the Big Brother Big Sister Program and I had my 9 year old (little sister) help me put together welcome bags for the wedding and come up with ideas for the guest book. She had a ball and really felt like a part of it. Little kids love little crafts and projects like that. 

So if they are young, you might want to consider have them help out with some preparation for the wedding. They don't always have to be a bridesmaid or a reader. Otherwise, I like the idea of just giving them a corsage if necessary. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My SIL came with us to get our hair and makeup done. But we didn't put her in the program or anything.
  • Options
    They're his sisters, they're immediate family. So include them in all the events that the family does and all the events that the wedding party does. The rehearsal dinner, the getting ready, the shower/lunch/bachelorette parties, etc. You can give them a corsage the way you would for the parents/grandparents. And you can include them in "girl pictures". 

Really, the ONLY difference is they won't be wearing matching dresses and walking down the aisle. I can't think of ANYTHING else that is exclusive to the wedding party unless you choose it to be so. 
  • Options

Are you fucking kidding me?
  • Options
    Reader is an hon

This is a joke, right?
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Inviting them to the pre-wedding events, having them do a reading, and consider getting them a corsage as well, will be honourable. 
  • Options
    Is your fiance open to asking them to be his attendants? Again, you haven't mentioned their ages, so I'm not quite sure how eager they'd even be to be involved. I don't think you need to rack your brain looking for a role for them. There's plenty of honor in reader and guest.
  • Options

If you're being sarcastic please stick around because your post made me laugh.

If you're being serious: no, just no.

Don't make up titles. You can include your future sisters in law by inviting them to events and/or doing a reading.

If you aren't going to include them in the bridal party, it's really shitty to ask them to match.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards