Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination Wedding Jamaica VS Riviera Maya Mexico HELP!!!

Hello All! I am new to the Knot but am in need of desperate help with my destination wedding! I have been engaged for 8mths with a date set for July 2014! (Basically around the corner) I have decided on having a destination wedding at an all inclusive resort..the PROBLEM is that I can't decide on where to get married Jamaica or Mexico. I found out that I am very indecisive in selecting my wedding location. The resort chain I chose have locations in both Negril, Jamaica & Riviera Maya Mexico. Here's my issue: The Jamaica resort is a smaller resort so don't offer as many perk's as the large luxurious Mexican resort. The Jamaica Resort is 1 1/2 hrs away from the airport where as the Mexico resort is 20mins away from an airport. The wedding package is basically the same minus 3 accommodations at the Jamaican resort that is not offered there. The Only pro to the Jamaican resorts is that the marriage requirements are not as complex as in Mexico. In Mexico in order for it to be legalized the ceremony has to be performed by a judge in Spanish and then translated. I am a U.S citizen who doesn't speak Spanish. Also the arrival time is about 3 days before the wedding in Mexico which would take away from days used after the wedding for our honeymoon bc we are doing it all together. The question is do I take the hassle of the Mexican marriage requirements in order to have the best resort & full wedding package or go the simple route and have the wedding in Jamaica at a beautiful smaller resort????????? Please offer any opinions & help

Re: Destination Wedding Jamaica VS Riviera Maya Mexico HELP!!!

• Options

I'm a little biased since we had our wedding in Mexico. :)  However, just given the distance to and from the airport, I would go with the resort in Mexico.  We had some guests who traveled just for two or three nights, so it was important to us to make the transport as easy and quick as possible, especially with those who might be nervous with international travel.

You might want to double-check on the marriage requirements at the resort.  We got legally married there, and our ceremony was performed in English.  Our only translation requirement was that our marriage certificate was in Spanish, and in order to get my social security card and everything else swapped over, I had to get our certificate translated. 

We did have to be at the resort three days before, but our resort actually had a two-day requirement for even a symbolic ceremony, so that was no big deal for us.

Either way, I'm sure it will be fantastic!  Good luck with the decision. :)

• Options
    Thank you so much for responding! Your input was very useful. I will be checking into having the ceremony performed in English. I do have an additional question if you do not mind telling me: which resort you were married at?
  • Options
    A lot of brides have problems with all the legal red tape for marriages in Mexico, so they choose to go the symbolic route.  I am getting married in March in Punta Cana and instead of the hassle, we are getting married by a judge by ourselves before we go and then we will have our actual wedding (symbolic) at the resort.
  • Options
    Well we are getting married at sandals montego bay.  It really is a great resort and is huge.  It has its  own private beach and they do so much for you!  Also alot of the girls checked out beach bum vacations and I myself am using my aunt who is a travel agent.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much for responding! Your input was very useful. I will be checking into having the ceremony performed in English. I do have an additional question if you do not mind telling me: which resort you were married at?
    We got married at Beach Palace in Cancun.
  • Options
    Thanks that's also a good idea! No worries of receiving wedding license & it's already filed in-state..something to think about! Thank you
  • Options
    Thanks for responding..I'm looking into getting a travel agent to help with packages for the guest.
  • Options
    I honestly thought planning a destination wedding would be less stressful than a local wedding lol
  • Options
    I am biased toward Jamaica b/c that's where I got married.  My resort was also a 1.5 hour ride from the airport.  Mexico was also on my list, but I crossed it off after learning about the requirements for having a legal ceremony (which was not negotiable on my end).

The bright side is you've got your choices narrowed down!  The super hard part for me was narrowing down the location :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Thanks for responding..I'm looking into getting a travel agent to help with packages for the guest.

Lots of ladies have raved about Beach Bum Vacations as an agent to help. Worth checking out!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards