Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registry Help

Sooo our wedding started out at 80 people. I went and registered at BB and B, Macys and did a honeymoon registry. The invite list is now 140. Do i need to add to the registry? My fiance wanted me to put less things on the registry so we can get more cash gifts. I told him people are gonna give whatever theyre gonna give. I dont have 140 things listed at all.  i may have 70 if that. About how many things should I have. And i'm not even sure what i would add. Halp!!!!

Re: Registry Help

• Options
    If ypi have something to add, add it. You can uprade current towels, linens, kitchen utensils. If you don't need anything else though, keep it as is. People will either give you cash, gift cards, or whatever they want.

Anniversary
  • Options

Two things:

Are you having a shower?

Get rid of your honeymoon registry. This post is about to blow up with people telling you they're rude. I'm assuming you didn't find out the details of how they work.  You only get a portion of the amount your guest pays as a gift.  Just get rid of it.  People will give you cash anyway.  You can have your small registry full of upgrades.  I'd add to it a bit if you're having a shower but otherwise it's probably a decent size as long as it has a variety of price points.  Just please, look around on this board to learn about honeymoon registries...and then delete yours.

• Options
    Honeymoon registries are super tacky because you end up getting a check, not the actual thing they 'buy.' I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt in that many people don't understand this when they sign up. 

70 items are plenty. If you have a shower, add more. 
  • Options
    I will delete it! Thank you!  And there isn't going to be a shower.
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think you can ever put too much on your registry for one reason: completion discounts. If you think you'll buy any of those things in the next year, add it and you usually get a discount after your wedding (I think it was 10% at Macys, same at Target). If you don't really plan on buying lots of new stuff in the coming year, though, the smaller your registry the more likely people are to give cash.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I will delete it! Thank you!  And there isn't going to be a shower.
    What do people usually do at weddings in your circle? I know some regions people very rarely give cash at weddings, it's considered rude. In other areas no one gives a physical gift at the wedding and only does cash. 

If you're not in primarily physical-gift giving circle, your 70 items sounds fine (depending on price range). A smaller registry might encourage more cash gifts.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've never been to a wedding. :-/
  • Options
    Youve NEVER been to a wedding???

Ditto *confused*.

Has your FI never been to a wedding? Your mom? Your FMIL? Any sisters or FSIL? Bridesmaids?

It's probably easier to ask around to your friends and family. Some regions are very much cash-only at weddings. Some people think giving a physical gift is the only way to go. Some regions are a 50/50 mix of cash or physical boxed gifts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards