Moms and Maids

Mom and Future MIL Possible War

I admit I am writing this right after getting off the phone with mom after she has, to put it nicely, yelled me out about this whole thing, but I need an outsider's take on this whole situation.

Months ago, future MIL asked FI what she could do to help out with wedding stuff. FI told her that it would be nice for her to throw me a bridal shower, and she agreed. She then at a later date asked me if that would be okay if she did it and I said yes. She then said she was thinking about having it at her church, to which I said I wasn't sure if that would work out... and she said okay and dropped the subject. So a couple weeks go by and FI was on the phone with her and the wedding got brought up and she said to FI that she thought that I sounded uncomfortable with the shower being at her church. FI told her that yes, I was uncomfortable with it, because my family is of a totally different religion, and some of them would probably be uncomfortable going. So she said okay and I guess the subject changed- that's what FI said. Future MIL asked me for a guest list through facebook which I wrote up with my mom and sent to her (when I sent her the guest list I asked her if she had any plans yet for the shower, like where it was going to be and when, and she didn't reply). 

Well, fast forward to now. Future MIL sent out invites for the shower to be held in August, marked as being at her church. I feel very uncomfortable seeing this. Of course, I get my mother calling me up VERY upset- she is almost yelling at me (and sometimes is yelling at me) saying that the only thing she wanted was for me to get married by a priest and I couldn't even give her that, to which I said no mom, we are not getting married by any religion- my wedding will not have anything to do with any religion, to which she says what am I talking about yes it does-the bridal shower is at that church and I said that has nothing to do with the wedding part- and you get the idea. She also throws at me that my aunt, who is also religious like my mother called her up after she got her invite and was very upset and I guess future MIL addressed it to my aunt and her friend who is her guest like "Bessie and Carrie Smith" as if they were a gay couple, which is the phrase she used and my mother said she was very offended. On my guest list I had them separate, and I told my mom this, but it didn't matter (like somehow this is my fault?).

So she said a lot of other things that I am hoping were just 'heat of the moment' things because she was angry and hung up on me. At the moment, I have no idea what to do. On the phone I asked her "What would you have me do?" (to which she had no reply) knowing she was very angry and honestly wondering if she expected me to do something about it. I was uncomfortable from the beginning when religion was first brought up. I feel like this is war- mom and future MIL don't know each other (maybe met once) and now I know this will ruin any possible civil relationship. Future MIL tried pushing us to get married in her church when we first got engaged and we put our foot down with that too, just like I did with my mom with the priest, and now this has happened.

I know it probably looks like my mom is blowing up over nothing to people who don't know her, but I get where she is coming from because now future MIL gets her way with this and my mom doesn't have her religion 'represented' or w/e. I did try to have this whole thing non-religious. Now I feel like people will assume that I am of this religion, when I'm totally agnostic and don't associate with any at all. With invites already sent out and everything, what can I do to make this not a huge problem? How would you handle this? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mom and Future MIL Possible War

• I can understand being a little flustered with having it at a church when you are not religious but here are some facts:

Churches are usually pretty inexpensive or free to rent.
    You aren't required to use their catering/or pick from their approved caterers so food is much less expensive.
    If your shower guest list was bigger than your FMIL's house could handle, this might be the only thing that fits into her budget. I would get all the facts before you start an all out war.
    This makes sense, but she did just have a 4th of July party and invited over 50 people to her house (which I wouldn't have thought would hold that many people). The bridal shower was a guest list I sent of about 20 people (she may have added her own though- I did not see the final list).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would just indicate to your mom that the planning was not up to you and you expressed your desire that the shower be somewhere other than FMIL's church.  Then tell your mom and any other relatives on your side (or have your mom tell them) that if they are uncomfortable attending to just RSVP no.
  • I can understand being a little flustered with having it at a church when you are not religious but here are some facts:

Churches are usually pretty inexpensive or free to rent.
    You aren't required to use their catering/or pick from their approved caterers so food is much less expensive.
    If your shower guest list was bigger than your FMIL's house could handle, this might be the only thing that fits into her budget. I would get all the facts before you start an all out war.
    This makes sense, but she did just have a 4th of July party and invited over 50 people to her house (which I wouldn't have thought would hold that many people). The bridal shower was a guest list I sent of about 20 people (she may have added her own though- I did not see the final list).
    First, not your business how she chose to spend her money/resources. 

That being said, I do understand your frustrations. The one thing I asked my BM's to do if they were going to throw a shower was that they not do it within two weeks of the wedding, and that it be on a Saturday so my family could come.  Then the bridesmaid known as Attention Prostitute decided to take a vacation for the entire month of August (and she decided this 3 weeks ago).  And since MOH is her step sister, she avoids confrontation by catering to her (something I will address tactfully in person this weekend).  So, now my shower will be 10 days before the wedding, on a Wednesday, at night.  Yeah.  But, I have chosen to accept the offer of the shower, since the MOH is doing her best, and I am ok with my mother not being there.

Having it at a church doesn't mean that they are going to shove their religion down your throat either.  It just means it's at a church.  You aren't the host, and like you said,  your mom is overreacting.  If someone nervy asks you about your religious affiliation, remind them that you weren't hosting the shower, and then bean dip the heck out of them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • d2vad2va member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    If I were you, I would be bothered especially since not only you, but also your FI told your FMIL that a Church shower would make you uncomfortable. 

Im Jewish, and my FI is Catholic and I dont think anyone in their right mind ( my parents, bridal party , FSILs etc)  would not only suggest it, but then go along with it any ways even after I had expressed my concern. 

We are having and interfaith wedding, but I feel it would be inappropriate whether it was in a Shul, or in a Church. 

Unfortunately, theres nothing you can do now. I wouldnt even bother bringing it up with you FMIL as the invitations went out, and the deed was pretty much done as your mother is going to be ticked off either way.

I would def. call your mother though, and just get her to calm down a bit, and explain to her that you were offered a shower by FMIL, and that you did express how you did not want it to be in a Church. Also explain to her that its done, and theres nothing else to really do about it so theres no sense in being upset about it much longer. Just be nice! :)
  • d2va said:
    If I were you, I would be bothered especially since not only you, but also your FI told your FMIL that a Church shower would make you uncomfortable. 

Im Jewish, and my FI is Catholic and I dont think anyone in their right mind ( my parents, bridal party , FSILs etc)  would not only suggest it, but then go along with it any ways even after I had expressed my concern. 

We are having and interfaith wedding, but I feel it would be inappropriate whether it was in a Shul, or in a Church. 

Unfortunately, theres nothing you can do now. I wouldnt even bother bringing it up with you FMIL as the invitations went out, and the deed was pretty much done as your mother is going to be ticked off either way.

I would def. call your mother though, and just get her to calm down a bit, and explain to her that you were offered a shower by FMIL, and that you did express how you did not want it to be in a Church. Also explain to her that its done, and theres nothing else to really do about it so theres no sense in being upset about it much longer. Just be nice! :)
    I did all of the bolded, but mom just kept saying angry things. I'm just not going to bring it up or talk about it, and if mom or my aunt bring it up I am just going to bean dip them, because I feel all that could be said about has already been said. For the record, I am annoyed that FMIL did this even though she knew it would be problematic, but I am just going to try and not talk about it. I am just really bummed that mom got as upset about it as she did... hopefully it blows over. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel sorry for you. This situation isn't your fault. Since you told your FMIL that you didn't want the shower to be held at her church, she should have backed out if that was her only option. But your mom and aunt are definitely overreacting. 

I agree with OliveOilsMom. Give her a little time to cool off before you talk to her. If your mom wants, she can host a shower for your side of the family, not that you should suggest it to her. I hope she comes to her senses and decides that you should enjoy your shower. 

• I think your mom is just being petty and out of line here.  It's not even as though she's upset on your behalf.  My opinion would be very different if that were the case, but it sounds like she was pissed at you (as though it's your fault) before even knowing that you let MIL know that it wasn't ideal. 

FWIW - I would never think someone's shower location is reflective of them, but rather of the host.  It's not like your shower will be on the altar where you'll be served communion or something.  I'm guessing it's in a rental area that is used for non-religious-specific events all of the time.   

I don't participate in any religion now, but I know that the rental space in my childhood church is used by relatives of church members for non-relgious gatherings and events all of the time. 

Just stick to what you said and don't talk with mom about it, and if she just pushes it, just keep reiterating, "I'm not hosting this event.  I have no control over anything except the guest list, which I worked with you on."  End of story.  Good luck!

• Thanks everyone- I spoke with her this morning and she didn't bring it up and I didn't either, so I feel like it's blown over for now. I figure if it gets brought up again in any context I am going to try and shut it down quick by saying I didn't want it there, but I didn't plan it, and what's done is done and change the subject. Thanks for all the help- it helped me put things in perspective. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with Saraic here, your mom sounds out of line on this one and pretty selfish. She is not throwing the shower and if she is so unhappy maybe someone else like your aunt could throw you a shower for your side. She has the option to go or stay home and pout.. It's not like your going to go into a prayer service, you are only using their church hall. I agree, it was probably because of space and seating.

I know our church rents out the reception hall to all kinds of groups, Homeowner Associations, Scouts,  a Slavic church,etc. Surely your mom can be unselfish for one day after all it's a party honoring her daughter.

You also mentioned that your fiancé suggested the shower to your fmil when she asked what she could do. You told her that "you weren't sure that would work". Maybe you should have declined it if you knew it would be such a big deal. I would just go with the flow and thank her for doing this for you. I am sure she didn't intentionally do this to hurt you and your family.

• @lyndsay782, you call one of your BMs "Attention Prostitute"?

Sorry to derail OP, you've got good advice though and seems like the situation will blow over.
  • ZeroOrchestra I called her something else and a fellow knottie came up with that nickname as a polite alternative for these forums. 

It's sort of stuck.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure we can say "attention whore" here.
  • I think the worst offense here is that your FMIL was told by both you and her son that having the event in her church would make you uncomfortable, and she did it anyway.  Maybe it was a financial issue, and maybe she has connections at the church that would rent her the space for free or something.  And a lot of churches have perfectly nice reception areas.  All you can really do at this point is show up.  However, if religious elements start seeping into the event itself, i think you're perfectly within your rights to leave - your shower shouldn't be an inquisition.

If your family doesn't feel comfortable attending your FMIL's shower, they can throw a separate one.  But unless this is intended to force an unwanted religion on you, which seems unlikely, it's just a location like any other hall or restaurant that they could have rented.

• Sorry, I'm failing to see what the big deal is. Someone had said above that church rooms are usually really cheap or free to rent out, and that might just be the case. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not religious, but I just don't get how someone could be so red-faced mad about this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I understand where you are coming from. This isn't your fault though.  You made your feelings known to your FMIL about having an event at the church...she even acknowledged the fact that it made you uncomfortable to your FI. So, why she chose to do it anyway is beyond me.  I know that money could have been a factor but I'm sure there are other halls to rent that would also be cheap.

I also understand your mother being upset.  Like you said, to her it likely comes across as your FMIL somehow getting her way with the church thing.

All you can do is express your apologies to your mother.  I can only hope that your FMIL had her heart in the right place when planning this.  You didn't chose the venue so your mother shouldn't take her frustrations out on you.  And as far as your aunts invite...I get that she was offended but whats done is done.  I hope everything works out for the best. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Out of curiosity, what did your FI say about all of this?
  • @ erina27 he avoids conflict almost at all costs- back when this happened he was annoyed but basically had the attitude of 'what's done is done' because invites did already go out. I'm not sure if he did talk to her at all or not- he hardly talks to his mom (maybe once every two months). 

Anyway, it has been a tense 'elephant in the room' but I've been able to avoid any heated discussions/arguments since the original post happened. The shower is this Saturday- so wish me luck- let's hope all goes as smoothly as it can in this awkward situation. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, the shower is over, and over-all I think it went okay. There were a bunch of awkward silences and no music to make them less silent, but the food was fine and it was really wonderful to see my friends all in one place (they are from different parts of the state, so most had never met in person before). And the moms said hi to each other without killing each other (and without making any eye contact), but basically avoided each other till the 'goodbyes'. 

*shrug* I guess it definitely could have been much worse!! 

Thanks for all the support, by the way. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay! No murder = success! :)  Glad it went ok!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards